I've googled quite a bit but I can't find a definitive answer..

I figured crackberry was the place to go if I wanted to get a accurate answer, so I'm glad to be here right now.

I called tmobile today to upgrade to a curve, love their service sometimes... I've had my sidekick 3 for a year now and I decided I hated it and wanted to get a Curve... the lady gave me 250$ off and a 100$ mail in rebate, free shipping and I was on my way.

Anyways though, the first person I talked to on tmobile was real cool and was talking to me about his Curve for some time, and he told me that with @home he could connect to his and anybodies router. I read that @home wasn't even out yet.. so I wasn't sure about that. When I talked to the supervisor she was telling me I needed to buy Unlimited Hotspot to be able to connect to WiFI and get the unlimited "free" voice/data.

Talked to a friend of mine who is an old T-Mobile CSR and an ex-Curve user, she let me know that both were bull****ting me and I could connect to any wifi for free and didn't have to buy a service, though she said they would tell me that i needed to buy a tmobile router for this and she was right.

So my question to all of you curve users, what's right?
    07-06-08 06:05 PM
    Welcome to CB. They are both right. You do not need an @home/hotspot plan to connect you curve to a wifi network. Without a plan however, any calls you make using wifi/UMA, will be counted from your voice plan. The @home/hotspot plan merely gives you an unlimited voice plan for wifi calling.
    07-06-08 06:12 PM
    So all texts sent and received while connected to the WiFi will be counted unless I buy the-

Extra Minutes
    Unlimited HotSpot Calling
    Make and receive unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi both at home or at any U.S. T-Mobile HotSpot location anytime day or night.
    $9.99 per month

Disappointment.

And from what I understand the blackberry data plan doesn't include texts. The supervisor should have done a better job, I still have so many questions.. I think I'll have to call back.

the lady I spoke to sounded maybe 60 years old and I should have transfered again.
    07-06-08 06:17 PM
    The confusion comes from T-mobile's naming scheme. In the beginning, the @Home was used to reference UMA calling, but that eventually changed when T-mobile launched its VOIP service. Now the UMA calling is known as HotSpot calls while the VOIP service is now called @Home. Clear as mud?

As for your other question, calling over WiFi is done through UMA on the BB Curve. You can connect to any access point to make voice calls, but it will count against your minutes. The access point can be any 802.11 b/g router; it doesn't have to be purchased from T-mobile. If you want unlimited voice calls over WiFi, then you have to add a $10 option to your plan; however, the unlimited HotSpot option is just voice only, so SMS/MMS text messages will be charged at the regular rate.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
    Last edited by errzone; 07-06-08 at 07:03 PM.
    07-06-08 06:57 PM
    Sure does.

Has anyone had problems with tmobile being so vague?

I told the lady I would like to get rid of my sidekick data plan and be given the equivalent for my blackberry. She told me my bill will be around ~65$ so I imagine she didn't give me unlimited text messaging or the "Unlimited Add-on" plan ( though I think that's a requirement am I right?

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to tell them when I call.

Also, my aunt really works at Avon but when I asked the supervisor she told me that my aunt would have had to be the name on my account for me to get a better deal on the phone or the 15% off my bill. Should I call back?
    07-06-08 07:07 PM
    Alright, I got this taken care of.

I called back and talked to a woman, who had no clue what she was doing, she told me that I was crazy for thinking that I would get free voice over WiFi.

I told her I wanted her to double check, she said that it would still take from my minutes and that I also couldn't do unlimited internet unless I have the hotspot at home service.

So I told her that she was wrong from what I was reading and while I was saying that she said "oh ok" and hung up.

called back, talked to another person and got the correct information.. or at least what I wanted to hear.

So what do i do first when I get it :s
    07-06-08 08:46 PM
    Oh the joys of relying on customer reps.
    07-06-08 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD