My phone was working fine yesterday then pretty much out of no where it became unresponsive. The phone turns on but none of the buttons work, sometimes the trackball will let me scroll around but thats pretty much it. Ive tried battery pulls tried restoring the phone and still nothing..does anyone have any ideas?
    04-26-10 07:42 AM
    Sound suspiciously like moisture damage - steam in a bathroom, sweat from your pocket? If not, could be a hardware failure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 07:53 AM
    nah its def not moisture damage, it was kinda sudden and just sitting a table with case on it, so its prob not moisture damge. You think if i wiped the phone and re-installed the os that might work?
    04-26-10 08:10 AM
    I posted in the other guys topic as well. I have the same problem as you. Trackball moves around no keys work. I took the whole damn thing apart, put it back together, still nothing. No moisture on mine either, i think there is something else going on with these curves b/c this is a common problem i found when researching this past weekend.
    04-26-10 09:12 AM
    Yes, try wiping the phone completely and re-loading an OS, if not I suspect hardware and would take it to the appropriate place to get a replacement
    04-26-10 09:14 AM
    My sons Curve did the same thing-unfortunately it was a hardware failure and it was history. I tried a complete wipe and download of another OS, nothing worked.
    04-26-10 09:15 AM
    thanks guys
    04-26-10 09:59 AM
    OK Den, I'm going to try this tonight. This is from Blackberry.com's Forums and seems to yield all good results. I'll post my findings later but in case you have the option to triying now.

Originally Posted Blackberry.com Forum - Goods
    Re: Curve 8330 keyboard not working!!Options
    Mark as New
    04-17-2010 06:09 PM

Ok I just finished fixing my wife's Curve (Pink) 8330 for Verizon. Below I will explain what I did, it is similar to a previous poster, but I will just be a little more descriptive because I know how helpful that can be.

She was having the same exact issues as mentioned all over this post, the trackball was working and no button press worked. I like a previous poster was for sure it was all my wife's fault. She is pretty careless about her phones.

She did have a gel cover on it, but in this case it didn't seem that humidity was the problem.

I was determined to fix it

I did the following

Removed and put the battery back in about 3 times with - no change.

I took the battery out overnight 8 hours or so and then any really hard button press yielded a "2" or "5".

Removed the battery then the memory card - no change

I then took out the 5 piece torx driver set and proceeded to dismantle the phone, you will need a #5 and #6 Torx

(There are some videos on youtube to help with the order of operations)

After you remove the cover, there are 4 #6 torx screws that need to be removed to get under the keypad so you can clean it.

Once you get to that point there is a white membrane covering the electronics for the keyboard.

I first took a cuetip and cleaned the whole top of the white membrane (while you are there you might as well). It probably does nothing to help though.

Then I carefully peeled the white keyboard membrane up (from the bottom) revealing the copper disks (big one on the motherboard for each key and a smaller one attached to the membrane)

My guess is that when these disks make contact (membrane to board) it registers a keystroke.

I did not fully remove the membrane, I just peeled it up to when I could see the trackball disk (top button row).

At that point I got some more cuetips and carefully cleaned every single copper disk (big and small) I went through about 8 cuetips by the time I was done, they were turning black after a few disks. Be careful not to swipe it all over the white membrane. It has an adhesive that makes it stick back on the board.

I let the phone airdry for a few minutes and put it back together. FIred it up and it works like new again.

There must have been some gunk built up between a few of the buttons that was simulating a button hold.

Hope this helps some folks.

Joe

So it seems that the membrane between the keyboard and motherboard gets so dirty that it will cause some sort of contact click. When the device thinks theres a click, no other keys work.
    04-26-10 10:05 AM
    That is courageous. Well done!
    04-26-10 01:04 PM
    Going to monitor for the next few days but it seems that the problem plaguing our Curve's is the contact board and membrane under the keyboard. Mine works effortlessly now.
    04-26-10 06:14 PM
    if have insurance get a replacement or if due for an upgrade get a new phone

good luck
    04-27-10 12:02 AM
    OK Den, I'm going to try this tonight. This is from Blackberry.com's Forums and seems to yield all good results. I'll post my findings later but in case you have the option to triying now.

Originally Posted Blackberry.com Forum - Goods
    Re: Curve 8330 keyboard not working!!Options
    Mark as New
    04-17-2010 06:09 PM

Ok I just finished fixing my wife's Curve (Pink) 8330 for Verizon. Below I will explain what I did, it is similar to a previous poster, but I will just be a little more descriptive because I know how helpful that can be.

She was having the same exact issues as mentioned all over this post, the trackball was working and no button press worked. I like a previous poster was for sure it was all my wife's fault. She is pretty careless about her phones.

She did have a gel cover on it, but in this case it didn't seem that humidity was the problem.

I was determined to fix it

I did the following

Removed and put the battery back in about 3 times with - no change.

I took the battery out overnight 8 hours or so and then any really hard button press yielded a "2" or "5".

Removed the battery then the memory card - no change

I then took out the 5 piece torx driver set and proceeded to dismantle the phone, you will need a #5 and #6 Torx

(There are some videos on youtube to help with the order of operations)

After you remove the cover, there are 4 #6 torx screws that need to be removed to get under the keypad so you can clean it.

Once you get to that point there is a white membrane covering the electronics for the keyboard.

I first took a cuetip and cleaned the whole top of the white membrane (while you are there you might as well). It probably does nothing to help though.

Then I carefully peeled the white keyboard membrane up (from the bottom) revealing the copper disks (big one on the motherboard for each key and a smaller one attached to the membrane)

My guess is that when these disks make contact (membrane to board) it registers a keystroke.

I did not fully remove the membrane, I just peeled it up to when I could see the trackball disk (top button row).

At that point I got some more cuetips and carefully cleaned every single copper disk (big and small) I went through about 8 cuetips by the time I was done, they were turning black after a few disks. Be careful not to swipe it all over the white membrane. It has an adhesive that makes it stick back on the board.

I let the phone airdry for a few minutes and put it back together. FIred it up and it works like new again.

There must have been some gunk built up between a few of the buttons that was simulating a button hold.

Hope this helps some folks.

Joe

So it seems that the membrane between the keyboard and motherboard gets so dirty that it will cause some sort of contact click. When the device thinks theres a click, no other keys work.
    Just did this. All back up and running again. Hopefully it lasts. If not, I'll be back on here :lol:
    05-01-10 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD