None of the buttons/keys do anything on my curve. After pulling the battery the phone powers up and retrieves mail etc then the screen goes blank. At no time are any of the keys active and I cannot get the screen back without doing another battery pull.

any ideas?

I backup my stuff and am going to do a OS update next unless there is something else to try.

thanks
    08-18-09 11:27 PM
    Well if it does it after a battery pull sounds like either:

A) Your OS is hosed so if it will let you update then go for it.
    B) Your mainboard is hosed.

D.
    08-18-09 11:32 PM
    thanks, I'll see if it will let me upgrade if not warranty
    08-18-09 11:34 PM
    Any liquid/moisture get in the BB, especially the keyboard/trackball area?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 01:19 AM
    Any liquid/moisture get in the BB, especially the keyboard/trackball area?

I think so. I usually have it in my jersey pocket when mountain biking (to listen to pandora) . today I did a 12 hour ride so I put it in a zip lock to protect it from massive sweat. I pulled it out and the bag was steamy. so water damage is the most likely culprit.
    08-19-09 01:21 AM
    Then, take the battery out and put both in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice. Whataya waiting for? Do it like hours ago!!!

08-19-09 01:33 AM
    I think so. I usually have it in my jersey pocket when mountain biking (to listen to pandora) . today I did a 12 hour ride so I put it in a zip lock to protect it from massive sweat. I pulled it out and the bag was steamy. so water damage is the most likely culprit.
    Yeah, that sounds like water damage. It could be temporary and fix itself, I would allow it to dry overnight, maybe using the rice trick,

For future bike rides, I know there is a water-proof case out there, I just can't remember who makes it. I know that doesn't help, but maybe someone else on here will remember the name of the manufacturer.
    08-19-09 01:34 AM
    Then, take the battery out and put both in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice. Whataya waiting for? Do it like hours ago!!!

Done. my BB is tucked into a nice bag of rice for the night. I went with white.

I bought the rice and ziplock on the way home but wanted to "f" with it first. I will give it the night then I have to do a warranty if that does not work, cuz I need a phone for the weekend.

thanks xl!
    08-19-09 01:36 AM
    If you do manage to get it going again, or with the insurance replacement, when you seal electronics in a ziploc bag to protect it, you should put some dessicant packs in there as well. This will absorb out any water moisture in the air that is sealed in the bag with the device. Some uncooked rice will also work.

08-19-09 01:38 AM
    If you do manage to get it going again, or with the insurance replacement, when you seal electronics in a ziploc bag to protect it, you should put some dessicant packs in there as well. This will absorb out any water moisture in the air that is sealed in the bag with the device. Some uncooked rice will also work.

thanks xl, i have learned my lesson and will invest in some dessicant packs
    08-19-09 01:41 AM
    thanks xl, i have learned my lesson and will invest in some dessicant packs
    Yes, but don't eat them. That's very bad. They may look like sugar packets, but they are not.
    08-19-09 01:45 AM
    Yes, but don't eat them. That's very bad. They may look like sugar packets, but they are not.
    yeah but what about using them in my coffeee? might be good with a bit of halfnhalf.
    08-19-09 01:48 AM
    Mmmmm, silica granules. Mmmm.

08-19-09 01:49 AM
    Done. my BB is tucked into a nice bag of rice for the night. I went with white.

I bought the rice and ziplock on the way home but wanted to "f" with it first. I will give it the night then I have to do a warranty if that does not work, cuz I need a phone for the weekend.

thanks xl!
    im also having the same issue as you, did the rice trick worked?
    08-28-09 01:20 PM
    nope. i got a replacement phone. I am stoked because I got a 8330 and not another 8330m. It works great!

good luck
    08-28-09 01:55 PM
    nope. i got a replacement phone. I am stoked because I got a 8330 and not another 8330m. It works great!

good luck
    So you have to deal with the PictureMail link for MMS then?
    08-28-09 01:59 PM
    So you have to deal with the PictureMail link for MMS then?
    No, I do not need to deal with the PM link for MMS !!!!!!

I do not use MMS.

I use email mostly and text occasionally. If I ever get an MMS w/ photo I suppose i will have to click a link, bummer.
    08-28-09 02:02 PM

good luck
    So I assume the moisture indicators were ok?

If your BB is less than 12 months old, and the moisture indicators are ok, then you should be able to get a replacement under warranty as well.
    08-28-09 02:02 PM
    So I assume the moisture indicators were ok?

Yes, that was the first thing they looked at. If moisture was the culprit it took very little to damage the BB and not enough to change the indicator. They thought they could fix it but no luck. They ordered a replacement and I had to drive back there the next day (hour away). I wonder if heat was what damaged/fried the mobo?
    08-28-09 02:06 PM
    No, I honestly believe it takes very little moisture to fry a live (powered) BB. You were fortunate, in this case, that the moisture indicators aren't as sensitive.
    08-28-09 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD