I couldn't decide between making a thread in here or the Verizon thread, but whatev! Here it is.

I'm going to Israel in 2010 and I was wondering if the Curve 8330 (with Verizon Wireless) would work with a provider over there? Does Verizon have a plan I could temporarily use that would allow international use?

Thanks!
    12-07-09 11:24 AM
    You can certainly use your Curve in Israel, but with Verizon's Global service you will pay about $2.50 a minute for your calls. I had an 8830 World Edition unlocked using a non-Verizon SIM card. Even so, the phone always picked up the local CDMA network so I wasn't able to bypass and call for much cheaper local rates. You are probably best advised to activate, which costs about $1 a day, and use the Curve only for email, BBM, and browsing. Make sure to let them know the dates for starting and stopping the global service. For calls, it will be much cheaper to buy a GSM phone on eBay for about $25 and then get a local SIM card. By avoiding Verizon's rates, you'll end up net ahead after 15-20 minutes of airtime.
    12-07-09 11:41 AM
    You can certainly use your Curve in Israel, but with Verizon's Global service you will pay about $2.50 a minute for your calls. I had an 8830 World Edition unlocked using a non-Verizon SIM card. Even so, the phone always picked up the local CDMA network so I wasn't able to bypass and call for much cheaper local rates. You are probably best advised to activate, which costs about $1 a day, and use the Curve only for email, BBM, and browsing. Make sure to let them know the dates for starting and stopping the global service. For calls, it will be much cheaper to buy a GSM phone on eBay for about $25 and then get a local SIM card. By avoiding Verizon's rates, you'll end up net ahead after 15-20 minutes of airtime.
    Well I mostly use my Curve for text messaging, so the $2.50/minute charge for calls really isn't an issue for me.

So what your saying is that I should activate my Curve with a local CDMA network? I thought the rest of the world used GMA or whatever it's called. As well, do I contact the carriers in Israel and ask?
    12-07-09 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD