Hello, Everyone I talk to has this same problem. The curve will periodically dump all your call logs,SMS/MMS/Email. Then you have to pop the battery and replace it to reset it. Is this addressed in OS 4.5, also is it addressed in the Bold?
    10-22-08 01:00 PM
    Its low memory, the BB will do an auto clean up, so to speak..

The memory in 4.5 is increased to 5mb.. so its not a HUGE issue on that

Go to options, status..it will show you the free file....

Once you pull the battery, it clears up that issue, and is recommended once or twice a week, and then every few days, clean out your SMS in and out box, purge your deleted emails etc, clean the cache.. also 4.5 has a memory cleaning icon that you can enable to clean it up a little..

Its not defective.. its just low in memory when it does that..

Think of a battery pull.. kind of like when you have to reboot your computer...
    10-22-08 01:04 PM
    Its a memory issue. Do you have a memory card? And what is your file free memory? Options>Status will answer the second question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 01:05 PM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    10-22-08 01:06 PM
    "You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    "

Gotcha.. right.
    10-22-08 01:12 PM
    The number od 12Mb is pretty arbitary I believe. Whilst it seeems to be a safe number, I think that I may be to blame for its widespread use cuz a few months ago I was trying to find the safe minimum memeory. RIM were saying 5.5Mb which was OK for BES users but BIS users and CrackBerryHeadz seemed to need more and I did some experiments. 12Mb came out as 'reasonable'.

You have a lack of memory problem. There are fixes. Go to Options, Status and note the File Free number. Its in bytes so
    divide by 1 million to get Mb. You need about 12Mb for good daily running or the BlackBerry will start deleting stuff just to
    keep itself running. 5.5Mb is an absolute minimum.

This is a standard text that I keep on file .

Note the File Free number for comparison later.
    Remove the battery for 30 secs or so and put it back. Once the re-boot is complete, check the file free number again.
    Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scroll down to the BlackBerry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete.
    You just got 2Mb memory back. Again check the File Free number. It should be getting bigger.

Have a look at this post too http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/. It is a very
    good tutorial on memory management.

Get familiar with your phone and come back here if you need more help.
    10-22-08 01:21 PM
    Wow, Thanks everybody. That is all very usefull info. It all makes sense.
    10-22-08 02:08 PM
    Any idea if RIM will one day allow us to store and run apps, etc. from a memory card??
    10-22-08 03:14 PM
    Hello, Everyone I talk to has this same problem. ...
    Yes they do, an all for exactly the same reason.

Our consumer devices are supplied with pre-installed samples. It insures a delightful out of the box experience.

Unfortunatly, it also means after about 2 weeks or normal use, memory becomes critical and you see the consequences.

That is universal issue and easy to solve. Remove the samples, enjoy the device the way it is intended to work.

Pete6 has made some interesting observations. The current software delivered on most devices reserves 15 Mb for the Media center. You can change that to 12 Mb with no ill effects.

The later version of software have the option to set the reserved memory to 5 Mb, again with no observed effect.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-22-08 at 03:58 PM.
    10-22-08 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD