Hi - I wanted to upgrade from my current 2GB microSD card ( should have just bought the larger version before). I have OS 4.5.0.77.

I was thinking of just getting 8GB - I am just a casual user... but can anyone confirm if my BB can handle the 16GB card ????

I found the information below from another thread...am I correct in interpreting that I can only go up to 8GB with my 4.5.0.77 OS ??

Details
    A microSD media card is a removable flash memory data storage device. When inserted into a BlackBerry smartphone, it can extend the memory available for storing media files such as videos, ring tones, pictures, or songs. The media card is sold separately from the BlackBerry smartphone.

The following table lists BlackBerry Device Software versions and the supported media card size.

BlackBerry Device Software Media Card Size Limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2.196 Up to 8 GB per Verizon Release Notes and confirmed by users.
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

I had a 2nd question regarding transferring my memory card data to the new card. Can I do this from the data-backup of my BB or can I use BB Desktop Manager to transfer the data ? thanks !!!!
    Last edited by Jason123; 01-10-09 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info needed
    01-10-09 02:45 PM
    I'm not sure re: the 16 gig card...I use an 8 w/ no probs. I haven't even seen a 16 in the stores.

I think you could transfer the info w/ out even using DM. You couls just move the info to a folder on your computer and then put the new card in and connect again and then just move the files to the new card. I'm sure others will chime in about how to do it w/ DM. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 05:39 PM
    I'm not sure re: the 16 gig card...I use an 8 w/ no probs. I haven't even seen a 16 in the stores.

I think you could transfer the info w/ out even using DM. You couls just move the info to a folder on your computer and then put the new card in and connect again and then just move the files to the new card. I'm sure others will chime in about how to do it w/ DM. Good luck.

the 16GB's have been out for a while and the 32GB's will be out soon
    01-10-09 06:31 PM
    I thought that the hardware would only recognize 8Gb max....

01-10-09 07:50 PM
    I thought that the hardware would only recognize 8Gb max....

Maybe I will stop by the Verizon store to see how much the Curve will support. Then I will probably get the memory some place else ! Maybe the 8GB card is going to be more than enough memory.
    01-10-09 08:22 PM
    4.5.0.77 is advertised as handling 8gb cards, but I use a 16gb without issues. Above 4.5.0.77 is advertised as max 16gb.

Good deal at MemorySuppliers.com for a Sandisk 16.
    01-10-09 08:55 PM
    With .77, the max will be 8GB. Since .97 is in the wild, you could consider updating to that version if you really want to go to 16GB.

I wouldn't bother trying to move files between the old and new card with DM. Just follow BTsee's post - it's the easiest approach.
    01-10-09 09:06 PM
    With .77, the max will be 8GB. Since .97 is in the wild, you could consider updating to that version if you really want to go to 16GB.

I wouldn't bother trying to move files between the old and new card with DM. Just follow BTsee's post - it's the easiest approach.

thanks, Tom - Yeah I don't know if it's worth it to try and upgrade the OS - I actually just upgraded with Verizon 3 weeks ago to the 4.5.0.77 OS

Is 8 GB enough for the casual user ???? - I think it probably is.
    Last edited by Jason123; 01-10-09 at 09:44 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    01-10-09 09:43 PM
    thanks, Tom - Yeah I don't know if it's worth it to try and upgrade the OS - I actually just upgraded with Verizon 3 weeks ago to the 4.5.0.77 OS

Is 8 GB enough for the casual user ???? - I think it probably is.
    Casual user? I would hope so. I mean, on my computer I have used only 25GB out of 320GB. Granted, Computer & Phones are two different things but space is space. I can't even imagine needing 8GB on a phone, though it definitely would be nice to have.
    01-10-09 09:55 PM
    good point - I just didn't want to buy a card that was too small - but 8GB should be enough. thanks
    01-10-09 10:02 PM
    I also wondered if a 16 GB SDcard would work for my Verizon Curve 8330. It's a huge price difference between the 8 GB and 16 GB cards. So I ordered an 8 GB card that should arrive in the mail any day now. I'm a pretty heavy user. 8 GB should be enough for my needs.

01-10-09 10:13 PM
    You get a 16gb micro sd card on fleebay for around 50 bucks..
    I just picked up an 8gb with card reader for $15..
    01-11-09 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD