Hello, fellow CrackBerryans.

Just got my blackberry yesterday, and I'm trying to figure it all out. I have a question about the flashing red light notification. I want it to flash when I have a SMS text, but NOT when I have a new e-mail. How do I set this up?

Also, I hate the alert my phone makes when I get a text. I want to change the text ringer, but I don't know how to do that.

Finally, whenever I send an e-mail (I have a gmail account set up with my Blackberry) I get the e-mail myself in my inbox. My contact also gets the e-mail. I don't want to get copies of what I send. Plus, I don't want my signature "Sent from my Blackberry" at the bottom of my e-mails.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I can't find the answers to these in my manual or in the Blackberry 101 online tutorial. AND help would be appreciated and I'd love you forever!
    09-11-08 01:47 PM
    Don't think you can turn off the LED for emails unfortunately, so you're out of luck there .. as for your other two questions ..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...ail+sent+items

BlackBerry 101: How to Download and Install Ringtones on your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    09-11-08 01:51 PM
    Actually with the new email, you can shut that off....Just go into your profiles, advanced, edit the profile you're using and select the option that says Messages [your email account] and turn off the LED notification.
    09-11-08 01:53 PM

Just got my blackberry yesterday, and I'm trying to figure it all out. I have a question about the flashing red light notification. I want it to flash when I have a SMS text, but NOT when I have a new e-mail. How do I set this up?

Also, I hate the alert my phone makes when I get a text. I want to change the text ringer, but I don't know how to do that.

Finally, whenever I send an e-mail (I have a gmail account set up with my Blackberry) I get the e-mail myself in my inbox. My contact also gets the e-mail. I don't want to get copies of what I send. Plus, I don't want my signature "Sent from my Blackberry" at the bottom of my e-mails.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I can't find the answers to these in my manual or in the Blackberry 101 online tutorial. AND help would be appreciated and I'd love you forever!
    Well to answer your last statement... a lot of these answers can be done by searching the forums or google. Usually google will bring you to the relevant thread here.

Go to your "profiles" to set the rigntones for each message type and LED indicator.

Go to profiles then advanced. When the profiles comes up hit the blackberry key aka menu key and then edit. There you can set the thing you want.

As far as google. You will have to log onto VZW BIS site and set up a filter on your gmail account that blocks email from "[email protected]" . Here's the link BlackBerry Internet Service

You may have to call to get access. Good luck.
    09-11-08 01:54 PM
    If you want to remove the " sent from my Blackberry" you need to go to your carriers BIS site. Choose the email address you want to work with and select edit . You will then be able to amend the signature that goes out on your emails.
    09-11-08 02:01 PM
    Where do I find the username & pwd for the BIS site? I've tried creating an account on the site, but it tells me that there's already an account associated with my...whatever the phone's unique id number is called. I kind'a figured that, since I have email working on the phone, so I tried the password for my email account, but that doesn't work either. Neither does the password for my verizon account, my bank account, or my garage door opener.

I'm out of ideas. Help!

Thanks!

Shane
    09-20-08 12:04 PM
    Well, most of this is a rehash of what I wrote in the Gmail Thread, but there's another way of filtering your Gmail from doubling up on your BB. Rather than going into your wireless carrier's BIS site for your account (for those of you running into problems getting into/creating an account/misc headaches with the BIS site), instead, go to your laptop/PC and log into the Gmail webpage, then follow the next steps:

While on your Gmail webpage, look at the top of the page and just to the right of the �Search the Web� button, you�ll see two links: �Show search options� and �Create a filter�

Step 1: Click on �Create a filter�

Step 2: On the Create a Filter page and in the �From� field, type in the Gmail address that you�re using on your BB to send email.

Step 3: Leave the other field boxes empty, then click on the �Next Step� button.

Step 4: You�ll see the Action boxes. Check the �Delete it� box, then click on the �Create Filter� button.

Whoa! You're done, and now, no more duplicate Gmail copies to your BB! This is what the new Gmail filter will do:

Those Gmail copies received from your own Gmail address will delete itself into oblivion before it even reaches your BB inbox. This is essentially the same thing that the BIS site for your account will do in filtering your own Gmail, but instead, you're simply making this filter on the Gmail page itself. Does the same thing - I've already tested it and works like a charm.
    09-20-08 12:22 PM
    Try re-sending your service books. I had a similar situation a few months back and that worked for me.
    09-20-08 01:31 PM
    While on your Gmail webpage, look at the top of the page and just to the right of the “Search the Web” button, you’ll see two links: “Show search options” and “Create a filter”

Step 1: Click on “Create a filter”

Step 2: On the Create a Filter page and in the ”From” field, type in the Gmail address that you’re using on your BB to send email.

Step 3: Leave the other field boxes empty, then click on the ”Next Step” button.

Step 4: You’ll see the Action boxes. Check the ”Delete it” box, then click on the ”Create Filter” button.

Whoa! You're done, and now, no more duplicate Gmail copies to your BB! This is what the new Gmail filter will do:

Those Gmail copies received from your own Gmail address will delete itself into oblivion before it even reaches your BB inbox. This is essentially the same thing that the BIS site for your account will do in filtering your own Gmail, but instead, you're simply making this filter on the Gmail page itself. Does the same thing - I've already tested it and works like a charm.
    It seems obvious from the steps above that this filter will delete the sent message in your Gmail mailbox, leaving it in Trash, where it will be permanently deleted after 30 days - leaving you with no record of the sent message, including messages sent from Gmail's web interface. So for my purposes, it doesn't do anywhere near the same thing as a filter setup on the BIS site. And yes, I tested it too, and it works as I described. At least it does for me.
    09-20-08 09:27 PM
    It seems obvious from the steps above that this filter will delete the sent message in your Gmail mailbox, leaving it in Trash, where it will be permanently deleted after 30 days - leaving you with no record of the sent message, including messages sent from Gmail's web interface. So for my purposes, it doesn't do anywhere near the same thing as a filter setup on the BIS site. And yes, I tested it too, and it works as I described. At least it does for me.

Actually, Mike, the Gmail Filter action as I described only affects incoming email sent from your own Gmail address, thus eliminating any duplicate/copy receipts being sent back to your BB. Take a close look at the Gmail Filter page where it says, "Specify the criteria you'd like to use for determining what to do with a message as it arrives."

And if you'd like to save these extra email copies anyway (and not have them go to the Gmail Trash bin), in that same Gmail Filter action, you can choose to have those incoming copies sent to another secure email address as well! Or, choose the "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)" option also!

Holy cow! Easy as pie. That Gmail is really something, isn't it? (yes, I'm one of those Google open-source junkies)

09-20-08 11:59 PM
    And remember, every Gmail message you send out from your BB will still be saved as a "Sent Mail" on your Google Gmail page anyway - thereby maintaining yet another redundant mail record backup!

Yikes! We're gonna run out of room on the Internet!

09-21-08 12:04 AM
    I HATE MINE! I'm going BACK to my Palm CENTRO! Can't wait for the order to arrive - for some reason, it is special order - I can't figure this 8330 out at all! Best of luck to you!

09-16-09 12:40 PM
    Huh. You created a CB account, then promptly brought back a year old thread about email configurations, only to say you don't like your blackberry.
    That's helpful.
    09-16-09 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD