Hello, I have a fairly new curve 8330 on the sprint network. Yesterday, my phone had died from just being away from a charger and the battery dying down. Well, I charged it up later, but couldn't get any of the buttons to respond. I did a battery pull and it boots up like normal, with the normal visuals and what not, but it's completely unresponsive, any button or even the trackball. I receive texts, emails and calls, rings as normal, but no buttons what so ever work, not the mute, the side, the volume, anything. This phone is in great shape, no drops, no water, no nothing that I can possibly think of that would cause this. I've yet to try to hook it up to the computer and restore it. Any advice? Have any of you heard of this?

thanks in advance,
    -casey
    09-25-09 09:47 AM
    I have never heard of this happening, however, I just did an OS upgrade on my 8330 and ever since then I have to press the "e" key several times before it responds. Do you know how many times the letter "e" comes up in a sentance?!? It is really annoying. I would also love to know what causes the unresponsiveness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 10:33 AM
    I've never heard of anything like this happening because of the OS. If it is still under warrantee I would dash on down to the Sprint store and get a new phone. Seems to me they will not have seen this problem much and I would expect they will replace it on the spot.

Good luck.

09-25-09 05:59 PM
    Hello, I have a fairly new curve 8330 on the sprint network. Yesterday, my phone had died from just being away from a charger and the battery dying down. Well, I charged it up later, but couldn't get any of the buttons to respond. I did a battery pull and it boots up like normal, with the normal visuals and what not, but it's completely unresponsive, any button or even the trackball. I receive texts, emails and calls, rings as normal, but no buttons what so ever work, not the mute, the side, the volume, anything. This phone is in great shape, no drops, no water, no nothing that I can possibly think of that would cause this. I've yet to try to hook it up to the computer and restore it. Any advice? Have any of you heard of this?

thanks in advance,
    -casey
    I just started experiencing this exact same problem. No water damage that I am aware of, no drops etc. All buttons are completely unresponsive but the trackball works after a reset/battery pull. But as soon as the display times out, its lights out for good.
    01-23-10 03:57 PM
    Sounds like moisture damage in/on the keyboard.

Has the device been exposed to any moisture at all? Even a little bit?

Steamy bathroom, sweaty pocket, wet hands, wet hair, high humidity environment??
    01-23-10 05:15 PM

thanks in advance,
    -casey
    This happened to me not too long ago and nothing I did solved the problem. I tried upgrading and downgrading and everything I could think of with no succes, buttons just didnt respond.

Only thing you can do is call your carrier and have them send you a new one.
    01-23-10 05:17 PM
    I just started experiencing this exact same problem. No water damage that I am aware of, no drops etc. All buttons are completely unresponsive but the trackball works after a reset/battery pull. But as soon as the display times out, its lights out for good.
    LOL...I just saw the first post was old...but same advice I posted above applys to you. Just call your carrier and get a new one.
    01-23-10 05:20 PM
    I would take apart the housing and put it back, this way you will be able to see if any of the contacts have broken off.
    01-23-10 10:34 PM
    Hmm....we're talking about a "fairly new Curve user" and a new Curve.
    Why would you suggest taking the housing apart? Isn't that a little severe when the user may go to their Sprint store and get a new phone?

Maybe you should let someone with a little more experience with the Curve give out the advice.
    01-24-10 08:59 AM
    I bought a tool kit and took mine apart completely. I think the problem occurs in between the white membrane for the keyboard. I can see how any moisture at all in there would cause problems. Its sticky so you should be careful when/if you pull it off. I used alcohol and q-tips to clean everything out. It has worked perfectly ever since.

02-01-10 12:57 PM
    This just happened to me today.

It worked fine until I took my trackball out for cleaning, swished it around in a small cup of rubbing alcohol, used a Q-tip to clean the inside of the BB where the trackball goes, put it all back together and restarted it. Then the keys seemed to have a mind of its own; when I used the backspace key I'd get two letters. Then the keyboard and trackball went completely dead despite three battery pulls.

After reading this forum, I took the rear cover and battery out of the BB, set it outside in the hot desert sun for about 45 minutes (to dry out the inside, perhaps?), brought it in, let it cool down, and it fired right up again!

John
    03-14-10 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD