Hi everyone, been looking at this site for a while now and finally got my BB just the other day. Found many answers to issues i've had on here so far but finally come a bit stuck!

Maybe somebody else on Orange might be able to help me:

1. Wi-fi : I'm unable to use the browser over wifi, gprs works fine. i'm connected to my home wifi ok. the wifi logo although grey has the network name (read that that is pretty common!?) In the ,manage connections, it is yellow with a dash. Even switching over to wi-fi only i cannont connect 'unable to find the request server' always pops up.

2. I was told by orange that my data plan wont kick in untill my bill date (2 weeks away!) only then will i get all the settings needed in text msg to my phone, as at the moment apps like facebook error saying 'not supported.... upgrade your service plan..'. Does this sound right or have i been fed a line! did other users of orange get 'extra settings' sent them at the start of their plan? allowing them 'full' use of the phone?

3. Lastly, do i understand right that once the wi-fi is working i can only using it for browsing in the BB browser? No applications can be used with wi-fi, i.e maps, etc?

If any one can answer these i would be very greatful!

Regards
    Adam.
    Last edited by adamh; 03-15-08 at 01:42 PM.
    03-15-08 01:27 PM
    Some apps support WiFi. The new Beta version of JiveTalk (MSN, AIM, ICQ, GTalk...) supports it.
    03-15-08 03:06 PM
    Why did you buy a BB on Orange UK anyway? Their data plan is crap!
    03-15-08 03:07 PM
    Why did you buy a BB on Orange UK anyway? Their data plan is crap!
    Yeh, you don't get the most but I reckon it will do for me.. hopfully!

Anybody got any idea's about the wifi settings or data plan comming into effect that i mentioned?

Cheers
    Adam
    03-16-08 07:58 AM
    Sorry that all this isn't constructive but; once you get addicted you'll be canceling your contract and getting unlimited! Although Orange's unlimited texting is quite tempting...

...then again I have �34 cred and unlimited browsing for �27.50 a month.
    03-16-08 08:08 AM
    hmm now im worried about my orange contract lol.. any know what that talk with blackberry package is on orange, unlimited browsing etc aint it?
    06-03-08 08:26 AM
    an what have orange done to the phone? i hear some things about them butchering it lol,, can any explain this to me a bit more pls?
    06-03-08 08:31 AM
    Hey there,
    I've been an +range customer for over 10yrs (both PAYG&paymonthly)and have recently gone back on contract with my new BaBy Curve(I'm yet to name him) I've got doliphin 30 but no data plan or BB bolt on (am just casual home user).
    I got this as I'm disabled and can't always get out of bed to use net and can't use heavy awkward laptops in here either.So my main reason for getting the Curve and contract was to use wifi a lot.So you can imagine my dismay when I had exactly same probs with not being able to get wifi connection(even tho I had my bthomehub on right next to me)

After fannying around for hours I discovered that whatever browser Orange puts as default is a heap of poo. I tried downloading Opera mini but couldn't get on with it, plus it didn't work very well with some pages I use regularly. I couldn't find any help anywhere about any of this so I set about fiddling with the settings (which is the way I normally sort things out generally, and I'm sure the time will come when I completely eff up an appliance, but not today-thank the lord).

Anyway what you want to do is go into your browser settings (sorry not more specific but it was about 4am this morning when I worked out)and change the default browser to 'wifi browser' wherever you can in those settings and make sure you save the changes.
    That sorted it out for me.

I've not had a chance to see if this works in other hotspots but its been a charm at home.

I hope this helps a bit, let us know how you get on,
    Cheers
    Bx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 09:52 AM
    To answer original poster oranges wifi supports UMA which means you can get BIS over UMA & free calls when it works. Its a bit erratic I believe.

The talk with blackberry plan gives you 250mb which is more than enough for most people. I get 200mb with o2 and the most I have ever used in a month is 80mb.

06-03-08 10:16 AM
    ahhhaa,,ok thanks,, i may nip down my orange shop tomorrow see if i can get them to explain it to me a bit more as i think i may be paying for stuff i dont think i will really use or need,,im jus a lil confused about what they actually charge u for using on my bb, like using the bb browser an facebook viigo etc, i do need the data plan i have to be able to use them dont i,
    06-03-08 11:43 AM
    Yes you need the dataplan to use those. You should only be paying for a talk plan and a blackberry plan - what do you mean that you think you're paying for stuff you don't use?
    06-03-08 11:50 AM
    lol well looking over my bill i dont think i am paying for anything i shouldnt be. so not so worried now, i am on dolphin 35 with talk with blackberry, is like �44 a month, lil steep i know but thinking i can get it a bit lower, what does other people on orange pay for the bb contracts id like to know,, wanna look into gettin the best package for what i use if that makes sense. xx
    06-03-08 12:11 PM
    You can get it lower maybe by lowering your talk package. If you are not using all the minutes and texts then ask if you can change to a lower one.

It all depends on how many minutes and texts you need.

The blackberry package should only be about �7.50 if you got it for 18 months & �11.75 over 12 months.

06-03-08 12:23 PM
    yea thats right its 7.50 for talk with bb, am i right in thinking thats like unlimited browsing,,an no matter what i do on the browser etc i wont get a huge bill plonked on my doorstep, i like the unlimited texts but going to see after a couple months how many i actually use average, an 600 mins but i dont think ill use that either,, should pop into orange an see if i can change it ay.. how long have u been with orange on your bb? an what things cant u do on orange that u can with other carriers do u know?
    06-03-08 12:46 PM
    Yes the data plans are now unlimited, but there is a 250MB fair use policy, you'd be hard pressed to reach that.

All you can do is lower your other package, though tbh if you're on a contract you won't be able to to, and there's a chance they have a minimum applicable for you to use the BB plan.

�44 seems to be the going rate for a low priced Orange set up - it was the lowest I was able to get anyway!

Other carriers don't offer anything different just for BB, just the usual talk plans etc.
    06-03-08 01:21 PM
    ahh now u mention yeah i think ur right,, well this has helped me many thanks,
    06-03-08 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD