I have a Curve 8310 on Rogers with no BB data plan. I have a mobile data plan, non BB, and when I put the APN I can do OTA installs. Is this normal, I couldnt do OTA on my old 8100.

Also, even without the APN in, I can browse the net on the supplied browser (didnt have to dl Opera, which I did on the Pearl) Gmail and GMaps dont work without APN, but browsing does.

With APN in, I can do everything other than use my GPS and push email (oh and BB messaging.) Is this how its supposed to be?

One last question...does the speed of my micro SD card make any difference, or is it limited by the speed of the interface on my BB anyway?

Thanks
    Last edited by maccabee; 01-12-08 at 12:51 PM.
    01-12-08 12:47 PM
    Oh boy, you better watch you bill very closely. The speed of your SD card only affects the speed of data being read/written to/from the card, nothing else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 01:00 PM
    Re: my bill, I've done this with my Pearl for months and never had a crazy bill. GPS will never work without the actual BB plan correct?

Re: the card, I know that card speed will only affect data going to/from the card, but my question is, is there any value in spending more money for a faster micro SD card that will only be used on my BB?
    01-12-08 01:04 PM
    You'll be charged for this data, according to your plan as JSanders said. Your GPS should still work if you can get a mapping app that works with TCP.
    01-12-08 01:07 PM
    I have a 10mb 10$ mobile internet plan.

Doesnt Google Maps works with TCP, but it still uses the Cell Tower triangulation technology rather than my GPS. Any suggestions?
    01-12-08 01:11 PM
    Your GPS is stand alone from the network. Google Maps will use your GPS when initialized. Go into the BB's Options >GPS and make sure the GPS has initialized. Make sure you're outside with a clear view of the sky.
    01-12-08 01:22 PM
    It worked. You're a superstar....now I love my BB even more (didnt think that was possible.)

If you could make sound from video work via Bluetooth, you would truly be my hero.
    01-12-08 01:39 PM
    How are you not getting insane bills? Do you stay under the 10mb?

I had a 5mb mobile plan (until I got my email and im and they disabled it) and after a week I had a 900$ phone bill :|
    01-29-08 03:12 PM
    I may have read this wrong, but are you saying that you cn use the GPS with google maps without a data plan?
    01-30-08 04:20 PM
    I'm interested in Nutmeg's question too because I'm considering getting a BB without the DP...
    01-31-08 08:36 PM
    Google Maps appears to lock up on Curves, but tha's a separate issue. Right now I have BlackBerry Maps, InfoSpace Find it, and Google Maps installed on my phone and none of them work with the $15 Rogers Personal Email Plan.
    02-01-08 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD