I searched my phone help and the forums...can not find it anywhere...maybe I dreamed it...

Is there a way to set how often my BB checks for new mail? I swear I set it for every minute or 5 minutes when I first set my phone up. (This is my first BB )

I was wondering if my phone checking for new mail so often will drive up my data plan usage?

Thanks for any help!

Newbie Suzy
    01-04-08 01:14 PM
    I don't know about checking for mail at a set time like Outlook on the computer, but when someone sends me an email, I get it immediately.
    01-04-08 01:26 PM
    first off ... if you have ATT and a BB then you should have unlimited internet as this is the only data plan that they offer with a BB ... so there shouldnt be any kind of worry about data usage

secondly ... the BB uses push technology (in most situations) ... meaning as soon as your email servers get the email its pushed down to your phone ... so your phone doesnt have to constantly check for new emails its just delivered the second its received!
    01-04-08 02:00 PM
    Thanks EDO & Wolfscmb!

I had an iPhone for exactly 7 days (before I returned it ) and thought I might have been confusing the "check email every minute or so" set up with that device.

And GREAT on the unlimited data package with AT&T! I just woke up today...hearing that slight interference on my alarm clock whenever my BB has any activity and I started wondering about how often it checks for email.

Thanks again for your help!

Suzy
    01-04-08 02:17 PM
    Suzy, to answer your question directly: no, there is not a way to check how often it checks for mail. As wolfscmb stated, it is Push technology and the intervals are not set. It just... happens!

BIS works like this... Every 15 mins the RIM servers check your mail servers for new mail. If present, RIM pushes the new messages to your BB, and if messages were present, it check again in 2 minutes and push anything new. If nothing is new, it will default back to the 15 minute cycle.

Roughly speaking.
    01-04-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD