Hey. For the past few weeks I've had an issue with my BBMessenger. Whenever I try to start it up I get an error message saying uncaught exception: wrong presence status. I posted a thread on here about it, and one of you geniuses told me that it meant the program was corrupted and that I needed to uninstall then reinstall BBM. I have yet to do that simply because that sounds like a whole bunch of work. Aaannnddd cause I'm afraid to do something crazy and completely f_ck up my berry. But I miss my messenger!

I've also had to deal with smaller issues with my berry, like that hourglass spinning around forever and ever. I figured it was a memory issue, cause my texts and things were being deleted too so I emptied out some simple things that I didn't need (cache, cookies, emails). Made it a little better, but not much. And a lot of times when I'm getting a call, that crazy hourglass comes up again and just keeps going on and on and I'm not even able to answer the incoming call. It just stays that way, no ringtone, no movement, nothing.

Now I have a few questions:
    1) If I were to un/reinstall BBM, should I just un/reinstall the entire OS to possibly clean out the the device? Maybe that'll fix the other little issues I''ve been having?
    2) Is the weird hourglass when I'm receiving calls also cause of lack of memory?
    3) What apps are considered "safe" for me to just dump out?

I'm currently running 4.2.2 on a TMobile Curve 8320, if that helps.

Thanks to whoever's gonna attempt to help me this time .
    07-08-08 01:03 PM
    well before pokie comes in here and says 'search'

ima tell you that un installing and re installing the bbm is pretty easy. done pretty quick thru the desktop manager.

not to sure about the weird hour glass, how much memory u got? options>status>free mem

download a program called maxmem.
    when i did it on my pearl and removed the things it was able to, i freed up like about 8mb, and i thought my BB was clean enough.

a clean O/S install cant hurt anything, but just becareful not to brick ur berry.
    07-08-08 01:07 PM
    Now I have a few questions:
    1) If I were to un/reinstall BBM, should I just un/reinstall the entire OS to possibly clean out the the device? Maybe that'll fix the other little issues I''ve been having?

You can try this, but make absolutely sure you know what you are doing, lest you brick your phone. I would start out small and just try reinstalling BBM if that is what you wish to do, then go from there.

2) Is the weird hourglass when I'm receiving calls also cause of lack of memory?

Most likely. Go to Options>Status and see what your available memoury is at, and let us know. You may also have apps running in the background. Press ALT+Escape to see what apps you have running, and properly close them out via Menu>Close

3) What apps are considered "safe" for me to just dump out?

This all depends on what you want/need to run on your BB. I dumped password keeper, got rid of all preinstalled media (except my themes) and dumped the internal RIM programs. You can also live without Brickbreaker if you don't play it. Many also dump VAD. This is all preference, but don't go deleting things if you aren't sure what they are.

I'm currently running 4.2.2 on a TMobile Curve 8320, if that helps.

Thanks to whoever's gonna attempt to help me this time .[/FONT]
    Hope this helps!!
    07-08-08 01:21 PM
    uncaught exception: wrong presence status. ...
    That does sound familiar. I am glad you are asking for second opinions, because it is a major step.

You are showing all of the symptoms of low memory. The spinning hour glass is your Curve desperately trying to find some memory.

I would suggest the simple steps in this thread to free up enough to regain control of your device. Once you have it working correctly, we can discuss the reinstall further.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    07-08-08 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD