Hey all. Awesome site and forum here. Very helpful in so many ways!

I have a brand new Curve 8330m on Sprint. I just got it on Tuesday afternoon. I'm having problems that I'm hoping to resolve myself rather than waiting for a replacement.

When I first got it, it was constantly rebooting out of nowhere. Every few minutes it would reboot. Sometimes it would be steady on for an hour or two and then rebooting begins again. This happened with or without the media card inserted. It also happened before any other apps were installed. I tried all the tricks like removing the battery, etc etc.

I used the JL wipe tool to wipe the phone and reinstall 4.5.0.131. It seemed fine for the rest of the evening and overnight.

This morning it started acting silly again but different. Now it seems to only crash when it is doing something, rather than at random out of nowhere. Sometimes the app will just lock up and then it reboots after a minute or two.

What might be causing this issue?
    04-23-09 03:07 PM
    Couple things... you say you have an 8330m MEID Curve, but you installed 4.5.0.131? That OS is for an 8330 ESN model.

Also, the crashing part sounds like it is a battery related problem. The fact that it does it when it is "doing something" is because the BB is using the radio transmitter/receiver which is placing demands on the battery for current (power).

If you plug the BB into a charger, I would bet that you would stop having problems using the phone. Unless you're problems are OS related, as you may have installed the wrong OS for your device.
    04-23-09 03:18 PM
    Hmm. Well according the BB site, it is the right one. But it also lists the same thing for the non-m version. Not sure if it is a typo on the website or some other issue.

I'm downloading 4.5.0.138 for the M version now as well as DM 4.6 (I have 4.5 now). Time for round two of wipe and re-install I guess.
    04-23-09 07:37 PM
    once you do that, if you are still having issues with it crashing when its doing something, you will still need to get a new battery.
    04-23-09 07:43 PM
    Oh I tried that too. It crashes plugged in or running on battery.
    04-23-09 07:47 PM
    then youre on the right track with the OS
    04-23-09 07:48 PM
    Can someone confirm for me that it doesn't matter what carrier's OS is installed? For example, that .138 OS is for "US Cellular" on the 8330m. That will work fine on a sprint phone?
    04-23-09 07:50 PM
    yes, it will work fine, you just have to follow the directions to delete the vendor.xml file prior to download.
    04-23-09 07:54 PM
    Cool. I did see that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thank you for the help. I'll advise in a little while how this operation goes.
    04-23-09 07:55 PM
    good deal
    04-23-09 07:56 PM
    Well so far so good. I've put x.138 on it using DM 4.6 and it seems very stable and smooth. Also, when it came time to restore the backup, I only restored the contacts, calendar, and tasks. I specifically did NOT restore everything just incase there is anything that will make it mad again.

So now it is on to re-installing apps! Yee Haw!
    04-23-09 10:30 PM
    Glad to hear everything looks good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD