Here is an image of what Sprint says my coverage is in my area...however, I roam all the time and if I do have Sprint, it's one bar, any idea why they think I have full service and really don't have any at all?

Thanks
    08-15-08 03:12 PM
    You got me there, Brian. All I can say is their maps are an estimate. But from the looks of it, you got coverage! Is your data slow? Bad reception?
    08-15-08 03:16 PM
    Call them, i used to have nextel, and whenever I called saying I didnt have service where i should, they would open a ticket, enough tickets and they'll do something...
    08-15-08 03:23 PM
    Yeah, I am calling them here in a few, I called them on my roommates phone to leave my line open and they said to do an over the air update of my Primary Roaming List I would have to call on my phone

So we will see if that helps, but if it doesn't I'm going to ask them to check and see why I'm supposed to be in "Best" service and I have practically none

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 03:33 PM
    oh and to answer your question, sorry, data is slow as ever with 1 bar to 0 bars and calling is really out of the question

08-15-08 03:34 PM
    so i think they just tried to lie a little haha, however, i called and told them about it and they said there were outages in my area, but the places they told me about were over 40 miles away, so I have a little trouble believing that best service comes from those towers

anyways, she told me to dial *2 while on the sprint network and it will tell you if it has to update, i had PRL ver. 60612 now i have PRL ver. 60613, so we shall see if this helps me with roaming but as far as sprint service goes, i think we'll have to wait to see if these "outages" get fixed and if my service improves

I'm home for a week from Penn State where I have great service, so if I have junky service, only have to put up with it for a week then back to school haha :-)

thanks a lot guys
    08-15-08 03:53 PM
    While these maps show good coverage for you, I do know that in good coverage areas there are usually small areas that are dead or low coverage. This can be do tower distance, landscaping, topograpghy, etc. Is this every where for you? or just in this area?
    08-15-08 05:03 PM
    this is my location, weird thing is, it's higher in elevation than surrounding areas, it just doesnt make sense
    08-15-08 05:23 PM
    higher does not mean better. You can be right under a tower and get lousy signal. Signal comes off tower is an arc, so if are are a certain distance from a tower and at the end of the arc signal may not be as strong.

You may want to call your carrier and see if there are any known issues or have them send out a system performace person measure the signal in you area.

Remeber also being inisde of a building will reduce signal strength and most if not all carriers will not garrentee signals in a building.
    08-15-08 05:34 PM
    with the PRL update there is only a couple other factors I am aware of the can cause bad signals. A malfunctioning tower(s) that you would be getting the signal with and buildings/structures and topography. Distance away from nearest towers could be a small factor. Most common is buildings/structures. Are there any large ones nearby like a few miles away or closer. Its possible that one is in the path between the tower and you.

We had a signal problem and somewhat still do at our summer home and sprint tells me there are 3 or 4 towers in range of our address there. Yet before the PRL update and one other thing they did to my parents phone we only got at best 1 bar but most of the time it was 0 bars or no signal. Basically not even usable on roaming. After they did stuff on the phone they get 2 bars at best but typically stays at 1 bar with very little no signal at all. But there appears to be some interference of some sort because sometimes the signal breaks up and you here only every 3rd syllable.

08-15-08 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD