Ok so, I was originally waiting for the AT&T official 4.5 upgrade but I'm beginning to get fed up with with their incompetence. I've been reading all the posts about upgrading and how to do it and I've read a lot of the posts from those who have bricked their BB. I'm still a little nervous about upgrading it, but I feel that I have the knowledge to do it and I'm probably going to do it soon.

The other day while checking for official 4.5 upgrades on my AT&T 8310 and was obviously unsuccessful. However when I plugged in my mom's Rogers 8310, it said an update was available?! So I went ahead and upgraded her curve to the official Rogers 4.5, and it went well for her, and i checked her phone and said it was upgraded to 4.5.0.81. Now when i download my 4.5 I would like to download the official version from another carrier, maybe rogers since it worked for my mom. So i went to Software Download for Rogers Wireless Inc. and when I look for the latest OS for the 8310, it comes up as 4.2.xxx. Whats up with that? Anyone found a good official OS from another carrier? Preferably 4.5.0.81 since it seems to be the newest. I found that Orange UK has one. Any comments?

Last question is that I'm a mac user , and to do all of my BB app loads and such I just use my mom's PC. She also uses the PC for her BB though. Question is, if i go through with the OS upgrade and delete the vendor.xml file from my PC, will it delete it from her BB as well, thereby voiding her warranty? Seeing that it's her PC and all, I don't want to delete something from it then when she plugs her BB in, it erases her vendor.xml and voids her warranty. My curve is unlocked from AT&T and the warranty is up so i'm not worried about it for me, I just don't want to screw my mother over.

Thanks
    09-26-08 10:41 AM
    So I went ahead and upgraded her curve to the official Rogers 4.5 ...
    Interesting, as far as I know, Rogers has not released v4.5xx for the Curve, yet. It does ship with the Pearl 8120, but not the Curves.

You can confirm which version your Mother has installed with Options / About. I would be very surprised if it is other then v4.2xx.

The way I understand the update process, Applications Loader will find the latest version OS that matches a device model, subject to the presence of the Vendor.xml file.

If you install a later version OS and delete Vendor.xml, it will find and use that for any matching device.

If you are both using the same device, it will suggest uploading on either device.
    09-26-08 11:05 AM
    The vendor.xml file is just an identifier, so just set up a new profile in Desktop Manager for your phone, and install the 4.5.0.81 that way. If you want to be really safe, just create another user account on your mom's PC for your BlackBerry -- that way you know nothing will be overwritten (although what the DM software does is analyze what is on your BlackBerry currently -- if it sees an update, it will update the phone -- but the vendor.xml file, if it exists, prevents DM from letting you use the update to begin with).

I'm a Mac user too -- so I understand the dilemma. Just create another user account in XP or Vista and then download the Vodaphone-Orange 4.5.0.81 stuff in that user account. Install it, delete the vendor.xml file, plug in your Berry and follow the upgrade instructions on the screen.
    09-26-08 11:06 AM
    Interesting, as far as I know, Rogers has not released v4.5xx for the Curve, yet. It does ship with the Pearl 8120, but not the Curves.

You can confirm which version your Mother has installed with Options / About. I would be very surprised if it is other then v4.2xx.

I can 100% confirm it. I was as shocked as you were. I just plugged in her 8310 and there it was 4.5 in all its glory. So i followed the instructions and installed and it worked great. Then i fired up her BB to find video recorder, docs to go, etc. So then i did what you said to because i was as shocked as you are, 4.5 on rogers?! Options>about> and there it was "4.5.0.81"!!
    09-26-08 12:01 PM
    Just create another user account in XP or Vista and then download the Vodaphone-Orange 4.5.0.81 stuff in that user account. Install it, delete the vendor.xml file, plug in your Berry and follow the upgrade instructions on the screen.
    Another user? That shouldnt change anything though. The vendor file is located on the C drive, theres only one C drive on a computer. Meaning theres only one vendor file on each computer. Right? So theoretically if I delete the vendor it will delete it off the computer not off of one user.

Correct me if im worng? but i thought that was how it worked?
    09-26-08 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD