I have a minor bug / issue.

I have my Left Convenience Key set to be a shortcut for the Compose menu. This is practical for me so I can have quick access to composing a text message. This is not the issue at hand, so please do not question why I have it set up this way or give me recommendations for different ways to do this.

My Problem is Detailed Below

When I hit the convenience key it will bring up the menu to select the contact to message. I will pick a contact and it can do 2 things:

1) It will prompt me which number to message to and continue on to compose the message correctly! (GOOD THING!

2) It will call the contact (if only 1 number is stored for that contact) or it will bring up the menu asking which number to call for the contact. (BAD THING!!

Is there any solution you know to this issue?? Does anyone else use this setup and experience this problem.

(Note : This is not an operating system issue. This occured in OS 4.2.2, 4.5.42, 4.5.44... )
    06-23-08 03:15 PM
    Not that I know of. The Blackberry knows if you have more than one number so it gives you a choice.
    06-23-08 03:22 PM
    I had the same problem with that. I think the app goes straight to an email. I went to compose a txt to someone and ended up calling someone else at 4am. lol. I hope there is a solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 03:22 PM
    The compose is for email not texting. If you have an email set for your contacts it will email if not it will call.
    I text a lot and have my left convience key set as messages. That way hit meny key and couple lines there is compose sms.

And frederico you know that was a 4am booty call. Lol.

06-23-08 03:31 PM
    I am not talking about the compose shortcut from the messages screen. I know hitting 'C' composes an email.

For some reason, setting compose to the Left Convenience will allow you to compose an SMS. This will bring up the contact selection and move on to compose an SMS (if working properly).

I detailed this in my initial post!
    06-23-08 03:33 PM
    Not that I know of. The Blackberry knows if you have more than one number so it gives you a choice.
    The issue I am having is not with selecting from multiple numbers. That is perfectly normal and logical. My issue is when I select a contact it could randomly call instead of proceed on to the next stage to compose the SMS...

I am not having the issue with selecting the contact... rather, sometimes it will go through the composition of the SMS correctly and sometimes it will try to place a call for the contact selected instead.
    06-23-08 03:36 PM
    I knew you didn't mean pressing the 'c' shortcut, I was meaning using that left button convience as compose. When I tried that only option was email if that person had and email or call if no email. Maybe yours has a glitch that allows sms sometimes lol. Lucky gosh.

06-23-08 04:05 PM
    hmmm... I heard someone else on the forum talking about how they had theirs set up for SMS... that is how I got the idea.
    06-23-08 04:31 PM
    mine comes up as sms too, and it does the same thing, sometimes will sms, but then occasionally will call, pretty annoying since sometimes i'll hit it key while not actually looking at the phone, and look down 10 seconds later expecting to type a message and see that i've actually called someone and now they're on the phone... if i wanted to actually talk to peple i wouldnt have got a phone with a full qwerty keyboard lol

***edit*** looks like it does whatever you last did with that contact last did, if they called you and you hit compose its gonna respond with a call, if they txt'd you and you hit compose it responds with a txt, etc... thats from the past 5 minutes of playing with it after not being able to find the answer
    Last edited by blayz; 07-13-08 at 10:16 PM.
    07-13-08 10:10 PM
    I have noticed if I hold the left convenience key down longer than a split second it by default brings up the address book to select someone to call same thing on my friends 8310 test it out press it quickly and see what it does then hold it down, this may be your issue.
    07-13-08 10:40 PM
    when I hold the left convenience key it brings up my call log if I press it once it brings up PTT
    07-14-08 12:08 AM
    ***edit*** looks like it does whatever you last did with that contact last did, if they called you and you hit compose its gonna respond with a call, if they txt'd you and you hit compose it responds with a txt, etc... thats from the past 5 minutes of playing with it after not being able to find the answer
    Yeah that's what I noticed. Hit the conv key, get the to: with a list of my address book. If I click the trackball it will do whatever I last did (like call).

I did notice if I hit the convenience key, scroll/find my contact and press the menu key instead of trackball, I can choose send sms, mms, email etc and it works like I want, not doing the last known option...does that work for you?

07-14-08 01:41 AM
    This thread was a little old when bumped back up. What would probably solve the OP's problem now is QSMS. Instead of mapping L. conv key to compose. Map it to QSMS. The menu it opens is specifically for txt messaging, so it won't ask what number you want to call. If you have dialing from home screen off you can also use the Q key. The reason for calling it QSMS

Can D/L it OTA here: Link Broken Try Google
    Last edited by SilverSurfR; 08-27-08 at 01:28 PM. Reason: broken link
    07-14-08 03:21 AM
    mine comes up as sms too, and it does the same thing, sometimes will sms, but then occasionally will call, pretty annoying since sometimes i'll hit it key while not actually looking at the phone, and look down 10 seconds later expecting to type a message and see that i've actually called someone and now they're on the phone... if i wanted to actually talk to peple i wouldnt have got a phone with a full qwerty keyboard lol

I am also havingthe same problem with my 8100 pearl. Can some body tell how to resolve it. I hit the compose then try to add a contact, it immediately calls that person. Please help.
    08-16-08 11:30 AM
    This is how I have qSMS set up on my 8330. I hope this helps.

Disable Dial From Home Screen
    - Highlight the phone icon and click the trackball (or trackwheel)
    - Click the trackball again and choose "options" from the (full) menu that pops up
    - Choose general options
    - Change "dial from home screen" to no (it should be yes by default)
    - Save your changes and return to the BlackBerry homescreen

Now that you've done this, you should be able to type a single letter and access an application that corresponds with it from the list below: If you tap the button the shortcut works, if you hold the button the phone dials the speed dial that corresponds to the letter.

The link below will take you to download a free app that enables the "Q" key to be the shortcut for an SMS message. Its called QSMS.

h**p://mobile.blackberrytrade.com

Now when you tap the Q key compose SMS comes up automatically.

The next problem you will run into is that if there is more than one number in the address book (i.e. work, home, fax) you will have to choose which number to dial. The address book will remember which number you dialed last so if you sent someone a text an hour ago, then my cell will be highlighted and all you will have to do is click the trackball. So with this setup you can send a text by the following character string:

Q>Chr (for Chris)> Trackball (to select the recipient) > Trackball (to select their cell number)

Personally I find that a bit slow so I've devised a workaround. Since I only text a few people regularly, it's actually easier to set up another contact for each of them in my address book. To ensure I don't have to scroll through a long list of people with the same name (i.e. Greg Johnson, Gregg Williams, HH Gregg) I can give a contact a new name that has two distinct first letters. Since our alphabet only allows the use of the letter Q when it is followed by a U (not too many Q names in my address book) AND your thumb is already on the Q button I can add a contact with a name like QBrother. Now to start a text message all I have to type is the following character string:

Q>QB>trackball

Then you compose your message and double-click the trackball to send. The key is to set a different contact for each person you regularly text so that the first two letters are different (i.e. QBrother, QWife, QBoss, etc.)
    08-19-08 06:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD