Soon the infamous decision of being bent over by AT&T for another 2 years will be here and I was wanting some input as to what would be the advantages by staying.
    8900 maybe? If we get it?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 08:03 PM
    This is something you personally need to decide.

The use of the term "bent over" indicates you are not satisfied with att currently, so why stay? Check out other providers' coverage, plans, available devices, etc. Then, make your decision.

12-09-08 08:05 PM
    Good point! Re. The 'bent over' part.
    It seems like in other countries they have a really good system going.
    Not this monopoly Bull$hit we have here in the US.
    (That's my reasoning for the comment)

12-09-08 08:09 PM
    Hmmm...

Well, what are you specifically looking for? Amazing coverage? Great prices? New devices?

12-09-08 08:10 PM
    Google search "cell phone plans" as there is tons of info on the different carriers.
    I am satisfied with the coverage that ATT provides but, now that I have a BB, 150 some bucks a month is a tough pill to swallow to get unlimited voice, data and text. Sprint does it for 99.99...

Try this too
    Unlimited Cell Phone Plans
    12-09-08 08:12 PM
    You know I thinks its the whole contract thing that gets to me the most.

Don't want to pay more to go month to month as some carriers offer.

12-09-08 08:14 PM
    Ok. Here is a breakdown according to, well, me:

Vzw: amazing coverage and customer support. Very reliable, decent availability of new devices. The most expensive of the carriers, but you get what you pay for.

Att: you know all about this.

Tmobile: sub-par coverage at best, not the greatest cs, and definitely far behind in the new device department. They do, however, have very low prices.

Sprint: decent coverage depending on location; some locations are great, others are terrible. There seems to be no gray area here. Sprint cs is pretty terrible, and they have no good devices, let's be honest. They do have the $99 SEP, and their other plans are relatively competetively priced.

Ok. I hope this helps.

12-09-08 08:19 PM
    If you feel "bent over", I'm preetysure no one is forcing you to parcipitate.

12-09-08 08:24 PM
    HaHa!! Great. The comment that will follow me forever.

12-09-08 08:31 PM
    I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage you to consider the Sprint option. I've had an excellent experience with Sprint. They have great coverage and great prices too!

But the ultimate decision is up to you. As long as you stay with a BB it's always a win/win!
    12-09-08 11:37 PM
    I do have to say that where I live, AT&T has the best coverage hands down.
    Also never had to call CS that much so no problems there either.
    Guess I'm just bored ...
    Another reason why I hope we, AT&T, get the 8900.

12-10-08 07:33 AM
    Hey Gonzy88, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. I don�t know anything about your phone needs or usage, but seeing that you are a BB user I can assume you use it for more than just phone calls. I am not sure the type of plan you had at AT&T but Sprint offers the lowest price for an unlimited plan. The plan is called the Simply Everything plan and really means just that, everything you can do on your phone is absolutely unlimited, texting, data, GPS, Live TV, whatever. All for $99. I suggest checking out all the providers websites to check out price plans, phones, and what their service is like in your area. Sprint would love to have you if you decide to make the switch! Hope I was helpful.
    12-11-08 11:11 AM
    Sprint is by far the most HORRIBLE mobile company i have ever had to deal with... With the customer service i had with them im not sure how they are still in business. I came from nextel because that network is being fazed out and when the service wanst much better w/ sprint they told me to wait the network was being updated around my location... Sure enough i waited past my 30days and then all i got was "sorry we dont guarantee coverage" So after filing complaints with the fcc i got out of my contract 1.5 years into it...
    12-11-08 11:21 AM
    I've only been with Sprint since July and have to admit my 1st month with them was a nightmare. Customer service was frustrating at best but the pricing was great and the service solid. I decided once I got my issues worked out (don't ever purchase a device over the phone) that I probably wouldn't have to deal with CS anymore so I decided to stay after my 30 day money back guarantee period.

I was totally wrong about not needing to call CS since then and most of my calls have been from choice not problems with the services. With that being said I can honestly say that my CS experiences have improved by at least 300% in the last few months and I now have no issues what so ever with Sprint. I'm now very happy and they have been great about giving me exactly what I want.

Also if you use minimal minutes the 400 Everything message and data plan cannot be beat for 69.99 mo. 7pm N & W is also a standard perk when "most" others start at 9.

If your in a good Sprint coverage area I suggest giving them a try since they do offer a 30 money back guarantee.
    12-11-08 11:53 AM
    Sprint is by far the most HORRIBLE mobile company i have ever had to deal with... With the customer service i had with them im not sure how they are still in business. I came from nextel because that network is being fazed out and when the service wanst much better w/ sprint they told me to wait the network was being updated around my location... Sure enough i waited past my 30days and then all i got was "sorry we dont guarantee coverage" So after filing complaints with the fcc i got out of my contract 1.5 years into it...
    I have read that Sprint has now decided to keep the iden network and not phase it out.
    12-11-08 11:54 AM
    Soon the infamous decision of being bent over by AT&T for another 2 years will be here and I was wanting some input as to what would be the advantages by staying.
    8900 maybe? If we get it?

Thanks in advance!

You should understand that the "Contract" is just a contract to stay with the carrier for the period and if you don't stay then you owe them the Early Termination Fee - - that's all it means. If you continue to use your active plan with a carrier such as AT&T beyond the contract date nothing changes with your plan - - you continue on with no ETF hanging over you - - this does not change your current plan at all. The only reason you would ever need to enter into another contract is if you purchased a phone with a carrier subsidy - that would involve another contract, but on the other hand if you do not change your plan or purchase another phone you are basically proceeding "as is" - the only difference is that if you decide to leave now you won't be charged for the ETF. So you don't really have to be "bent over" to continue as you are with your current plan. So the real question is do you want to be "bent over" for the privilege of purchasing that new shiny 8900 at a discount or not. Don't confuse the contract with you service plan.
    12-11-08 02:06 PM
    So there are no additional charges for going month to month?
    That would be great!
    But like you said to get the 8900 at the discounted price I would, therefore, need to redo a contract ...

Dont get me wrong I do like AT&T, have had no reason not to.
    Its the whole contract thing, with any carrier, that i cant get my head around.

Thanks for the info.
    12-11-08 02:18 PM
    So there are no additional charges for going month to month?
    That would be great!
    But like you said to get the 8900 at the discounted price I would, therefore, need to redo a contract ...

Dont get me wrong I do like AT&T, have had no reason not to.
    Its the whole contract thing, with any carrier, that i cant get my head around.

Thanks for the info.
    Acctually from the carrier's standpoint it makes a lot of sense - - If I am AT&T I don't want to subsidize your phone and then have you go turn around and ditch AT&T and keep the phone I just sold you at a deep discount and have you take it to another carrier like T-Mobile. The contract just allows them to keep you long enough to justify the upfront expense of adding you as a customer. But in your case after your contract date is past you can just keep right on going if you don't change anything like phone or plan just as you were and you are "out of contract" but nothing really changes - - you still have your phone plan just as before and you just keep right on going.

And of course in order to upgrade to a new phone and get it at a carrier discount you'll have to enter into a new contract for the same reason stated above - - some carriers also have "Promotional Rate Plans" that if you change to a promo rate plan you might have to enter into a new contract in that instance as well. But in general once you are out of contract it really means nothing more than if you decide to ever leave after that point you would no longer be responsible for the Early Termination Fee.
    12-12-08 01:16 PM
    i personally have had horrible experiences and hated sprint, but when it comes down to it, i never lose signal, have a great plan, and just try not to call cs, and if i do, i just call and immed. ask for retentions. they have the best prices, and customer service is getting better, but phone selection does suck though.
    12-12-08 03:52 PM
    i personally have had horrible experiences and hated sprint, but when it comes down to it, i never lose signal, have a great plan, and just try not to call cs, and if i do, i just call and immed. ask for retentions. they have the best prices, and customer service is getting better, but phone selection does suck though.
    I agree that phone selection is lacking. My experience with CS has been no worse than my dealings with AT&T. Sprint coverage is great for me, and for 60 dollars a month I have 450 minutes that I never use and unlimited data. Don't allow the CS bias to sway you. There are equally horrible CS reps at every carrier.

12-12-08 04:23 PM
    Sprint Has unlimited plan which other carriers doesn't have. Verizon has pretty good coverage but very expensive. One way to look for better plans is by estimating your usage, which requires you to tell them how much you currently spend a month, how many minutes you use a month, how many lines you need, how many texts you send/receive a month, and your home and work zip code. You may find many best cell phone plans online but it's often wise to compare cell phone plan before choosing any plan.
    02-06-09 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD