well, after about 3 months of constant freezes, running super slow, and numerous glitches, i decided to give a complete wipe a try. basically id like to reformat the device.

figure ill have to reload all my applications, change settings and import my data.

can someone direct me how to get this started? do i have to install the original os, or can i start with the newest one?
    03-03-10 12:19 PM
    There are two levels of wipes.

You can do the Wipe Handheld on your device, and that will essentially return your BB to an "out of the box" state, while retaining the operating system. To do this wipe do the following: Options, Security, General Settings, Menu, Wipe Handheld.

Or, you can do a complete wipe, OS and all, with a utility like jl_cmder. You will have to reload a compatible OS after this wipe.

Be aware that after any wipe, restoring your data, settings, and applications could make the problems you were experiencing come back. Any Restore operations done should be using the Advanced Restore function where you are only restoring the minimum number of databases like Messages, Address Book, BBM, etc.
    03-03-10 01:05 PM
    thanks for the info. is there an advantage of doing the complete wipe? i already started the out of box wipe. and now im finding that i have to upgrade to the new OS anyways.

im planning on doing the wipe, changing my settings, upgrading the OS, getting all my calander, memopad, and contact info on here.

then ill add my completely necessary apps. facebook, google maps, chronograph. and see how it acts. then ill slowly add my games. see if any of those were to blame.

then ill change my theme.

thanks again for the info.
    03-03-10 01:34 PM
    Advantage of doing the complete wipe is you start from a "clean slate". That slate can get messy though when you start loading themes, and apps like facebook, and app world.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your memory card. That can get corrupted easily, especially the file system (FAT, or file allocation table). Symptoms of a messed up memory card can include everything you were experiencing, "constant freezes, running super slow, and numerous glitches", as well as rebooting and shutdowns. You may only have needed to move your files off your memory card, reformatted the card, and move your files back to the card to solve your problems.
    03-03-10 01:50 PM
    I would do a complete phone wip and use the OS from the carrier, then start to customize. I had to make sure each app had close on exit, and it did not appear in the switch app list.
    Good point, if the OP wasn't properly closing apps (Menu Close/Exit), then file free memory issues could have been the cause of the OP's problems.
    03-03-10 02:37 PM
    There's a guide on here to wipe your BB if you're not too sure.
    03-03-10 02:37 PM
    There's a guide on here to wipe your BB if you're not too sure.
    If you are referring to the How to Wipe With jl cmder guide, I gave that link in post #2.
    03-03-10 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD