Hi, everyone,

I am a new BB user - have had my Curve for about a month now - and I love it. Problem is that this morning, it got knocked into the damn toilet, of all things.

I immediately freaked out and snatched it out of the water, shaking it furiously to try to get the water to come out while trying not to wail. It started going berzerk and randomly typing letters each time I shook it, but since I was half-awake, it didn't occur to me until after a minute of this to take the battery out. Me = epic fail.

Yanked the battery and memory card, wiped out the water as much as possible, shook it some more, cursed the gods, and then ran here to see what, if anything, could be done.

So thanks to all of your great advice, it is now sitting in a ziplock full of rice, which I HOPE will do the trick. However, I do have questions about both the water damage stickers and the LED light.

1.) The small square sticker is completely red, so I know that one is screwed, but the sticker on my battery is white with 2 rows of pink Xs - what should that sticker look like?

2.) What do the different LED light patterns mean? I saw something about 3 flashes and then 2 flashes in other threads - what does that mean? Are there any other LED light patterns that indicate damage? I'm guessing this is similar to the POST noises on a computer, so if this were one of my PCs, I would know what they mean, but I have NO idea what the LEDs mean on the BB.

I am going to leave it in the bag and restrain myself from trying to make it start again for a couple of days, but I am just curious about the LEDs for when I do try to power it back up.

Who knew a phone would be able to cause me this much angst? I feel like I lost my hand or something! Commence weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments, Old-Testament-style.

Sigh.
    12-18-08 08:19 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Honestly u have to have a wait and see attititude about it. Give it about 12 hours and try it again. You should be ok it just depends on how long it was in water with the battery in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 10:07 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Honestly u have to have a wait and see attititude about it. Give it about 12 hours and try it again. You should be ok it just depends on how long it was in water with the battery in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am trying to wait and see, I am just heartbroken.

It was only submerged for a couple of seconds before I pulled it out of the water, but it took me at least a minute to smarten up and yank the battery. I have a friend who routinely dumps phones into toilets or puddles, and hers are always fine after they dry out, but I suppose I fear I am not that lucky.
    12-18-08 11:17 AM
    The battery should have the x's, if thats red, then the battery is dead too.

Leave it alone for a good 3 or so days, you will just have to wait till its completely dried out to see if it still works, there have been stories that they do actually come back to *life* once dried, but, each case is different,

Hope it works out for you.
    12-18-08 11:21 AM
    The battery should have the x's, if thats red, then the battery is dead too.

Leave it alone for a good 3 or so days, you will just have to wait till its completely dried out to see if it still works, there have been stories that they do actually come back to *life* once dried, but, each case is different,

Hope it works out for you.
    oh crap...my batt has red x's too but i know it hasn't ever come close to getting wet......

now im fraid of that ghost.....
    12-18-08 11:28 AM
    You are misunderstanding. good battery = the x's
    12-18-08 11:29 AM
    Make sure it is *really* dry before you fire it up. Waiting at least a coulpe of days is good advice. I have resurrected two wet phones from my children. If the water is from a municipal source (i.e. not a pool or, God Forbid, salt water) there is some hope. I have found that the main problem is corrosion that occurs afterward that causes the phone to fail after a few days or a couple of weeks. So if the water is reasonably clean without much dissolved salts, you get the phone really dry AND nothing is fried, you should be OK. Sorry that happened. I had a similar problem when I fell down a waterfall. Lost my glasses too when I cracked my head on a rock on the way down. Since I was ultimately OK, I didn't worry about the trashed phone hehe.
    12-18-08 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD