So my girlfriend's dog, who never touched her phone before last friday, chewed up her 8310. I offered to try to fix it so she gave me what's left of the carnage.
    The lcd does not work, though it rings when I call or text it. So is it safe to assume the insides are still good to go? I don't want to have to buy parts and not have it work in the end.
    My guess is I would need the full housing with lens, etc, and and an lcd. Do I need anything else?
    Thanks.
    02-24-09 11:55 AM
    Any insurance? Figured I would ask since it was not mentioned in the post.
    02-24-09 12:26 PM
    I think you'll find this is "beyond economic repair" or at least very close. You know the LCD is damaged, but do you know the logic drivers for it are still intact?

Look on the bright side, at least you're not listening to it ringing inside the dog...
    02-24-09 12:40 PM
    $45.00 new full housing
    $35.99 new LCD
    $16.00 New keyboard set w/ trackball

So your up to $97.00 for parts, and that's just by me looking at it. Hopefully boards and such are okay but we really don't know yet...... But all in all it doesn't seem bad.

I say go for it.... When is her next upgrade?
    02-24-09 12:40 PM
    ouch! sorry bout ur gf's berry! hope things work out for you/her - sorry i cant offer nething-not sure where to get parts!
    02-24-09 12:47 PM
    OUCH.

for the price of replacing and fixing everything, i say you and your gf should re-evaluate if its really worth fixing. when's her next upgrade? if its a while from now, maybe try to find some good deals for bbs online?
    02-24-09 12:58 PM
    There's no insurance, and her upgrade is still in about 8 months or so.
    She was able to call me right after it happened becuase she just had to press the send key twice. Voice was still very clear so I guess damage internally wasn't too bad...if any.

As far as 'logic drivers.' I'm not really sure what those are...heheh..sorry. Care to explain?

I think I can get an oem full housing with keyboard for about $30 and an oem LCD for right around $35 on ebay. Both sellers seem to have excellent feedback. Is ebay pretty safe to get parts from? I know about cnn.cn and truesupplier. I'll get my parts there if buying from ebay is definitely a no-no.
    02-24-09 01:08 PM
    Yeah, I'm also keeping an eye out for some good deals on bbs online to keep my options open.

I'm just thinking, if all I needs is the lcd and full housing, then I'm all for that. But you never know if something else got damaged and the phone ends up not working in the end..
    02-24-09 01:10 PM
    Sometimes you can find a BB on eBay that has a bad ESN but is being sold for parts, or as use as a PDA. These normally sell pretty low, but sometimes are in working condition. Otherwise I'd ask the seller specifically what works/doesn't work. That would be an option I'd explore.

Hard to tell from the pics but there appears to be damage to the camera lens area.
    02-24-09 01:24 PM
    ^^ Yeah I forgot to mention the camera. But you're right, it is damaged. That's just something she'll have to get used to if her ends up getting fixed...hahah.
    02-24-09 01:32 PM
    Or look for a dummy or display device for the housing. Seen that idea floated a couple of times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 01:36 PM
    I know someone selling an 8310 in box brand new for $150....
    02-24-09 01:43 PM
    And that still has imei on box, and without contract if it helps.
    02-24-09 01:45 PM
    As far as 'logic drivers.' I'm not really sure what those are...heheh..sorry. Care to explain?
    In this case, the circuitry which converts the processor output to a screen image and drives the LCD. On a PC it would be the video card. On a phone it's usually on the mainboard, and it won't respond well to wet doggy slobber.
    02-24-09 05:54 PM
    ^^ Yeah I forgot to mention the camera. But you're right, it is damaged. That's just something she'll have to get used to if her ends up getting fixed...hahah.
    I think the camera is mounted on the mainboard so it will be worth a careful inspection here before you commit money to the project. Any damage to the mainboard and the phone is scrap. It's not only the camera (not critical) it's the other tiny copper tracks and components around it and within the layers of the board, which may have nothing to do with cameras.

I still think it would be worth digging into every insurance policy you have. Maybe even her domestic policy will cover it.
    02-24-09 06:08 PM
    Those pictures look painful. Craigslist is also another option of getting another one.
    02-24-09 06:12 PM
    it might be time for a new phone and a new dog....
    02-24-09 07:56 PM
    if you looked around on ebay for parts you could probably get a new shell + screen and a LCD screen + keyboard for under 70 bucks
    02-24-09 08:01 PM
    Time to buy that dog some chew toys. S

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 08:04 PM
    Wow, thanks for the responses guys.

And about her dog..we think she chewed up the bb because of that rubber/silicone skin. Probably thought it was one of her chew toys. hahah. But that was definitely unacceptable.

I think I can get the needed parts for a little over $50, so I think it's worth a try to try and fix it. If it doesnt work, guess I'll take skullz up on his offer..hahah.
    02-24-09 11:00 PM
    update..............

The new lcd and parts came in a couple days ago. Installation was perfect, except it wasn't fitting right at first...until I figured out how to put the side rails in correctly .
    So since it wasn't fitting right at first, I kept screwing and unscrewing the parts....so on my final attempt to screw everything back together, one of the screws broke .
    Extra screws should be coming in next week though along with a new keyboard. A new black trackball should also be in by this weekend.
    I did an OS upgrade, and everything's running fine so far!

Thanks for all the help!!!
    Overall, I spent a little over $70. $20 off my initial $50 estimate, but it's better than getting a $100+ replacement phone. This should do for the mean time until she gets her upgrade some months from now.
    03-04-09 04:33 PM
    "The dog ate my blackberry", now that's a new one

I bought and installed a new screen cover yesterday and of course I broke a screw because I didn't think through which screw went where, and that's shameful since I've disassembled/reassembled my phone twice.

I thought I'd add two things in case someone refers to this thread for help with the same problem in the future (or similar, like the woodpecker poked a hole in the screen or something like that ).

When I was looking at purchasing a "full housing" (not just the faceplate and back battery cover) on ebay, the listing didn't state anything about screws that would come with it. I normally would have assumed so, but I asked the seller and he said they didn't come with it and that screws would cost around $9 although he didn't sell them. So be sure you know exactly what your buying is all that you need. Plus, as most people here know, you'll need a little tool kit which consists of two different screwdrivers and a plastic hooked wedge device. Some replacement part listings on ebay will include this, some don't. If you have to buy them seperately they're less than $10.

Glad to hear your phone is back in order!

Debbie
    04-27-09 05:07 PM
    The camera looks a little busted too..
    04-27-09 06:29 PM
    update..............

The new lcd and parts came in a couple days ago. Installation was perfect, except it wasn't fitting right at first...until I figured out how to put the side rails in correctly .
    So since it wasn't fitting right at first, I kept screwing and unscrewing the parts....so on my final attempt to screw everything back together, one of the screws broke .
    Extra screws should be coming in next week though along with a new keyboard. A new black trackball should also be in by this weekend.
    I did an OS upgrade, and everything's running fine so far!

Thanks for all the help!!!
    Overall, I spent a little over $70. $20 off my initial $50 estimate, but it's better than getting a $100+ replacement phone. This should do for the mean time until she gets her upgrade some months from now.
    Glad to hear and see that your curve is back to normal.
    04-27-09 06:32 PM
    if my dog chewed it up like that, i would smack it soooo hard.
    wait, maybe not, i would cry after from feeling mean.
    04-27-09 06:49 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD