Hi all. I just arrived in CST from EST and I noticed that my clock has yet to move back one hour. In my options I have "date/time source" set to "network" so I assume it should change automatically.

Do I have to do something else? Hopefully I don't have to manually change it each time.

(Quick note: in the options, it does show the "network time" correctly, i.e. CST, but the time in the upper left still shows EST)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 01:35 PM
    Network Time doesn't work because BB use timezones. So technically the time is correct for the "Home" timezone. You'll have to set it to Blackberry or change it manually.
    11-26-08 01:46 PM
    I tried blackberry too but it didn't work either. Maybe I didn't wait long enough

11-26-08 01:48 PM
    Yeah, no luck. I had to manually change the time zone. I can't believe with a phone as advanced as a BB that it can't update the time itself

11-26-08 01:56 PM
    Well... It's actually more advamced than you might think :-) It's becaiuse BlackBerry has to deal with calendars that may have appts in different time zones. Notice when you set up an appt you can set the time zone? That allows time-zone travelers' calendars to always be correct in whatever time zone they find themsleves. The downside is you have to tell the BlackBerry what time zone that is. But I love it when I set up a west-coast appt while on the east coast and when I get to the west coast and chsnge the time zone, the appt is magically correct!

11-26-08 02:04 PM
    So what is the point of setting the "source" to "network" or "blackberry"? Those options don't seem to change anything

11-26-08 04:59 PM
    Network picks up the minutes only from the local cell tower, so it keeps you always on the correct minute. I have a detailed explanation with examples in my thread titled Time Zone Issues that's linked in my sig.
    11-26-08 05:26 PM
    Network picks up the minutes only from the local cell tower, so it keeps you always on the correct minute. I have a detailed explanation with examples in my thread titled Time Zone Issues that's linked in my sig.
    Thanks, very informative!
    11-30-08 09:38 PM

You explained this problem so clearly, I thank you! I use my BB Curve as my alarm clock as well, so I guess I will have to set the BB time in whatever time zone I land.

I'll just leave it on Network, right?

Thanks, again!
    Steph
    12-08-08 10:42 AM
    Still though, why isn't the BB able to detect the new time zone it's in and change it automatiucally? Not just change the time, but the time zone -- what we have to do manually.

12-08-08 11:17 AM
    Older versions of Outlook made it hard to work with Time Zones correctly. Most people just treat their time zone like "local time." But Outlook associates a real time zone with every appointment. If the BlackBerry updated your Time Zone automatically, then appointments set in the wrong time zone by unsuspecting users would be wrong when the Time Zone changed. So the BlackBerry makes everybody change their timezones so you can't overlook the problem. That's just my opinion; I don't work for RIM or Microsoft.

One of our CrackBerry software developers looked at writing an app to do it, but RIM doesn't provide the necessary software hooks for developers to do it differently.
    12-08-08 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD