I've read into a lot of threads to see if I'm posting information that has been answered a lot but I can't seem to find the specific answer I'm looking for.

I know it's not possible to unlock a CDMA Blackberry, that the ESN number is locked to the carrier, etc...

What I wanted to know though was if the ESN number is locked to a carrier simply because they have a list of ESN numbers in their database that they accept, and if the number on the back of the phone (the ESN number is visible right?) matches then they can setup your phone.

I'm in Mongolia and really need to find a good phone that works on a CDMA network + does CDMA 1X internet. I'm pretty sure a Curve does all that and I would love to use one here over all the cheap Chinese and Korean phones that are found here. The reason I think this may be possible is that at least here, I could most likely go into the providers office and give them the ESN number and have them ADD it to their existing list, things aren't as tight or competitive here and I don't think they will refuse just because it's not their phone.

Anyways, if those things happened, would it be possible to run a Sprint or Verizon phone on this network in Mongolia?

Thanks for any insight, I might not be understanding ESN numbers properly yet so maybe someone can make this clearer.
    11-30-08 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD