So, I think I may have come up with a solution to the problem everyone is having with the word wrap on the WAP forums.

I'm gonna need a few people to test this out for me, but so far it seems to be working with 100% success rate.

For those of you who are BB savvy, disable auto encoding on the browser and set the encoding method to US-ASCII.

For those of you not so BB savvy, from your browser, hit Menu, and go to Set Encoding. Uncheck the box that says Auto Mode, then set Default Charset to US-ASCII and hit OK.

Now go try to reply to somebody and see if it works! Let's hope this does it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 04:38 AM
    I would be curious as to what else in the browser this will affect before I do it. I don't find it that big of a deal to quote anyways when I'm on the wap. If I need to reply to anyone ill generally just do the '@user-' or I will just answer the question for everyone

02-11-09 05:14 AM
    So, I think I may have come up with a solution to the problem everyone is having with the word wrap on the WAP forums.

I'm gonna need a few people to test this out for me, but so far it seems to be working with 100% success rate.

For those of you who are BB savvy, disable auto encoding on the browser and set the encoding method to US-ASCII.

For those of you not so BB savvy, from your browser, hit Menu, and go to Set Encoding. Uncheck the box that says Auto Mode, then set Default Charset to US-ASCII and hit OK.

That worked for me.

Can you tell me Exactly what i changed....what it does.

Thanks!

02-11-09 06:11 AM
    I would be curious as to what else in the browser this will affect before I do it. I don't find it that big of a deal to quote anyways when I'm on the wap. If I need to reply to anyone ill generally just do the '@user-' or I will just answer the question for everyone

Same here. i'm changing it back until i know what else it effects.

Seems to work here though!

It appears to fix the editing too.

OP-what was it set to before?

02-11-09 06:15 AM
    this is a great find, but i want to know what is affected, because who knows what wont work now because of that...

great find to the OP tho!
    02-11-09 06:25 AM
    Dream, what is the default? What is yours currently set to?

i want to change mine back but i didn't take note what it was before i changed it! Ha.

Thanks.

02-11-09 06:28 AM

This worked for me! I could rarely reply or edit before now. Thanks for the tip, but I am with some of the others... What other changes (if any) will I see since I changed the encoding option?

02-11-09 06:45 AM
    Iso-8859-1 is the default on my 8330

02-11-09 10:57 AM
    This worked for me! I could rarely reply or edit before now. Thanks for the tip, but I am with some of the others... What other changes (if any) will I see since I changed the encoding option?

As far as I know, since we're using ASCII encoding, there shouldn't me (many) differences. Lol. That's why I was asking for people to test it out. I haven't noticed any issues so far... If I run into anything I'll let you know.

02-11-09 11:05 AM
    Oh, and yes, ISO 8859-1 is the default setting.

02-11-09 11:06 AM
    thanks guys! i'll try it out too!
    02-11-09 11:07 AM
    ISO 8859-1 is Western European encoding. It works for most web pages, but for some reason RIM opted to not default to UTF-8 (Unicode).

02-11-09 11:13 AM
    ISO 8859-1 is Western European encoding. It works for most web pages, but for some reason RIM opted to not default to UTF-8 (Unicode).

OK, I've been doing some testing, and here's the final solution: leave Auto Mode enabled, and set the default encoding to UTF-8. This will cure the reply/edit issue and keep compatibility with other websites.

I think the issue is CB has no encoding method set for the WAP site, so your BB is defaulting to ISO 8859-1, but since it's a North American site, they are using UTF-8 encoding.

02-11-09 01:36 PM
    Why then does the phone default to ISO 8859-1 out of the box?

For example if i go to amazon.com and check the default encoding it still says ISO 8859-1.

How do we know what coding different websites use?

And you're saying UTF-8 is the what most na sites use, right?

Thanks for explaining, i'm new to this encoding.

02-11-09 01:45 PM
    No, it shouldn't. Since you're leaving the Auto Mode enabled, sites that force an encoding method will override the UTF-8 setting.

02-11-09 01:45 PM
    Ah, got it. That makes sense!

Thanks so much!

02-11-09 01:47 PM
    Does it change things on other sites?

02-11-09 01:48 PM
    ISO 8859-1 is Western European default. I honestly don't know why RIM picked that as their default. But yes, UTF-8 is what most sites use. It's Unicode.

02-11-09 01:48 PM
    thanks.......
    02-11-09 01:50 PM
    ISO 8859-1 is Western European default. I honestly don't know why RIM picked that as their default. But yes, UTF-8 is what most sites use. It's Unicode.

Cool. i am starting to understand now! Great find and thanks for being patient with the questions!

02-11-09 01:51 PM

Like I said, it shouldn't. Leaving Auto Mode enabled allows sites that declare encoding to override your default setting, and for those that don't, UTF-8 and ISO 8859-1 are similar enough that there shouldn't be any issues. Of course, I can't promise there won't be compatibility issues, just like using Western European encoding causes the issues with replying on CB.

02-11-09 01:52 PM

What he's saying is that no, it won't (or shouldn't) cause a problem with any other sites because first most na sites use that UTF-8 code and secondly because having the auto box check will override any encoding we set on the phone on sites that "enforce an encoding method. "

Apparently CB doesn't force any method and the phone uses the default that RIM had us using.

If i'm understanding correctly.

02-11-09 01:55 PM
    Like I said, it shouldn't. Leaving Auto Mode enabled allows sites that declare encoding to override your default setting, and for those that don't, UTF-8 and ISO 8859-1 are similar enough that there shouldn't be any issues. Of course, I can't promise there won't be compatibility issues, just like using Western European encoding causes the issues with replying on CB.
    Sorry Josh I didn't refresh my page before posting. It worked here for me.

02-11-09 01:55 PM

So if we have issues with sites we should try either UTF-8 or ISO 8859-1? Are those the two main codes (or whatever the term is) in use for "most" sites?

why did you want us to try US-ASCII first? what is that? what is the difference between that one and the UTF-8?

EDIT: my editing seems to be working great now too!

Last edited by chrisy520; 02-11-09 at 02:07 PM.
    02-11-09 01:58 PM
    Only problem I see is that my bookmarked pages won't load. I had to reenter them for it to work. Other than that no problems.
    02-11-09 02:07 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD