Yup. Long time WinMo user jumping to the BlackBerry side.

Hoping its as smooth a transition as everyone says it is. I'm sick of constantly flashing my Mogul to make it work halfway decently and replacing it every ~3 months...

I have a question though. Is it going to be easy to transfer my stuff from my Mogul to my Curve? Like my contacts and everything? That was something I didn't think of before pushing that Buy It Now button lol.

Another question - should I update it to the 4.5 OS right away? Or would it be better to wait until Sprint officially supports it? I'm in the habit of flashing things that Sprint doesn't support on my Mogul... but I don't want to go tinkering around with a brand new device I know nothing about.

Anyone else come from a WinMo phone that might have some tips for me?

Thank you!
    10-27-08 04:33 AM
    welcome to the club i think you are the first person i've come across since being on this site, that came from the same situation as me. I too had the mogul (branded the xv6800 on vzw) and too had a appetite for flashing. As soon as i got my curve for verizon i updated to the 4.5 OS for me the trasnsition has been pretty good. I still find myself wanting to touch the screen but getting used to, but i'm only in curve land for a few more weeks whenever the storm comes out.

As far as syncing contacts I have a mac so i used whatever program they had for mac to sync my contacts and everyone was saved in my address book on OS X. I'm wanting to guess that as long as your contacts are saved in outlook on your pc than it should do the same as my mac did find the contacts and sync them right up. (don't hold me to this though)

The only complaint that i have is that alot of the programs you could get for free with winmo seems like you have to pay for to obtain them for the blackberry. My last statement may not be all that true though cause i really haven't looked that hard either. I don't want to research so much for the curve and have the storm be completely different.
    10-27-08 08:39 AM
    Since you have Sprint as your carrier you can take both phones into the store and they will transfer your contacts to your BB. I had an i850 nextel and they transferred mine no problem. As for updating the OS, I'm personally waiting until the official release. I don't feel like having a nuked BB
    10-27-08 08:55 AM
    Welcome to the BB side. I'm new here too, came from a 700wx less than a week ago. It was painless to bring over my contacts and calendar info using Outlook. I think I'm pretty much over the touch screen in less that a week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 09:00 AM
    I'm a long time XV6800 user as well, or was rather. I flashed that thing dozens or times, maybe hundreds, to get it to do what I wanted. After switching to the VZW 8330 I haven't looked back once. Day one I flashed it to the latest OS, piece of cake really, and have enjoyed 4.5 without any issues.

As for your contacts, your carrier can do it as stated by scgolfer. For me it was simple, I'm an admin with an undisclosed retail food chain *cough* Ruby Tuesday *cough* so I just added myself to our BES server and let it pull my contacts from the exchange server.

Software wasn't really an issue for me. I had everything known to man loaded on my XV6800, but just a select few apps / themes on my blackberry. I've found that I don't "need" all the other junk to appreciate and enjoy the use of my blackberry. Jivetalk however, a must get app, very cool.

Either or, welcome to crackberry.. once you go crack you never go back!

This would have been posted from my crackberry but I left my baby at home! I'm a bad crackberry owner, bad!
    Last edited by StirCwazy; 10-27-08 at 09:11 AM.
    10-27-08 09:06 AM
    I forgot all about your carrier being able to do it if they have the cellbrite program.

10-27-08 10:07 AM
    I came from the htc touch to the bb curve which I bought the day it was released May 9...The curve is the best phone I have ever owned...I used the Device Switch Wizard on the Blackberry Desktop Manager to move my info to my curve....

The rumor is the official Sprint 4.5/mms update is coming Nov. 4 however I have been running 4.5.0.66 for awhile and its very stable...Welcome to the family. I bought my husband who has a MOGUL a curve on Friday...should be here Wednesday...
    Last edited by MsRandall; 10-27-08 at 10:30 AM.
    10-27-08 10:27 AM
    Welcome to the forums and the crack head way of life. Hey if u want feel free to send me your mogul and ill take it off your hands for ya

10-27-08 10:29 AM
    Wow, sounds like I definitely made the right decision switching. I was going back and forth for a few hours over whether I found the Touch Pro worth 420 bucks or if I'd rather get a Curve.

The Curve won.

I'm so stoked to get it. Im gonna miss my picture mail though :<
    10-27-08 02:33 PM
    congrats on your curve and
    10-27-08 02:38 PM
    I came from Windows Mobile device as well. I never did customize it, but in my opinion it was too much of a hassle.

As soon as I got my blackberry, I was so amazed. I didn't know there could be a phone that actually had a stable OS, and was able to be customized in so many ways !
    10-27-08 02:40 PM
    You will love your new purchase,

I got my curve in September, best phone/laptop/invention ever LOL Both fiance and I had iphones, he wouldnt switch blah blah blah, however, he has my older 8320, and is all blackberry addicted now, its quite entertaining to let him know what he had previously said

"I dont think ill ever like the blackberry"

Yah.. ok... says you who is currently looking for apps

Enjoy it!
    10-27-08 02:41 PM
    The more I read about this thing, the more I'm falling in love. So many shortcuts! That was one thing that I missed moving over to Windows Mobile. The Sidekick II that I had was loaded with convenient shortcuts for just about everything. It took me about half the time to do things on that device as it did with the touchscreen. Sounds like when I get used to it, it will be the same story with this Curve.

I'm going to have to start finding apps. I did notice that there aren't any free applications really, which is kind of a bummer. And JiveTalk and IM+ are really expensive for what they are :/

And yeah, I have a diehard Apple fan for a friend. He bought the first gen iPhone for the ridiculous price tag the day it launched, then bought the 3G the day it launched... and he told me that the only other device he'd ever consider is a BlackBerry so that sounds like a great endorsement to me.

I think I am going to to update to 4.5 just because I already found a few really slick themes that require it lol.
    10-27-08 03:12 PM
    Get yourself a memory card also....
    10-27-08 03:15 PM
    Yeah it comes with a 1GB card... thinkin about buyin the new 16GB card for it since the BB actually has a 3.5mm headphone jack... hopefully the sound quality is decent enough so I don't have to carry around an MP3 player lol.
    10-27-08 03:22 PM
    You will love your new purchase,

I got my curve in September, best phone/laptop/invention ever LOL Both fiance and I had iphones, he wouldnt switch blah blah blah, however, he has my older 8320, and is all blackberry addicted now, its quite entertaining to let him know what he had previously said

"I dont think ill ever like the blackberry"

Yah.. ok... says you who is currently looking for apps

Enjoy it!
    i think i may have said the same thing, that i would never get a blackberry and really had it not been for the storm i probably still wouldn't have tried it out. I recently got rid of my winmo phone to get a curve to hold me over til the storm comes and i'm loving it.
    10-27-08 03:22 PM
    The Storm is appealing to me... but at the same time, I am questioning long term reliability of the floating screen... Definitely not something I'm willing to jump on right away... Unless Verizon prices it really well and Sprint royally ticks me off.

Anyway just checked my email. He sent it with 2-3 day shipping when it was supposed to be 5-7! I'll be on my Curve before Friday!!!
    10-27-08 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD