I recently inherited this phone from my sister. She got it from someone else and it came with this problem and she never fixed it. I've had it less than a week and it's driving me crazy.

It auto locks itself after being unused for a few minutes. Every time I pick it up, it's locked and I have to put in the code to unlock the keypad and use it.

Took it to an AT&T store and the guy had no clue. He looked in the security area but didn't see a setting for that.

Anyone have any ideas??
    Thanks!
    09-10-09 06:26 AM
    Was the device used on BES when your sister had it? There could be an IT policy on the device which wont allow you to deactivate that.
    09-10-09 06:30 AM
    #1-Goto Options!
    #2-Goto Security!
    #3-Goto General Settings!
    #4-Where it says Password, select disable!
    #5-It will prompt you to re enter the password, then it will be disabled!

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 06:34 AM
    Dreamtobelieve,
    I'm not sure what that means. Maybe Tripster's tip will help. Thanks for answering!

Tripster,
    When I get to the password part and I have "enabled" highlighted, how do I disable? I clicked it and got the following options:
    Change password
    Wipe handheld
    Verify security software
    Save
    Close
    Full Menu

Full Menu gives me the same options plus Help and Switch Application.

Sorry for a dumb question. This is all new to me and I have no manual. Just what I'm learning on here.

THANKS!
    09-10-09 06:58 AM
    This would lead me to believe there is an IT policy on the device. I would suggest that you will probably want to back up your device through Desktop Manager, then wipe the device and start fresh with a clean OS install, we can help you with that if you wish.
    09-10-09 07:01 AM
    Dreamtobelieve,
    I'm not sure what that means. Maybe Tripster's tip will help. Thanks for answering!

Tripster,
    When I get to the password part and I have "enabled" highlighted, how do I disable? I clicked it and got the following options:
    Change password
    Wipe handheld
    Verify security software
    Save
    Close
    Full Menu

Full Menu gives me the same options plus Help and Switch Application.

Sorry for a dumb question. This is all new to me and I have no manual. Just what I'm learning on here.

THANKS!
    When you have Enable highlighted click your trackball then select disable. It will prompt you to re enter the password again. Then if it worked when it should press your BB button and save.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-10-09 07:03 AM
    Trip, if it doesnt give that option, there is an IT policy on the device, which when the device has one of these, it will not allow a password to be disabled unless you do the IT policy fix, which for a new user is rather complicated, or a clean OS install.
    09-10-09 07:05 AM
    This would lead me to believe there is an IT policy on the device. I would suggest that you will probably want to back up your device through Desktop Manager, then wipe the device and start fresh with a clean OS install, we can help you with that if you wish.
    Seems that way to me too, never had to do that so you are better off explaining the how to.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-10-09 07:05 AM
    Wiping the device or reloading/upgrading the OS will not remove an IT policy.

Check this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...y-phone-81401/ for instructions on how to remove the policy.
    09-10-09 07:09 AM
    If you use JL and then reload a fresh os, you are telling me that there will still be an IT policy?
    09-10-09 07:15 AM
    Using JL is not the same as a normal wipe, which is why I posted the link to the instructions. Wiping the phone from the Security options will not remove the policy. Neither will loading a new OS. Your post was a little misleading.
    09-10-09 07:22 AM
    When you have Enable highlighted click your trackball then select disable. It will prompt you to re enter the password again. Then if it worked when it should press your BB button and save.

Thnx, �Tripster�

When I click on the trackball, I don't get a disable option. I get the menu that I posted a minute ago. So maybe it's like dreamtobelieve said and it's not over-rideable unless I do a clean sweep. ??
    09-10-09 07:23 AM
    Using JL is not the same as a normal wipe, which is why I posted the link to the instructions. Wiping the phone from the Security options will not remove the policy. Neither will loading a new OS. Your post was a little misleading.
    A clean OS install would require you to wipe the device, beyond what you can do on the device.

As for the OP, if you need help with how to wipe the device and such, let us know.
    Heres a link to read a bit about it. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    09-10-09 07:25 AM
    Thank you all very, very much for your help. I was hoping it was an easier fix. My sister thought this phone was dead when she upgraded to a newer phone and let me have it basically for the SIM card. It's working now. I'm afraid to clean sweep anything because she still has info on her she probably needs to retrieve now that she can. Maybe later once she's truly done with it. Thanks so much! Will be perusing the boards for more tips and such to learn this thing.
    09-10-09 07:39 AM
    Well when you are ready to make the move if you need some help, let us know, and we will be glad to help!

BTW welcome, we are glad to have you here, feel free to cruise around and check everything out and let us know any issues you experience.
    09-10-09 07:41 AM
    Well when you are ready to make the move if you need some help, let us know, and we will be glad to help!

BTW welcome, we are glad to have you here, feel free to cruise around and check everything out and let us know any issues you experience.
    Thanks! Will do.
    09-10-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD