I recently performed the v4.5.110 firmware upgrade on my Blackberry Curve 8310. Tonight I went in to do some "maintenance" to clear out some of my Saved Messages. I noticed that some of my messages had been duplicated multiple times (20 times in some cases) and I'm not able to delete them in a batch or individually.

I went into the BB Desktop Backup/Restore area and tried to clear them from there, but the Saved Messages folder is grayed out and unavailable for me to select 'clear'.

I removed the battery and still can't delete the strange duplicated Saved Messages.

Any suggestions?!??!
    04-01-09 10:32 PM
    I'm bumping this one because I really need your help!
    04-03-09 01:01 PM
    Did you resend your service books?
    04-03-09 01:08 PM
    I sure did.
    04-03-09 01:11 PM
    when you removed the battery, was the device on? it should be in order to do a hard reset.
    04-03-09 01:14 PM
    And you already tried going to messages>view saved messages>specific date>delete prior?
    04-03-09 01:15 PM
    Yep. The device was on when I removed the battery and also when I did the hard boot (alt-cap-del).

And, yes, I went to View Saved Messages and tried to delete individual, multiple and prior messages. They won't go away and there are even multiples of the same message that weren't there originally.
    04-03-09 01:15 PM
    so, you have have the option to delete when you press menu, but they just wont go away when you do delete them?
    04-03-09 01:19 PM
    You might want to try this. This about as close as I could find any info about it.

Unable to delete new messages on BlackBerry device

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB11558
    Last Modified : 01-05-2009
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry� Desktop Software
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    BlackBerry device

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    The BlackBerry device user is unable to delete any email on the BlackBerry device. When the BlackBerry device user tries to delete email on the BlackBerry device, nothing happens and no error message appears.

Cause
    The Messages folder or the Folder ID database on the BlackBerry device has become corrupted.

Resolution
    Back up the BlackBerry device using BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Clear the Messages folder, Folder ID database, Folders, and Purge Messages database on the

BlackBerry device.

To perform the above tasks, complete the following steps:

Make sure your BlackBerry device is connected to your computer.
    Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click Backup and Restore.
    On the Backup and Restore window, click Advanced. The Backup/Restore window appears.
    In the list of BlackBerry device databases, select Messages, Folder ID, Folders and Purge Messages then click Clear.
    Click OK in the Warning window.
    Click Close.
    Perform a wired reconciliation of messages on the BlackBerry device to generate Folders and Folder ID as follows:

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.1 and earlier

Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Double-click the Intellisync icon.
    In the Synchronize now section, select the Reconcile messages check box.
    Click Synchronize now.

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.2 and later

Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Double-click the Synchronize icon.
    In the Synchronize now section, select the Reconcile messages check box.
    Click Synchronize now.
    Restore Messages from IDP files on the BlackBerry device.

In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, open Backup and Restore.
    Click Advanced.
    Click File > Open and select the backup file (with the IPD extension) that you saved.
    From Desktop File Databases listed in the left pane, select Messages, Folder, and Folder ID, and click the right arrow to move the databases to the right pane.
    Click OK to allow the restore operation to overwrite the BlackBerry device databases.
    04-03-09 01:20 PM
    If this continues, I would try the upgrade again. Sounds like the DL got corrupted.
    04-03-09 01:21 PM
    so, you have have the option to delete when you press menu, but they just wont go away when you do delete them?
    That's exactly what is happening. I even get the hourglass like it is processing the deletion, but the files remain.

If I try to delete them throught BB Desktop, the Saved Messages folder is grayed out and I can't do it that way either.
    04-03-09 01:21 PM
    Thank you, lastraid. I'll go through those steps and see what happens and if that doesn't work, I'll take Blackberry Bob's suggestion and try the upgrade again.

Frustrating!
    04-03-09 01:25 PM
    You might just want to wipe the device and do a plain sync, do not restore the back up as it will bring back the corruption. If this does not work, then do the OS
    04-03-09 01:27 PM
    That's exactly what is happening. I even get the hourglass like it is processing the deletion, but the files remain.

If I try to delete them throught BB Desktop, the Saved Messages folder is grayed out and I can't do it that way either.
    Yeah, I was going to suggest that, but saw the same thing when I tried it. You can back them up, but not clear them.
    04-03-09 01:28 PM
    You might just want to wipe the device and do a plain sync, do not restore the back up as it will bring back the corruption. If this does not work, then do the OS
    It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to wipe the device. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but...ah well!
    04-03-09 01:32 PM
    Good luck, report back and let us know if it is resolved.
    04-03-09 01:41 PM
    I wiped the device and used the restore that I did just before the upgrade to get rid of the pesky undeletable saved messages.

Thanks to everyone for your help. It was much appreciated.
    04-03-09 05:31 PM

Not sure if you got this fixed or not, but following the steps in the Blackberry KB above about Folder, Folder ID and Message restoration fixed this PRECISE problem for me anyway (Bold 9000) and I was FREAAAKING out thinking I had lost all these messages...
    11-11-09 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD