Hello all Crackberry newbie here!

I just purchased the Curve 8310 and the new Blackjack II (windows mobile 6) through AT&T at the begining of the year. My girlfriend decided to keep the Curve and I got stuck with the BJ II. I've come to notice a SMS problem while using these devices. The Curve seems to not receive text messages over 160 characters when sent from my Blackjack II. The unusual thing is that if 2 or more text msgs (over 160 characters) are sent from the Curve to the BJ II there is no problem with the BJ II receiving them. However, if I send a text over 160 characters from the BJ II to the Curve, the message is never received. Just by inputing a 161 character text message on the BJ II sent to the Curve no msg is received.

In the past my girlfriend had a PEARL through Tmobile and I had the PPC-6700 (windows mobile 5) and I could send multple messages over 160 characters to her Pearl and not one problem. The BJ II can send messages over 160 characters to any other phone except the Curve. I have also tried sending a text of over 160 char. from a Motorola KRAZR to the curve and BJI and there is no problem.

Has anyone experienced any of this before? Any ideas of what I might do?
    Do you think it may be a Windows Mobile 6 compatibility problem with blackberry os?
    02-01-08 01:23 AM
    Probably depends on carriers. I'm on Verizon and I can receive SMS messages with more than 160 characters from V and enV phones.
    02-01-08 05:22 PM
    Probably depends on carriers. I'm on Verizon and I can receive SMS messages with more than 160 characters from V and enV phones.
    A friend of mine just got a curve. She's with Verizon and can't send messages longer than 160 characters to ANYONE (vzw included). Any advice for her? She's talking about taking it back to the store!!!! I'm addicted and I'm trying to get her hooked on CB, too. Lol!
    05-29-08 08:41 PM
    SMS is limited to 160 7-bit characters. That's the standard definition. Verizon doesn't implement extensions on their blackberry's. There is no work around. If your phone supports extensions, you have them, if it doesn't, you don't. Verizons without cameras cannot send or receive picture messages, either.
    05-29-08 08:50 PM
    ...Verizons without cameras cannot send or receive picture messages, either.

I knew they couldn't send picture messages, obviously, but I didn't know they couldn't receive 'em. Interesting.

Thanks,

.::TBA
    05-29-08 10:52 PM
    I'm getting my 8330 from Sprint soon, I wonder If I may encounter the same type of problem... Hmmm
    05-30-08 01:12 AM
    I'm getting my 8330 from Sprint soon, I wonder If I may encounter the same type of problem... Hmmm
    yes you will, 160 characters is the max on Sprint
    05-30-08 02:00 AM
    If someone sends a text to my 8830 with more than 160 characters its usually broken up into 2 text messages but then it also depends on what carrier. If its a Sprint text I get both messages but from another Carrier I dont seem to get the second part of the message.
    05-30-08 07:45 AM
    Just divide it in two messages.
    05-30-08 07:54 AM
    My BB Pearl deletes sent SMS messages, wont' receive any SMS messages and won't log any calls. I have only had the phone a few weeks and the memory is not full.

here's the solution I got from fixya experts:
    hi there, could you backup your file first and then wipe your handheld, the wipe handheld menu is inside the advanced setting, and then go to security, and then click the menu button, it will show wipe handheld, got mine similiar to yours and works ok now
    but remember, backup your files first.
    Another note:first generation of BB software has lot of issues, try replacing it.
    06-26-08 04:55 PM
    The only solution I've found so far is to turn the phone off and take the battery out for about 30 seconds. When you put everything back in it should reboot the phone and everything should start working again. Unfortunatly the issue still happens and I'm not sure whats triggering it. It has something to do with the phone's radio modem - at least I think thats what it is because the phone gives me an error message that the "radio is off". I'm still searching the phone and the web to try to find a solution. Hope this helps. I found this in Fixya : Can't receive SMS messages - FixYa
    Last edited by PinkGeek; 06-26-08 at 05:19 PM.
    06-26-08 05:08 PM
    The way to send messages longer then 160 is to 1 either email the message or 2 send it as an mms. Sending it as mms will allow you 900 characters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 05:11 PM
    If you can't say it in 160 characters, use the phone and call!
    06-26-08 05:23 PM
    Right. SMS is set at 160 characters. Some phones, like the LG I used to have, can send longer messages, but it breaks them into 160-character pages.

Not being able to handle long SMS isn't a problem for just Berries. My son has a Moto Q. It rejects anything over the limit as well.

Notice, the phones that don't play well with extended SMS are also the ones that give you email and other forms of messaging. With all the choices (including 900 character MMS) you really don't need extended SMS.

Warning - if you use MMS to send 900 charactacter messages to phones that don't accept MMS, be prepared for failure. Not many of those left anymore.
    06-26-08 05:24 PM
    My BB Pearl deletes sent SMS messages, wont' receive any SMS messages and won't log any calls. I have only had the phone a few weeks and the memory is not full.

here's the solution I got from fixya experts:
    hi there, could you backup your file first and then wipe your handheld, the wipe handheld menu is inside the advanced setting, and then go to security, and then click the menu button, it will show wipe handheld, got mine similiar to yours and works ok now
    but remember, backup your files first.
    Another note:first generation of BB software has lot of issues, try replacing it.
    How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com

Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Optimize your BB! How To Setup for max free memory!
    06-26-08 05:45 PM
    SMS is limited to 160 7-bit characters. That's the standard definition. Verizon doesn't implement extensions on their blackberry's. There is no work around. If your phone supports extensions, you have them, if it doesn't, you don't. Verizons without cameras cannot send or receive picture messages, either.
    Speaking as a software engineer, that is seriously bad design.

1. Firstly, if a message is accepted then it is valid.
    2. A message, split by phone or carrier into multiple messages should be received by any phone.
    3 Basically, you're saying a non-smart phone can accept a multi-part SMS but a Blackberry cannot, because of some mis-interpreted 160 char rules??

That is laughable but also annoying as I have just 'upgraded' to a Blackberry from an ordinary phone.
    10-23-11 06:28 PM
    You are quoting a post from over 3 years ago. While the SMS specification has not changed as far as I know, there are now good, free work-arounds for the limitation. I use CrunchSMS. It works well. Google CrunchSMS and you'll find it.
    10-23-11 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD