My daughter is on her 3rd BB Curve with Sprint. She uses the internet a TON!! She has had trouble with her curve freezing up, and lately when she is on a call, it will drop the call, the camera will come on, freeze and she has to do a battery pull to get it to recover. Sometimes the camera will freeze on and you can see the wallpaper behind it on the edges. She had to do a battery pull NINE times yesterday because of these glitches. She called and talked to six different 1-800 customer service people at Sprint, six just to see if they would give her the same story, and all said she used the internet too much and that the Curve was not for that kind of usage, and that she needed the Diamond phone they sell, not BB, because it is windows based and made for the internet. I find this hard to believe, and feel they are trying to push a phone on her, but I'd like advice from seasoned BB Curve users. My husband, me and our younger daughter have Curves with Verizon with no problems. Her husband has Sprint also and he has no problems.....but none of us are on the internet as much as she is. We take it to the store and they do a "software push" that they say removes and replaces the software back to factory in case she has a virus. It's very frustrating!! Any advice on what we should do would be greatly appreciated.
    12-16-08 03:56 PM
    Wow, I'm new to having the blackberry, but the internet is what I use the most. And I do about one hundred mb a month of data, most of that simply from internet, and have never had the problem. What is she doing on the internet, and what kind of programs does she get?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 04:03 PM
    She is just surfing the web, doesn't download anything, just mainly looks at sports pages because she loves college football, looks at ebay, reads People.com, and that's about it. She tries to make calls and it tells her to press 1 to activate her phone, and drops calls, and just does some weird stuff, and they say it's because she uses the internet too much and it causes all these weird problems. I just find it hard to believe.
    12-16-08 04:06 PM
    Very unusual. I think this may be more of a memory problem, or a problem with a 3rd party app more so than the phone.

Does this problem only happen after viewing a particular web page?

12-16-08 04:12 PM
    No, this is very random. There is no certain thing that she does, or does not do. She has to clear the cache after every web page or she can't go to another one. It shows she has plenty of memory left, about half, which they say is what is supposed to be. I don't believe she has any 3rd party apps, she just has whatever is on the phone when you bring it home.
    12-16-08 04:20 PM
    The problem is that you use sprint lol
    12-16-08 08:09 PM
    The problem is that you use sprint lol
    haha....I left Sprint years ago, but she is still with them. I don't know what we should try next....she would leave if she wasn't under contract.
    12-16-08 09:00 PM
    Try buying her a laptop PC with wireless access 802.11g to surf from.
    Does she have a Micro memory card installed?
    Does she maintain her files and clean out her emails, text messages and calls made and received on a daily basis?
    Do soft resets help?
    12-16-08 09:48 PM
    What is her file free memory? Options>Status

Also open up Multimedia>Menu Button>Explore> Scroll over device memory and hit Menu Button>Properties What is the percent used?

It almost sounds like she has pictures stored on the file memory and that it is close to the tipping point. When she accumulates cookies etc from web browsing it is pushing the phone past the tipping point. If you could find out those two things it may be a big help towards fixing her problem

If the file free memory is below 12,000,000 bytes (or 12MB), and/or the percentage used is above say 85%, consider deleting pictures, videos, or voice notes that are stored on the device memory (If they are on the microSD card they are okay).
    12-16-08 09:55 PM
    One thing to do is make sure she's clearing the cache every now and then.. Cuz that cache does turn into a memory hog, as well as all the text and emails.. And its always good to do a battery pull about once a week.. Just before she's about to go to bed, pull the battery while its on, count to 30 put it in and let it reboot (dont have to do anything) it will do it on its own.. That might fix alot of problems right there.
    12-16-08 10:02 PM
    Shrefx has it solved IMHO except I don't do battery pulls hardly ever. Have her get in the habit of clearing cache daily (under browser options). She can do a soft reboot a couple of times a week as a help (alt right shift del all at same time). I did not read all the details but she should have all media going to the memory card as well.

12-16-08 10:10 PM
    The techs checked it today, said she has only half of total memory, and said that was normal. She has maybe 6 pics on the 4 gb memory card. She has no songs or pics stored on the phone at all, they checked that today also. She HAS to clear the cache after every web page or it won't open the next one. Like I mentioned, she did NINE battery pulls just today, so she is educated on clearing cache, deleting texts and emails regularly. She did call the 800# once again tonight because it was still messing up, freezing, telling her to press 1 to activate the phone when she would try to make calls, missing calls, etc.....the tech at cust service went through a ton of things, was on the phone with him about an hour and he said it had to be the device because it wouldn't let him do anything he needed to do to correct the problem. He noted the account he did not recommend swapping it out for a 4th one.....so I hate to call the store AGAIN tomorrow and say hey, read our account....they are not very trusting people at those places!! lol
    12-16-08 11:34 PM
    Other then that i dont know.. I've only had my berry for about a week, came to it from the Moto Q9c... She hasnt dropped it in water, or just dropped it and not telling you has she? That will do alot of what you are saying as well.
    12-17-08 07:19 AM
    Have her switch phones with her husband (does he have a Curve as well) and see if her usage can replicate the scenario on his phone. I am with Sprint and use the internet a lot on my phone as well with approx 50% mem left and probably a dozen 3rd party apps and I don't have any of the problems she is encountering. At least this way you can troubleshoot if the phone, the carrier, or she is at fault and go on from there.

12-17-08 07:53 AM
    I have an easy solution, i was having the same problem. Just go to the phone store, cancel your plan and get a new one with Verizon.
    12-17-08 07:57 AM
    I have an easy solution, i was having the same problem. Just go to the phone store, cancel your plan and get a new one with Verizon.
    LOL...easy solution, but very expensive since she's still under contract with Sprint and would have to cancel for both her and her husband, buy two new phones with Verizon....since it would be cheaper to be with the same company rather than paying taxes to two separate ones, and money is tight for them.

Anyway, I appreciate all of everyone's help and suggestions. We are checking with the store today to see what they will do regarding the 800# tech's suggestions. I really believe it is the device and not anything she is doing. I will let you know what happens! Thanks again!!
    12-17-08 11:25 AM
    Is she using the Facebook App? That has caused some real problems.
    If so have her delete it and access Facebook via the browser.
    Just a thought. Good Luck!
    12-17-08 12:45 PM
    Have her restart the phone once in a while. When the techs checked it it must have been after a restart. For all you know with all that activity she runs herself out of memory until she has to restart the BB.
    12-17-08 12:48 PM
    I have never had a Problem with Internet but,,, I do turn the Radio off every night at 11 and back on at 5..... gotta sleep
    I also do a Battery Pull about once a week just Because I have had mine for quite awhile now and it all seems GOOD
    12-17-08 01:13 PM
    Try doing an auto on/off (Options to Auto ON/Off). I have mine turn off at 0300 and turn back on at 0320 daily. Might help.
    12-17-08 04:22 PM
    Thanks everyone....she got the one from ins in the mail today, very quick!! Unfortunately, it had issues of it's own. It froze up with the first thing she tried to do, change the theme to the "L" theme where the icons are on the left and bottom. It got worse from there, battery pulls, reboots, took it to two different stores, and now her fifth "brand new" (they say) curve is on it's way from ins. On the way home from the store after thinking it was fixed, she turned on navigation to see if it was set up, as she uses it for work travel, and when she turned it off, her web icon was gone. She got the web icon back and the navigation one was gone. By the time we got to the 2nd store, both were gone. The guy there messed with it, called the 800#, got them back, but just sitting in the truck on the way home, not messing with it at all, looked and both icons were gone! So, called ins and new one is on the way. So....the saga continues.....
    12-18-08 10:18 PM
    That's sooo weird. Sorry I can't help you. I use the internet aallll day long and don't have any problems. Maybe you guys are just having bad luck. Hope the new curve that's coming works fine.

12-18-08 10:45 PM
    The problem is written out below the space key lol
    Last edited by nemesis91101; 12-19-08 at 12:11 AM.
    12-19-08 12:08 AM
    I've been using my curve now for quite a few months. On some sites I find that the phone will freeze if there is too much content for the phone to load (images etc...) And this is usually when I attempt to visit non-mobile websites. I would recommend trying Opera Mini (if that hasn't already been attempted) and see if the freezing issues persist.

Also out of curiousity, what version of the BB O/4 is she running? You might want to try using 4.5.0.97 as this O/S is the most stable for the sprint branded blackberries. It has more RAM freed up and has the least memory leaks. At least in my testing experience.

12-19-08 12:55 AM
    That's sooo weird. Sorry I can't help you. I use the internet aallll day long and don't have any problems. Maybe you guys are just having bad luck. Hope the new curve that's coming works fine.

Thanks!! I will keep you updated....I'm hoping she just got a bad few phones and this will be the winner!
    12-19-08 01:12 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD