I got a pearl with verizon and just realized they charged me 44.99/month for internet.

I called and they said that I have to have a data plan with a blackberry, either 24.99 (limited data) or 44.99 (unlimited data).

I honestly want neither since I don't even use the internet or email on my phone. I just use the media player, that's it.

So is there anyway or any provider that allows just a simple phone service like 39.99/month--and doesn't force you to buy a data plan--- and also use the blackberry device?
    04-21-08 09:37 PM
    I think thats just a tactic they use to try and get you to keep it. You can have a BlackBerry without a BB data plan.
    04-21-08 09:45 PM
    You can have a blackberry without a plan and the voice and text messaging (and media player) will work fine. If you don't use internet, email, BBmessanger, or MMS then you don't really need a data plan
    04-21-08 09:48 PM
    I got a pearl with verizon and just realized they charged me 44.99/month for internet.

So is there anyway or any provider that allows just a simple phone service like 39.99/month--and doesn't force you to buy a data plan--- and also use the blackberry device?
    ***T-Mobile***
    04-21-08 09:59 PM
    I have Verizon and they do really push the data plan. This wasn't an issue for me since I am using my BB as a modem for my laptop to replace the aircard I cancelled. The unlimited plan plus the $15/mo to tether is still less than the aircard and is faster data transfer.
    04-21-08 10:05 PM
    Some carriers require you to have a data package. T-Mobile, definately does not have that requirement.
    04-21-08 10:07 PM
    I called and they said that I have to have a data plan with a blackberry, either 24.99 (limited data) or 44.99 (unlimited data).
    Unless you're using BES, you shouldn't be charged that much. A BIS unlimited data plan is only 29.99.
    04-21-08 10:08 PM
    i thought bb's fed on data. isn't that what keeps them alive.
    04-21-08 10:16 PM

I honestly want neither since I don't even use the internet or email on my phone. I just use the media player, that's it.

There are two BIS plans for VZW.
    1. Unlimited WEB and MAIL $29.99 or $24.99 (forget which one)
    2. BlackBerry Solution Unlimited Data $44.99

unless you want tethering, go for the first option.
    Last edited by Dinan3; 04-22-08 at 12:21 AM. Reason: wrong quote
    04-22-08 12:17 AM
    i thought bb's fed on data. isn't that what keeps them alive.
    it is what makes the BlackBerry a BlackBerry. To take full advantage of a BlackBerry, you need a BlackBerry data plan.
    04-22-08 12:20 AM
    it is what makes the BlackBerry a BlackBerry. To take full advantage of a BlackBerry, you need a BlackBerry data plan.
    i agree you shoudl just keep the data plan and use the bb to its full potential its worth it
    04-22-08 02:04 AM
    Wow, they sure charge you a lot at those other cell carriers.

Unlimited Internet access and Email for 19.99.

T-Mobile forever.
    04-22-08 05:04 AM
    Yeah, you can use your BB without a data plan, BUT whats the fun in doing that? Someone educate me
    04-22-08 06:51 AM
    Why spend all the money on a BB if you don't want to spend the money on the data package. The BB is all about the data. Just buy a regular phone and save money.
    04-22-08 07:10 AM
    Im sorry Im lost! why would someone want a BB with no data service. You miss a the fun, a lil advice just get a reagular phone..
    04-22-08 11:19 AM
    I am on AT&T and my daughter wanted a phone with a keyboard to text with, AT&T's choices are very limited in this area. I went and talked to Verizon but when i asked her why i should switch from AT&T she could only answer "Cause we are better" i asked her how are you better i get service everywhere i go with AT&T so what will you do for me that AT&T wont. Her reply was "We are just better". So i asked about the phones and she told me to get the Voyager or a Blackberry i HAD to buy a data plan. I left and went back to the AT&T store, explained that my daughter only texts, the lady said no problem. I do not have to buy the data plan. I ordered my daughter a refurb Curve for 70 dollars off the AT&T website. She is texting but has no data, in fact they even allowed me to block her data usage so she cannot go on the internet "by mistake".

Sorry this is so long and went off track but yes AT&T will do a blackberry with no data plan.
    Last edited by b1gg134; 04-22-08 at 11:33 AM.
    04-22-08 11:31 AM
    I would like to comment....A client of mine orginally bought a blackberry with the intent on accessing her email and web surfing. However, she no longer wants those options. She just wants to use it as a phone and organizer. I maybe crazy here, but I think she can sync her calendar and address book useing desktop manager. The real question is, will Verizon let her use her Blackberry as just a phone. Regardless of what they want the blackberry for, can it be voice only? Someone mentioned a pay per use data plan, but I don't think Verizon does that anymore.
    04-22-08 11:33 AM
    verizon absolutely does require a data plan for use with blackberry phones. My wife and I had blackberries on VZW for a long time, and then all of the sudden i saw they started charging us 45 each for the data plan. I called and they said that they have an agreement with BB that they would not sell blackberries without data plans. I sprung out the lawyer talk about how that was a material change of the contract, 5 mins later supervisor let me cancel the contract with no early termination fee and i switched to att (cheaper plans, wasn't willing to pay 50/month for data)
    04-22-08 12:21 PM
    hi im new to BB so please be gentle

Im confused to what the difference is between the BB plan and the data plan i had on my RAZR. I just bought a BB and am not sure..do I keep my existing data plan and still need a BB plan? I want to use it for web surfing/email and texting between people that dont have blackberries.
    04-22-08 03:04 PM
    bb plan and razr plan are pretty different. you only need one. the blackberry plan for att is 35/month. texting is additional as well
    04-22-08 03:11 PM
    thanks!
    04-22-08 03:12 PM

Your better off with T-Mobile, they offer a free blackberry add-on so that you can MMS and access T-Mobile through your browser if you dont want A data plan. And better yet T-Mobile offers a unlimited data plan and its only 20 bucks, you cant beat that.
    Last edited by Technofan7; 04-23-08 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added info
    04-23-08 05:49 PM
    Good Luck with your decision

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-08 06:05 PM
    T-mobile is not what it is cracked up to be. Try traveling with it and you will see. They have cheaper plans, but you get what you pay for. Some areas have alot of T-mobile towers and some don't. So if there is good coverage in your area go for it. If not your screwed. That's why when you get service at your house but not right down the street you'll see what i mean...
    04-23-08 06:32 PM
    I have not seen anyone on Verizon state that it's possible to exclude a BB plan.

I know on AT&T, it's not mandatory.
    04-23-08 07:16 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD