I currently have at&t (hate it) and want to switch to t-mobile, but im gonna buy the curve in the next day or so (taking advantage of a friends sweet discount), before i purchase it i need to know if i can unlock it for sure or if its not worth the hassle. I get conflicting info from everyone i speak to so can any blackberry geniuses help me out?
    Thanks
    07-15-07 02:20 PM
    99% of the GSM phones can be unlocked, but every now and then there is one that the unlocker will have trouble getting the code for. I'd say you're pretty safe if you want to switch. The only problem with using the Curve on T-Mobile is that you have to use it with the O2 operating system loaded i you want to have you browser on it. There is a sticky thread at the top of the 8300 forum with instructions.
    07-15-07 02:56 PM
    Hi, you can definately get the curve unlocked. I am using an unlocked BB curve and have no issues with the unlocking of it. Definately worth going for and you can get it done for $20 approx. Need any more info don't hesitate to contact me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-07 03:00 PM
    you can get it unlocked via your IMEI. PM me for details.
    07-16-07 12:20 AM
    Sounds like you're all set. Just to let you know, I know 4 additional people using unlocked Curves happily. No issues at all!
    07-16-07 12:22 AM
    I had a curve that could not unlocked. I had 2 IMEI unlocks left so I just sold it and bought another one NIB. I had a thread locked over this, but I think the IMEI was changed. I don't care if you say it can't be done. I've noticed in DFW LOTS of Curves for sale that are "new" but w/o box and only have a charger. None have stickers and these phones have been **** unlocking. I've not seen one unlocked yet.
    07-19-07 09:56 AM
    Oh the thread I had locked was at Howard Forums. not here.
    07-19-07 10:01 AM
    i have an att curve unlocked and i have it working on tmobile. runs beautifully
    07-19-07 01:23 PM
    i have an att curve unlocked and i have it working on tmobile. runs beautifully
    what version of the OS, and what browser are you using with tmobile?

I've got email and both browsers working with the O2 version of the curve OS, but I seem to have the "disappearing icons" problem with it. Suspect it's an OS version issue - but I'd be curious to hear about your experience.
    07-23-07 05:07 PM
    what version of the OS, and what browser are you using with tmobile?

I've got email and both browsers working with the O2 version of the curve OS, but I seem to have the "disappearing icons" problem with it. Suspect it's an OS version issue - but I'd be curious to hear about your experience.
    Seems to have fixed my own problem:

Did a device wipe, reinstalled the O2 OS, re-registered, re-sent service books, and all works fine now. No disappearing icons, service with tmobile seems fine. The only limitation I'm seeing is that the t-zones home page doesn't want to recognize this device (all other wap sites and html sites are fine). But I've been using unlocked phone that tmobile doesn't officially support for years, and almost *never* got into t-zones as a result... a standard tmobile practice to block non-approved devices at t-zones...
    07-24-07 07:36 AM
    OK... after all I had posted earlier, I found a solution that gives me "everything". As noted in earlier posts:
    - I have an unlocked Curve, and I have T-Mobile with BIS
    - wiped the Curve, installed the O2 OS
    - did all the recommended steps to get T-Mobile service books
    - all was working - except for T-Zones home page (as noted in last post)

I accepted that at first, since T-Mobile / T-Zones has been finicky about non-supported phones for years now. No big deal: other WAP sites and HTML sites all worked.

But... I got curious and dug deeper:

I found that, for whatever reason, having done all the above, under TCP options, the phone STILL had its APN point to cingular!!!

I switched the APN to wap.voicestream.com, with blanks for username and pswd. Re-registered and re-sent service books. No change. Briefly thought about a battery pull, or even dropping all service books and resending, but didn't have time at that point in the day. So for the moment - no behavior had changed: T-Zones still didn't like my device.

Anyway - about 4 hours later, I tried T-Zones again, and it WORKED - perfectly. The T-Zones home page is fine now, and I can navigate the whole site. All other WAP sites and "normal" HTML sites work fine as well. Both browsers / icons (one set for Internet and one for "T-Zones" / WAP) work perfectly.

Seems that, whatever T-Mobile's official line may be, the device works fine with them, as long as you have the right OS installed.

07-24-07 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD