BB Curve 8330 OS 4.5 Verizon

Hi everyone - I have been trying to figure out an issue I am having with you tube videos for mobile. I haven't been watching the videos on my phone for very long, so I am still learning.

I recently downloaded a desktop app. launcher for M.youtube.com

The problem is that maybe 50% of the time I try to download a video to my phone, I get a message that says "ERROR PLAYING"...."The media being played is of an unsupported format"

I get this message whether I use my desktop icon to get to the site, or whether I use my browser to get there.

From what I can tell, the error doesn't seem to be related to the size of the video. Sometimes I can watch long music videos just fine...other times I get this download error even on shorted videos like 1:31 minutes long.

Also, I was watching videos the other day and in the middle of the video, it just stopped and the red light on my BB came on and basically locked up my phone until I turned it off and then on again.

I have pulled the battery 2-3 times and that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Is this a common thing with mobile you tube... ie) some videos will play and others won't? Could it be related to the strength of my signal ( I have 3 bars) ?

Also, the video size is pretty small... just a box in the middle of my screen...about 1 inch by 1 inch all the way around. Is this the typical size?

Can someone help me troubleshoot this ?

thanks,

Jason.
    01-10-09 10:40 AM
    I get the same message with this app. It's not your phone.
    I'm using an 8330 Sprint, OS 4.2.
    Any suggestions out there?
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 12:07 PM
    I get the same message with this app. It's not your phone.
    I'm using an 8330 Sprint, OS 4.2.
    Any suggestions out there?
    Thanks!

I searched many of the prior threads and I can't seem to find any definitive answer to this issue of being able to play youtube videos consistently. Some of the youtube videos play and others don't.

I have seen people mention that upgrading your OS to 4.5 may help.
    01-10-09 12:21 PM
    I'll try that and post if it makes a difference.
    Thanks!

01-10-09 12:26 PM
    I have the same problem. It is actually starting to happen more frequently.
    I run OS 4.5, I constantly clear my history, cache and cookies, I shut off my audio boost, shut off fullscreen and turn off the equalizer. Nothing seems to help. It is quite annoying.
    If anyone has any idea of what to do to remedy this problem, I would love to know.
    02-26-09 03:08 AM
    Weird that this is the first time I have visited this site yet I click on here and have an answer. If you are a sprint user then you need to update your phone as I had this problem. I wanted to post the direct link but I have to make at least 10 posts before I can post post a url.

I haven't done the update yet, I got sillier things to figure out first. LOL I feel so ******** with my new phone......
    02-26-09 10:33 PM
    I feel so ********
    Quoted for emphasis! Ha!
    02-27-09 03:02 AM
    If you are a sprint user then you need to update your phone as I had this problem.
    Yeah that's not the issue becuase I'm running sprints update and it is still giving me the same thing.

02-28-09 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD