I have an 8310 Blackberry with the original OS and desktop software. I have been tryig to work up the courage to downlaod a new update for both desktop and handheld software. I finally found my way to the correct AT&T downloads for both, however I was shocked to see that simply downloading the dektop software would take over 11 hours!! Unfoutunatly, I have dial-up internet access and there is no way I can keep everyone off the phone for that long. My question is this: If I were to download the updates from a friends computer(that has a faster cable connection), could I save those updates to a CD, bring it back to my computer, and then download them to my computer?(thus forgoing the neeed to download from the internet) Thanks for the help!
    07-15-09 09:38 AM
    In theory you should be able to download the OS [which will be an .exe file] as well as the Desktop Manager file and burn those to a CD. Then when you get home, just copy them to the desktop and install from there. I do not think there should be a problem!
    07-15-09 09:58 AM
    Yes you can. When you click on the filename you are going to save, make sure you save it to the burner drive and once you have them both downloaded, click burn these files to cd ( well I'm assuming you're using a windows based machine). But yes, however u get them saved to cd it will work. The above poster is correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 10:02 AM
    They're files like anything else, so you can burn them to a CD, copy them to a flash drive, or to the media card in your BB. I actually keep copies of the OS and DM on my media card if I'm going to be away from my computer for awhile. If my BB dies, I can copy the files off the memory card and install them on a computer to reload the OS.
    07-15-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD