Hi, Noob here. I bought what was billed as a "new" Curve 8330 for Alltel on Ebay. Phone and text work fine, but I had no data. No email, no browser, no Globe icon. Alltel couldn't figure out what was wrong. While trying to fix it, I discivered that under "Manage Connections" the data service network is Verizon!

The seller has offered to replace it, but I have since found it that the seller is extremely shady (despite excellent feedback). I am wondering if there is a way to fix the hack (or maybe it is just an Alltel cover on a Verizon phone) without risking another damaged phone from the seller.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    05-14-09 09:32 PM
    CDMA phone right?? It only works with the provider that produced it. I would return to seller for the Alltel phone. You have time with ebay to return the phone. How do you know the guy is shady but has excellant feedback??
    05-14-09 09:35 PM
    U could always contact ebay about it and try to screw their excellent feedback. There always a way to fix problems like this. Talk to the right ppl and it will get worked out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 02:37 AM
    Check out this thread. A lot of advice for dealing with eBay sellers when things don't go right:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-v...e-ebay-228021/

Especially about using PayPal's dispute and claims process.

05-15-09 03:02 AM
    Verizon bought out Alltel. Your connection is with Verizon and bill with Alltel. My roommate has Alltel and his service is a lot better since the buy out.

05-15-09 06:07 AM
    Verizon bought out Alltel. Your connection is with Verizon and bill with Alltel. My roommate has Alltel and his service is a lot better since the buy out.

Depends on location. Not all areas (mine included) have VZW connection yet. Since the buyout, my service is still the same except for roaming. New PRL sucks. OP could probably switch to VZW contract and activate phone. Also, there is a thread in the Alltel forum about activating VZW phone on Alltel network.

05-15-09 07:49 AM
    I stand corrected guys...
    05-15-09 08:16 AM
    CDMA phone right?? It only works with the provider that produced it. I would return to seller for the Alltel phone. You have time with ebay to return the phone. How do you know the guy is shady but has excellant feedback??
    Yes it's a CDMA. Regarding the Seller, when I realized it was not an Alltel phone, I Googled the Seller, and came back with a bunch of complaints on sites like Ripoff Report.com. I have been extra polite with them, and they seem to be williing to hellp, but I fear I will get another rebuilt or hacked phone. The Seller has high feedback rating probably becuse it has an offer to extend the warranty from 14 days to 3 months if you give it a 5 star rating within 5 days. Wonder if that's a violation of e-Bay policy?
    05-15-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD