There is no way to fix this, I had the same problem after having the phone for a week, did EVERYTHING possible! it seems to be a hardware issue, get a replacement
    06-27-08 11:51 PM
    I hate to revive this thread and I feel your pain damann. I'm having the same problem. My Curve 8330 is six days old, bought it brand new from Verizon. Memory is good, 2GB card in and 38519530 file free. Did a battery R&R which did nothing.

Only thing I can think of is I plugged it into a computer to charge it, and the XP OS tried opening up all kinds of crap on the desktop. Could this have something to do with it? I had never connected it to a computer before and only did so b/c I didn't have my AC charger on hand and a co-worker of mine had her USB cable at the office.

Any thoughts? I differ from damann in that I enjoy using the camera on my BB and would miss it...
    It's definitely a hardware issue. I took my Curve to an At&t store a few weeks back, and they had never even seen the problem. Professionals, indeed. Anyways, they referred me to a "Device Support Center" on the other side of town (I live in Houston, TX area) but I've been too busy to get over there. Apparently they will either fix the device on site or get a replacement. Trying to make it a priority this week, so I will let you know how it goes.
    06-29-08 03:47 AM
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have resolved my issue.

Took my 8330 back to a Verizon store (a different one than the one I bought it at--a different state even--I travel a lot). The rep. said that if he couldn't fix the problem he'd swap it out for me. He spent 20 minutes searching Verizon's troubleshooting database and couldn't find a single way to fix it that I hadn't already tried. He brought out a new phone and transferred my data from one to the other. Once I was set, he told me he wanted to completely reset the old BB to see if the camera would work. Took five minutes to reset and the same error message as before appeared. Turns out the phone was defective from the very beginning.

Better news? I got a second $70 rebate.
    06-29-08 02:57 PM
    BEHOLD!!! AFTER 8 MONTHS OF SHEER FRUSTRATION FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO USE MY CAMERA/VIDEO CAMERA ON MY 8320 (AFTER IT RANDOMLY STOPPED WORKING ONE SUNNY DAY A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT IT!! ), DESPITE FOLLOWING EACH AND EVERY SUGGESTION FROM THE WORLD WIDE WEB, I HAVE FINALLY DISCOVERED A CURE FROM THE DREADED "CAMERA ERROR" (AND HAAH!!..IT DOESNOT INVOLVE ANY RAMBLING OF MYSTICAL MANTRAS OR SACRIFICES TO THE BB GODS!! )

SO IF U SHARE THE COMMON MISFORTUNE OF RUNNING INTO THIS NASTY ERROR AND NONE OF THE STUFF YOUVE READ ON ANY OF THE OTHER SITES HAVE HELPED AND YOU ARE EAGER AND DESPERATE TO FIND A FIX THEN FOLLOW THE LAST RESORT METHOD BELOW (FOR A NON-TECHIE) TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT THE CAMERA (LENS, MOUNT AND/OR ATTACHED IC) IS BUSTED OR MERELY HAS DUST OR SOME UNIDENTIFIED GUNK BETWEEN ONE OF THE NUMEROUS CONTACTS INBETWEEN THE LENS AND ITS MOUNT CAUSING THE ERROR...

FIRST OF..FOLLOW THE GREAT VIDEO-AID TO DISASSEMBLE UR CAM-ENABLED BB (REMEMBERING FIRST TO BACKUP ALL THE STUFF ON UR PHONE, WASH UR HANDS, KEEPING UR DOG AT BAY, BRUSH UR TEETH, ETC. ETC. ) P.S. MAD PROPS TO MOBILEMAN FOR UPLOADING THIS VID..

[GO TO dubdubdub dot passionemobile dot com and search for the following vid --> Blackberry Curve 8300 disassembly ]

AFTER YOU GET THE BACK OFF THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) EXPOSING THE CAMERA (AND OTHER GUTS OF THIS BB WONDER-DEVICE), ALWAYS MAKING SURE YOU ONLY HANDLE THE PCB FROM ITS EDGES TO REDUCE CHANCES OF ESD DAMAGE, GRIP THE LENS (AROUND THE PLASTICY BIT OF THE CAMERA - TRY NOT TO TOUCH THE ACTUAL GLASSY LENS BIT) BETWEEN YOUR THUMB AND INDEX FINGER AND GENTLY PUSH DOWN ON IT ROCKING BACK AND FORTH TO ENSURE GOOD CONTACT BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM (HIDDEN) CONTACTS - YOU SHOULD NOTICE THAT IT HAS A SPRINGY FEEL TO IT! ALSO TAKE A MOMENT TO VISUALLY INSPECT AROUND THE CAMERA AREA FOR ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO EITHER THE CAMERA OR ANY COMPONENTS IN THE VICINITY!

PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND JUICE UP UR BB!! IF UR CAMERA AND VIDCAM SPRINGS TO LIFE AGAIN, MY CONGRATULATIONS ON FIXING THIS NASTY ERROR URSELF WITHOUT SPENDING 100S OF $$ ** , IF IT DOESNT, CONGRATULATIONS FOR TRYING BUT UNFORTUNATELY, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SHELL OUT SOME $$ TO GET A FIX

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT YET MANAGED TO RID YOUR BB's OFF THIS NASTY ERROR!..CHEERS AND GOD BLESS!

P.S. THANX TO ALL WHO HAVE POSTED ON THIS SUBJECT, ITS YOUR MOTIVATION THAT KEPT ME EAGER TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS (AND NOT JUST TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND GRAB A NEW SYSTEM)..CHEERS!!!
    07-15-08 11:46 AM
    The device support center gave me a replacement. They told me the device was defective and that it just couldn't be fixed. Luckily, I was still under warranty.
    07-17-08 10:53 PM
    The fix was pretty easy.

I sold my barely used Blackberry Curve 8310 on eBay only to find once she received the phone the camera no longer worked. After searching and searching to find a fix and upgrading the OS, pulling the battery I found a forum that simply stated to push in on the camera itself. I did that, and VOILA!!! FIXED.

I registered for this site just to let others know you don't have to go through all of the headache and trials of software upgrades and installs.
    11-29-08 11:08 PM
    I ripped the phone apart grabbed a broken pearl and ripped the camera out of it and replaced it. Worked instantly
    12-13-08 08:16 PM
    Before taking apart your phone, or trading it in, please try the instructions here:

forums.crackberry.com/f52/could-not-start-camera-bb-curve-8320-a-41724/#post528242

Don't know why, but they worked for me!
    12-19-08 05:44 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD