Hi, I just traded my phone for a curve 8320 and it keeps saying, "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."
    Anyone know whats wrong with it. I can't find any other running apps. Tried pulling the battery, cleaning the card areas.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    03-16-08 08:05 PM
    Is this a new, refurbished, or secondhand phone?
    03-16-08 08:14 PM
    Second hand for sure
    Dont know if its refurbished.
    I don't think you can even get them here in canada yet. I live in Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario
    And Reasearch in Motion is right here in town so it may have been an employees or returned... I don't know
    Everything works good except the camera
    03-16-08 08:44 PM
    Okay, let's try some basic troubleshooting one last time since it's easy to do. Also, are you a BES user?

Try taking out the battery, and the sim card this time. If that doesn't work, you may need to reload the OS.
    03-16-08 09:00 PM
    "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."...

The good news is, the Java engine is working just fine.

That message implies memory issues. Camera may need a minimum amount of memory before it can start.

Lets start with Options > Status. How much File Free do you have?
    03-16-08 09:05 PM
    24067200 bytes
    0.9 gb left on my 2 gb micro card
    03-16-08 09:10 PM
    I can get into the camera options if I press the bb button as soon as it comes on.I,ve tried changing all the options including saving pics to the sd card. As soon as I exit the menu, a second later the error message comes up
    03-16-08 09:15 PM
    Try this. Take out the battery, and the microsd card. Put the battery back in. Does it work? If it does, put the microsd card back in. If it doesn't work after putting the microsd card back in, then the problem is your card.
    03-16-08 09:22 PM
    Not the card, I get the same message with the card out
    03-16-08 09:29 PM
    Clearly, memory is not the issue. I suspect our friend sunkast hit on the problem when he enquired about the origin of the device.

If that device was part of a BES network, the odds are good the Camera has been disabled as a matter of policy.

The best FAQ is still down, but there are ways ...
    Last edited by Stoner; 03-16-08 at 09:42 PM.
    03-16-08 09:34 PM
    What is BES and can I reverse it. Will updating the os fix it as I noticed mine is a little outdated
    03-16-08 09:41 PM
    If that device was ever part of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the ADMIN could choose to disable any features desired.

Plenty of memory, everything else works except the Camera. Mine works just fine.

do the math.
    03-16-08 09:46 PM
    Definitely try updating the OS on it.
    03-16-08 09:51 PM
    Just doing somemore reading and found a post on BES
    When I checked my security settings it says my IT Policy Name is HQ WLAN Device Settings. Updated Mar 22, 2007 6:38 AM
    Does that have anything to do with it?
    03-16-08 09:55 PM
    It very well could. There is a thread in the tips and how to forum on removing IT policies.
    03-16-08 09:57 PM
    Gonna try it now, I'll get back to you and thanks for the info so far
    03-16-08 10:05 PM
    Ok, got rid of the IT Policy and it opened up a few things like passwords and unlocking features but I still get the error message when I start the camera.
    I'll try updating the os tomorrow and see if that helps
    Thanks
    03-16-08 11:10 PM
    Put the new os on and the same thing. I opened every app, and closed it with the menu and still it says close all applications and restart camera
    I give up
    03-17-08 12:35 AM
    Did you wipe the phone before putting the new OS on?
    03-17-08 12:54 AM
    Yes,
    I read another post that said to install the older desktop manager and original os. Anyone know which os came with the curve 8320 originally
    03-17-08 09:18 AM
    v4.2.2.180 is the current version for T-Mobile supplied 8320.

Version ...184 is available from other carriers.

No IT policy and still no camera?
    03-17-08 10:42 AM
    Thats right. It helped with a few other issues I had like putting in a password everytime i used the phone, which couldn't be changed before.
    I'll try the older version later today
    03-17-08 10:59 AM
    I'm convinced there is something wrong with the camera.
    Used an older version of dm and reloaded the older curve os and I still get the same crap.
    Now I finally give up. I never used the camera feature on my last phone so its not that big of a deal for me. It would still be nice to have. Maybe the new os coming out will help. I'll just have to wait
    03-17-08 12:22 PM
    Ok I just downloaded 4.3.1 and love the features. All the new stuff works except the stupid camera, still getting the error message with the camera and the video camera starts and then just exits on its own a few seconds later.
    This is driving me crazy. I exited all applications except 4...phone, messages, homescreen, and browser. I close them and it still won't work. I erased everything I don't normally use, bbm, tasks, and a few other apps and all games. It still says close other applications and restart camera. Anybody ever fix this?
    03-17-08 10:58 PM
    I hate to revive this thread and I feel your pain damann. I'm having the same problem. My Curve 8330 is six days old, bought it brand new from Verizon. Memory is good, 2GB card in and 38519530 file free. Did a battery R&R which did nothing.

Only thing I can think of is I plugged it into a computer to charge it, and the XP OS tried opening up all kinds of crap on the desktop. Could this have something to do with it? I had never connected it to a computer before and only did so b/c I didn't have my AC charger on hand and a co-worker of mine had her USB cable at the office.

Any thoughts? I differ from damann in that I enjoy using the camera on my BB and would miss it...
    06-27-08 11:15 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD