Dear fellow Cracksters,

I need advice, suggestions, ideas etc; While at work today I was reaching for some paperwork, which were on an overhead bin, an unbeknownst to me there was a CD on the paperwork. The CD fell at an angle that landed on my BB and cracked the faceplate (think of a spidered windshield). Needless to say I'm not happy.

What I was hoping was someone out there in Crackberry land could help me figure out what I should do. Can the face plate be repaired? do I go to my local AT&T store and deal with them? If it can't be repaired what should I do?

Thanks in advance,

V
    04-29-08 10:45 AM
    Assuming you are referring to the actual LCD when you say faceplate - then yes it can be replaced if you are at all handy. Check out BlackBerry 8300/8310/8320 Curve OEM LCD screen and see what you think.
    04-29-08 10:47 AM
    You can buy the replacement parts and do the repair yourself or even look into having someone else do it for you...your warranty is already toasted anyways, but AT&T will not cover that under warranty that's for sure, you can grab the parts in numerous places but I typically prefer Cellular Accessories - Apple, Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry, Dopod/O2, Samsung, BenQ-Siemens, 3G, LG, To .

Edit: Uhhh, great minds think alike azeis? lol!
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 04-29-08 at 10:52 AM.
    04-29-08 10:49 AM
    Assuming you are referring to the actual LCD when you say faceplate - then yes it can be replaced if you are at all handy. Check out BlackBerry 8300/8310/8320 Curve OEM LCD screen and see what you think.
    Azeis,

I'm assuming it is the LCD, when you say handy what would it entail?

Thanks,

V
    04-29-08 10:52 AM
    The good news is, you have only damaged the lens covering the LCD is your device is still working under the crack.

I found several sources of service and parts with Google, a lens replacement is typically $60 plus shipping with a 24 hour turn around.
    04-29-08 10:53 AM
    http://www.youtube.com/v/iiIl19G74C0

That video will help you.
    04-29-08 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the links, now I just need to figure out how to take it apart and replace once I get the replacement part. What kind of tools would I need?
    04-29-08 10:55 AM
    $60 for a lens replacement...you gotta be kidding me, it's just 2 sticky tabs in the corner really...maybe $60 for a full LCD replacement but surely not a lens replacement.

As for tools you'll need a plastic phone tool that can be found on the site we linked to and a T5 Screwdriver possibly a T6 as well,also found on the site we linked too.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 04-29-08 at 11:02 AM.
    04-29-08 10:56 AM
    If you watch the video link posted by Bla1ze, it shows exactly what you have to do. You should stop just before the part where you remove the two side panels aat 1:45 into the video because I think that the LCD lens will lift right off.

The only fiddly bit is prizing off the bottom cover shown at 29 to 40 secs into the video.

All you need is the right Torx driver and you can see two of them near the top of the phone once the battery cover is removed. Go get one of them before you start.

If you look on 8310 - SonyEricsson, Accessories Store, LG, 3G, Sony, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, Dopod/O2, as posted earlier you can find a new lens for $6.99.

This should be fairly easy to do. Just go slowly and carefully. Use a digital camera to record eachh step. Take loads of photos before, during and after each step. I do this when I dismantle customer laptop PCs.

Lastly, If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
    04-29-08 12:06 PM
    If you watch the video link posted by Bla1ze, it shows exactly what you have to do. You should stop just before the part where you remove the two side panels aat 1:45 into the video because I think that the LCD lens will lift right off.

The only fiddly bit is prizing off the bottom cover shown at 29 to 40 secs into the video.

All you need is the right Torx driver and you can see two of them near the top of the phone once the battery cover is removed. Go get one of them before you start.

If you look on 8310 - SonyEricsson, Accessories Store, LG, 3G, Sony, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, Dopod/O2, as posted earlier you can find a new lens for $6.99.

This should be fairly easy to do. Just go slowly and carefully. Use a digital camera to record eachh step. Take loads of photos before, during and after each step. I do this when I dismantle customer laptop PCs.

Lastly, If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
    Pete, with your permission I am stealing that for my sig
    04-29-08 12:28 PM
    Wow!!!, Thanks to everyone who replied with their suggestions, tip's, links etc; somehow I do own a Torx screwdriver set and based on the youtube video this is something I can do on my on. I'm almost positive it's just the lens. I knew I could turn to this forum and get the answers I needed and not only that but in a very timely fashion.

V
    04-29-08 12:29 PM
    Pete, with your permission I am stealing that for my sig
    Please do, I stole it from someone else. Homer Simpson I think.
    04-29-08 01:14 PM
    Wow!!!, Thanks to everyone who replied with their suggestions, tip's, links etc; somehow I do own a Torx screwdriver set and based on the youtube video this is something I can do on my on. I'm almost positive it's just the lens. I knew I could turn to this forum and get the answers I needed and not only that but in a very timely fashion.

V
    I DID IT!!!!,

following the advice posted in this thread I purchased for $6.99 a lens replacement (it wasn't the LCD) on Ebay. I received it this morning and following the instructions on the video I was able to fix my BB in about 20 minutes. It looks like new. Yeehaw!!

Have a great weekend,

Virgil
    05-03-08 12:57 PM
    Yeehaw!!

Good deal on the replacement lens.
    05-03-08 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD