apthomas,
    I would suggest going back to at&t and swap it out... You didnt have the same problem before with a the treo which was on at&t, then you shouldnt have the problem now... Call quality is excellent on these... Might just have got a bad one... If they won't let you just swap it out, private message me and i will let you know of some things to say that will ensure you have a different device to try....
    06-19-07 08:51 PM
    I also live in the DC / Baltimore(Odenton, MD 21113) area and can't say much for the voice quality.. More often than not the calls are muffled and/or drop.. I have taken the phone in for a new sim card and even a new device. I am not sure if its the area I am or I have yet another bad device.

I have been using the phone for about 3 weeks since coming over from Verizon. I know I shouldn't compare the two providers but I can't remember the last time I had a muffled or dropped call from Verizon. I don't however want to go back because they cripple all their phones but I need something I can at least talk on. E-mail, text and web are all great any place I go..

Anyone have any ideas? I love the curve but maybe I should get a pearl?

Hi there... noticed your post, and also noticed that we are neighbors... I, too, live in Odenton, MD 21113, and have posted several posts here about the call quality on my Blackberry Curve that we just bought about 2 weeks ago. We had a Treo 750 from Cingular / AT&T that we got EXCELLENT call quality on in this area, but then we switched to this phone and have gotten crackling phone calls in our townhome. If we are out and about, the calls are okay though.

I will tell you, we are military, and when we first moved here, we switched from Verizon to AT&T because our call quality was horrendous from Verizon and they weren't willing to do anything about it. AT&T / Cingular has at least been very helpful. The gentlemen (Chris & the manager) at the store at Waugh Chapel) have been great at solving problems that we have had. The store here at Piney Orchard has been virtually useless.

I'm still not sure what I should do about the call quality of the blackberry, cause I DO absolutely love this device, and we do still have the TREOs, so....

Good luck, and let me know what you decide to do....
    06-19-07 08:52 PM
    I love it too.. I have got two replacements and I am still testing this last one for call quality.. The data is great but sometimes the voice is just off. Sucks the the main use for a phone is to talk. lol I am going to keep playing with it to see if its something I can deal with or has been resolved by a new phone.
    06-20-07 06:53 AM
    I've got the 8320 t-mobile. I love it. I have great reception everywhere. (switched from att, bad reception everywhere) but the ear speaker quality is awful, voices are very shrill, just ear splitting. even when I turn down the volume. anyone else with this experience? Suggestions?
    01-11-08 08:42 PM
    i have about 5 8320s that i rotate through. And i have not had this problem at all. You might have a bad device speaker.
    01-11-08 08:45 PM
    I have 8320 (Tmobile service) with good signal in MN. I too notice a crackly sound quality when I am on the phone (this is my second 8320 and both were the same). However the people on the other end say that I sound crystal clear. It's not that bothersome - and I LOVE this phone- so I am OK with living with it how it is. Doesn't seem to matter if Wi-Fi turned on or not.
    01-12-08 12:32 AM
    I was impressed by the call-quality on my previous BB 8300...and have been equally happy with the call-quality of my new 8310. I am using AT&T, and although I still feel that GSM service is way below par in this country compared to anywhere else in the world...it's not bad. Reception and signal-capture is probably better on my Curve than any other smartphone (even Nokia) that I have ever used...and even with my distinct hearing-loss, incoming callers are easy to hear on my 8310 (although call-volume is a little lower than it was on my 8300).

I will say, that the incoming call clarity is not on par with that of Nokia, and even the new Motorola phones with "CrystalTalk" technology...but I still have no real issue with it, and callers tell me that I sound very life-like and they can't tell I'm on a mobile phone.
    01-12-08 07:37 AM
    Well I switched to my curve towards the end of September after upgrading from a Samsung A707 Sync *cingular branded I bought off of ebay* and I went to a Nokia N75 *great phone, just the one I had electrical problems and shut off*, and 2x Razr2 with Crystal Talk and then my current BB 8300 Curve.. Out of the 4 phones, the Curve has the best reception and sounds great, which was on par with the Nokia. The Razr2 *2 of them I went through* all made my voice sound like a robot and both would drop calls to no end even in full service areas. Now the N75 had great service but nothing compared to my curve and places the razr2 and the n75 would drop, my curve holds the call and it sounds great via handset, speaker and my blueant z9... Motorola's Crystal talk is just hype in my opinion. Nokia makes a great phone, however, I am sticking with RIM because the curve has even better reception and call quality is dead equal to Nokia and better then Motorola. Samsung is pretty great for call quality equal to both Nokia and RIM, however, where they are real weak is their reception in my experience..

Charlie
    01-12-08 03:24 PM
    I noticed today that the crackling noise seems to be worse if the wifi is active (I don't have at home service so not actually calling out via wifi). Anyone else notice this or have ideas other than turning off wifi radio each time I want to make a call from home/work?
    01-12-08 06:05 PM
    My 8310 curve that I had just bought kept having crackling sounds when someone was talking and annoying background noise..so I went to ATT and they gave me a new one BUT I'm still having the same problems! Any suggestions? By the way I have ALL bars when this is happening.
    02-21-08 04:32 PM
    I have had at least 1 or 2 Curves with lousy call quality from ATT. Search the forum threads for more details.
    After getting a replacement device from ATT, the sound went from unintelligible to crystal clear.

Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 06:53 AM
    The call quality on my 8320 is excellent. So excellent infact that i use the speaker phone for round table conference calls and no one finds it difficult to hear. That little device sitting in the middle of the table was a bit hit with everyone.lol
    02-22-08 07:00 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD