I am just about to get a blackberry and had a question. Everyone complains about the 64mb internal memory and logs, mails, sms being deleted. How much can it keep before starting to be erased? Also couldn't you just set it so that the sms, logs, mails go to my expanded memory card?
    05-26-08 12:58 AM
    It depends on what you load on your BB and no you can't set it so your messages and call logs go to your memory card.

You can easily increase you memory by getting rid a lot of useless things on your BB.
    05-26-08 01:02 AM
    You don't want the free memory to get below 10MB. When you get your BB you will want to read and do this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    05-26-08 01:06 AM
    well, i've never had it happen to me. But then again, why can't RIM just change the OS to allow programs and other data to be stored on the memory card?
    05-26-08 01:25 AM
    It seems to vary from user to user, but as long as you never let it drop below 10-12mb, you should be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 01:35 AM
    Get a memory card for all your ring tones and pictures. Under the media menu go to options and set the reserved picture memory to zero and device memory limit to the lowest which I believe is 12mb.

As long as you're not loading up on 3rd party apps you should be able to keep your available memory between 10-12mb which is where it should be to prevent erasing of messages and call logs to free up memory.
    05-26-08 01:43 AM
    How does one go about checking available memory??
    05-26-08 03:56 AM
    well, i've never had it happen to me. But then again, why can't RIM just change the OS to allow programs and other data to be stored on the memory card?
    Prior to the Pearl and Curve, no BlackBerrys were equipped with a media card, because nobody ever needed one. The Media player has changed that, but all the original code was written to function is just device memory.

How does one go about checking available memory??
    On your BlackBerry, Options / Status.

Your File Free memory is the third line down.
    05-26-08 09:35 AM
    I haven't had issues with deleted emails and what not. Your biggest problem with memory would be your media. Those are, for the most part the largest files. If those are on a media card you should be set I have a bunch of apps installed and mine stays at a constatn 15mb which is good for a BB.

If you go to options>status>menu>click on database sizes. This will tell you how much memory is being used in different categories. That way you can see where your memory is going.

Also if you use your browser a lot you should clean out your cache. go to browser>menu>options>chache operations> and then hit clear on all of them.
    05-26-08 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD