So I want to buy a Curve for my Birthday in a couple of days. It is easier to buy one that is used off of Craigslist than to buy a new one in Verizon since I am not eligible for an upgrade. Is this a good or bad idea? He is selling it to me for 150 and it looks brand new. If i were to go into Verizon it would cost me 430. Do you see me running into any potential problems? Please be honest. I have never had a Blackberry before and I need all the advice possible. Also, he does not have the CD's for it. Can I download that software somewhere online? Any advice helps. Thanks!!!
    05-20-09 08:52 PM
    If you do choose the Criagslist route, I'd take a look at this first:

If you want to buy online from a private seller, eBay or Craig's List, keep the following in mind and do this before you make any kind of a bid or an offer:
    Ask the seller:-If new and in a sealed box?
    -For photo evidence.
    -If new, is the device locked to a carrier and if so which one?
    -For the IMEI number. If provided, call the carrier to make sure the device has not been reported stolen. If the seller won't provide, think long and hard.
    -Also ask the carrier if the device has been released?

If the device is used, in addition to the above ask:-What is the guarantee it will work when it arrives?
    -Is there an IT Policy installed? This can make full usage difficult.
    -Has there been any water damage (internal water sensor stickers intact)?
    -Are the pictures in the ad the actual device or a "sample"? Satisfy yourself you know what you are getting.

Is It Really Unlocked:If you are told a used BB is unlocked, ask the seller to take a photograph of the following screen, which should prove what they are saying. Note that you should also do this when the device is received to make sure it is unlocked:
    1) On the BlackBerry device:
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card.
    2) In that screen type MEPD on the keyboard.
    3) A new menu will pop up.
    4) Look for Network.
    5) If your device is really unlocked, you should see Disabled or Inactive.
    6) If Active is displayed next to Network, it is still locked to a carrier.

Note that CDMA devices cannot be unlocked. The above applies to GSM devices and hybrids such as the Storm (and possibly the 8830 World Edition), which include SIM slots and work on both CDMA and GSM. AT&T and Verizon devices that are unlocked will not receive a 3G signal outside their networks.
    If you use this guide above and the phone checks out okay, you shouldn't run into any major problems.

Also, any software you may need is available from BlackBerry's site.
    05-20-09 08:54 PM
    Thanks for the help! I greatly appreciate it.
    05-20-09 09:02 PM
    You can get it but if u want to receive email tell him to first delete his blackberry account
    05-20-09 09:02 PM
    I bought my used curve on ebay about five months ago. No problem. It came with original ATT box and purchase ticket. Seller had 100% feedback and he posted good pictures of the curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 09:11 PM
    Do not buy a BlackBerry from Craigslist, do a search here and you can see all the sad stories from the majority of people who have. The phones are either stolen or have a locked ESN from what I've seen. I'm sure there is plenty of others who can vouch for that...
    05-20-09 09:15 PM
    Meet at a verizon store and have the phone verified in the store as being one that you are able to move to your account. Have verizon begin this process in the store, in case any ownership questions come up from the original owner.
    If he owes money on his account or it's stolen, he won't meet you.

05-20-09 09:16 PM
    Meet at a verizon store and have the phone verified in the store as being one that you are able to move to your account. Have verizon begin this process in the store, in case any ownership questions come up from the original owner.
    If he owes money on his account or it's stolen, he won't meet you.
    Correct, there is ways to verify if it's a stolen device. Unfortunately the majority don't look into it...
    05-20-09 09:18 PM
    Thank you everyone who has responded. I asked him why he was selling it and he said that he moved over to cricket and had his other phone flashed over instead of the bb. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    05-20-09 09:18 PM
    I say don't do it, but's that's only my opinion...
    05-20-09 09:20 PM
    I have used ebay and they protect the buyer...not sure about craigs list but you can probably find out on their site. Does he have a return policy or gtd.
    05-20-09 09:21 PM
    I just bought my curve from a guy on craigslist and I also got my pearl...met them and got to inspect the phones on the spot...no problems.(just my testimonials) But I would also listen to the suggestions made by the other members because one time this kid tried to sell me a dead SideKick...not everyone on the site is honest, I just happened to run into more good then bad.
    05-20-09 09:46 PM
    I think that was a great checklist/guide that was given. It definitely covers all the main points.

I'm not at all familiar with Craigs List but I really wouldn't buy something like that from a source that doesn't offer buyer protection like ebay does. I recently bought a new Curve on ebay and it turned out to not be at all as described. Fortunately the seller was great about the whole thing and refunded me but it was nice to know I had PayPal's backing if the seller gave me problems.

Basically, you can run into all sorts of unexpected problems when buying from a source other than a store.

I wish you the best of luck if you go for it though!
    05-20-09 09:54 PM
    Great advice everyone! I have applied all this advice into the convo I am having right now. I just told him to meet me at the verizon store tomorrow. Let us see what he says. More advice is always welcomed!
    05-20-09 10:02 PM
    The first thing you should do is ask for the ESN # and call your provider to make sure it is clear and can be activated.
    05-20-09 10:06 PM
    what is an ESN #?
    05-20-09 10:06 PM
    I have scheduled to meet him at the Verizon store tomorrow and not to pay him until everything is switched over into my name. Any suggestions or comments on this?
    05-20-09 10:31 PM
    Each phone has its own number that must not be reported stolen or under contract to activate. If the phone looks good and it works great. They might even check it out for you. I ran a text message through mine trying every key to be sure they all worked. Check the mic and speaker by using voice recorder.

I don't know about verizon just sprint but if you call them they activate the phone free stores charge an activation fee but can probably transfer any contacts, songs, tones to the new phone. Even though the phone is used sprint once it is activated will give you 30 days to insure the phone. Something pretty cool with a used phone.
    05-20-09 11:53 PM
    I bought what was billed as a "new, mint" curve 8330 in the box on eBay. The phone parrt worked fine, but it turned out to be a Verizon phone in an Alltel case, so ther was no data connection. The seller has agreed to replace it but not refund, I am currently waiting for the new one. I am pretty pessimistic, but I'm hoping to get one that works.

My seller had a 98% approval rating, but after realizing I got a hacked phone I Googled my seller and found a ton of complaints. This seller offers a 3 month extension on the original 14 day warranty if you give it a 5 star rating within 5 days. This probably should be against eBay policy.

In any event, I would add to the checklist, Google the seller and don't just go by eBay rating.
    05-20-09 11:53 PM
    I bought what was billed as a "new, mint" curve 8330 in the box on eBay. The phone parrt worked fine, but it turned out to be a Verizon phone in an Alltel case, so ther was no data connection. The seller has agreed to replace it but not refund, I am currently waiting for the new one. I am pretty pessimistic, but I'm hoping to get one that works.

My seller had a 98% approval rating, but after realizing I got a hacked phone I Googled my seller and found a ton of complaints. This seller offers a 3 month extension on the original 14 day warranty if you give it a 5 star rating within 5 days. This probably should be against eBay policy.

In any event, I would add to the checklist, Google the seller and don't just go by eBay rating.
    I have to agree with here...i purchase used curves all the time for the employees and they have never had a problem. I try to stay AWAY from ebay stores and power sellers, and I just stick with individuals who no longer want the curve, upgraded to storm or something else and are now selling their curve. I look for adult owned, never dropped, always in protective case sort of deals. If you do enough searching, you will find in. ON the left pane in ebay you can narrow your search results for exampe (us only, buy it now, pick up available)...that's what i use and like i said, i stay away from cellular online stores and purchase from real people...also make sure they send you additional pics. See the beauty of ebay is that when a seller has a scratch on their screen, or lets say the screen is cracked, they will drastically reduce the price because they arent BB addicts like us. They dont realize the screen that's cracked is actually just the housing that you can buy for 10 bucks. So i've purchased about 4 curves with "broken screen but still functional", and i have the housings waiting for them when they arrive. Clear all call timers, reset factory defaults, sometimes i wipe it clean with JL_Cmder and i'm good to go. these are my suggestions for people looking for used curves online, scratches mean nothing, all that matters is how many drops the phone has taken, and phone call totals, and of course, make sure your carrier can activate the phone, and if verizon (make sure the ESN is clean)
    05-21-09 12:38 AM
    I would also be wary of Craigslist sales.

Example:

If I were someone with no guilt or shame and I had a BB that got wet, but I was able to "revive" it for the time being. I "know" it's only a matter of time before it cr@ps out and starts to have problems, so I want to sell it quick.

Just an all too possible scenario...

Another reason why eBay is safer than CL other than the protection you get from PayPal is a third party insurance company called SquareTrade (squaretrade.com). You can purchase a one or two year warranty on a phone purchased on eBay but not on CL.
    A one year warranty from squaretrade is very reasonably priced and is worth the peace of mind, IMO.

Last edited by xliderider; 05-21-09 at 01:14 AM.
    05-21-09 01:05 AM
    Great advice everyone! Thanks for your opinions. I am meeting him at the Verizon store and not paying him until the phone is over in my name. At the store I will ask the person who is helping me to see if they see any problems with the phone. I also will ask the guy a series of questions before I even go into the store to have it activated.
    05-21-09 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD