Hey all this is my first post and I have a question. Yesterday at my son's second birthday party (we were at my moms pool) I jumped in fully clothed with my BB in my pocket to save my friends 5 year old who was going under. Now my beloved BB is very dead. Better my phone than my friends little boy though! I can't afford to pay the 500+ the company charges for a new phone and of course I didn't have insurance. I have Alltel and I called them to ask if I could by a Verizon phone on ebay and she told me no because of the data in the phone, she said the internet/email etc wouldn't work only the phone features and texting. Is this true, if not how do I go about buying a new phone on ebay? Thanks!!!
    05-31-09 09:40 AM
    First take out your battery and put phone and battery into a zip lock with a bag of dry rice. This will pull the moisture out of your phone and maybe revive it. At least over night in the bag or longer if you can still see moisture.

Ebay and paypal have some buyers protection on cell phones. Look for n individual seller with a good record that is up grading phones. Stay away from the refurb mass sellers. (IMHO) You will probably get a lightly used dependable phone. You might also search here for ebay and you will find some threads with what to look for in a buying a phone on ebay.
    05-31-09 09:58 AM
    Bought my Curve 8320 on Amazon. They always have great deals. Just go to Amazon and search for Blackberry Curve. You'll see the specials. There is a 2 year committment.
    05-31-09 11:04 AM
    This worked for us a few years back, not sure if it will now days. Add insurance. Wait a month or so then claim it. Alltel charges a 100 deducatable for your fault claims. Vs 50 if you didn't damage it but it quit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 11:09 AM
    We have a intern at work who is on his 3 rd Pearl. He bought all of them off Ebay. Has no trouble using them on ATT. Do not know about Sprint or VZW.
    05-31-09 11:29 AM
    Try all the homemade dry out remedies. I bought my curve on ebay brand new for 230 dollars. If you are interested in what seller I bought from I will look it up. Send me a pm if interested.

05-31-09 11:36 AM
    Oh yeah and I'm on verizon so all of this sellers esn's are good.

05-31-09 11:36 AM
    I bought my like new condition Curve off of eBAY for a great price ($160 Free S&H)and came with a bunch of official accessories..I have found that buying from actual individuals as opposed to power seller ebay stores that sell refurbs is the way to go for me personally..U are able to get more specific history on the phone that way..Also sellers that have 4000 Feedback etc.seem to get away with having 100s negative just because the percentage is low..Feedback is always a big thing..and also looking at what they have sold in the past..My seller had sold an iphone as well and received pos. feedback for it..i am more than happy with my Curve..so it is possible to get a great deal on a great phone on ebay..just dont try to get the cheapest deal around sometimes spending a couple extra bucks or paying for shipping with a more reputable seller goes a long way.

Also i have dropped handsets in the toilet as well as washing machine before..and had my daughter spill soda on one..

I always immediatley remove the battery cover, and battery and let it air dry..all 3 times..w/in 3 days my phones were fine..
    Last edited by MurdaMami; 05-31-09 at 11:44 AM.
    05-31-09 11:42 AM
    Alltel's networks consist of analog and digital systems operating primarily on the 800 MHz cellular band, much like Verizon Wireless. Native Alltel markets consist of both analog (AMPS) and digital (CDMA) technologies. ...
    If it was my child, I would replace it for you, with my thanks.

Alltel is using CDMA technology, exactly the same as Verizon, Sprint, Telus and Bell Mobility.

CDMA does not use Subscriber Identity Modules (SIM) or locking. It is up to the carrier to accept or reject a particular device on their network.

You would likley have your best success with an Alltel branded BlackBerry, but there is still the risk they will refuse to accept your secondary market device.

05-31-09 11:45 AM
    I bought two BBs on ebay recently. The first was a Pearl for $61 from an individual seller. It worked fine and was in excellent condition. After a few weeks, I decided that I wanted a Curve and purchased one on Ebay for $135 with free shipping. Again, it was from an individual seller. It is in excellent shape and works fine.

Look for individual sellers.

A note about your situation. I had an LG phone that went through the washing machine. It was dead. I bought the same unit on ebay and was curious to test the new battery in the washed out one. It powered right up. So the moral is: Try getting a new battery for your BB before buying a new unit.
    05-31-09 04:40 PM
    I just bought a Blackberry from this guy's store called BatteryMania Phone World (can't post links yet), but it was an Alltel one and I needed Verizon, my bad. I sent it back and had no trouble exchanging for a Verizon BB. I recommend them.
    05-31-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD