I found this forum while researching for a new phone. Currently I am using a Motorola Q and I am not happy with it. So after looking around, I feel that a Balckberry is the way to go. Also the one I have been looking at is an 8330.

Now, I will be purchasing a device from eBay, and yet again, I want to make sure that I will not be scammed. My carrier is Alltel, and I was wondering what is on the cd that the device comes with from Alltel, and is there a way to get that cd if it is not included in the auction. I really don't need a USB cable, I have enough of them already. Furthermore, if the device functions properly, do I have to upgrade it ??

I look forward to you guys replies.

Thank you in advance.
    05-23-09 01:59 AM
    Welcome to CB.

When purchasing via online auctions, make sure and follow this little guide to ensure you don't get scammed:

If you want to buy online from a private seller, eBay or Craig's List, keep the following in mind and do this before you make any kind of a bid or an offer:
    Ask the seller:-If new and in a sealed box?
    -For photo evidence.
    -If new, is the device locked to a carrier and if so which one?
    -For the IMEI number. If provided, call the carrier to make sure the device has not been reported stolen. If the seller won't provide, think long and hard.
    -Also ask the carrier if the device has been released?

If the device is used, in addition to the above ask:-What is the guarantee it will work when it arrives?
    -Is there an IT Policy installed? This can make full usage difficult.
    -Has there been any water damage (internal water sensor stickers intact)?
    -Are the pictures in the ad the actual device or a "sample"? Satisfy yourself you know what you are getting.

Is It Really Unlocked:If you are told a used BB is unlocked, ask the seller to take a photograph of the following screen, which should prove what they are saying. Note that you should also do this when the device is received to make sure it is unlocked:
    1) On the BlackBerry device:
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card.
    2) In that screen type MEPD on the keyboard.
    3) A new menu will pop up.
    4) Look for Network.
    5) If your device is really unlocked, you should see Disabled or Inactive.
    6) If Active is displayed next to Network, it is still locked to a carrier.

Note that CDMA devices cannot be unlocked. The above applies to GSM devices and hybrids such as the Storm (and possibly the 8830 World Edition), which include SIM slots and work on both CDMA and GSM. AT&T and Verizon devices that are unlocked will not receive a 3G signal outside their networks.
    Which CD are you talking about? The one with Desktop Manager? If so, that is downloadable from RIM's website so it doesn't matter if it comes with one or not.

If you're happy with the way your device performs and functions, leave it be. If you're not and it leaves you wanting more, by all means upgrade.

Good luck!
    05-23-09 02:03 AM
    Thank you.

Yes, I assume that it is the desktop manager that comes standard from the carrier. When I have purchased the device, I will get the software from RIM website.

I have read about service books, what is this, how do they work and how do I get them ?

For OS updates, what are the major imrovments to look for ?
    05-23-09 03:01 AM
    Service Books on your BlackBerry enable various services to be rendered to your BlackBerry, such as email configurations, the browser and attachment services. For example, an MMS service book would be put on your device to allow your device to send/receive MMS message. There's service books for numerous things... such as email, calendar, browser, IM, etc.
    Service books are automatically sent by the carrier, but in case you ever need to resend them, check out this thread.

Regarding the differences between software updates, it really depends on what OS the device is on and what you're planning on going to.
    05-23-09 03:09 AM
    Since Alltel is a CDMA carrier, the easiest way to be sure you can use it on your network is to find one that it Alltel branded, then ask the seller for the ESN of the device, and call Alltel to make sure the ESN is clean. If it is, and if you're satisfied from the picture you receive that the device is in decent shape, go ahead and make the purchase. I bought an 8830 off of craigslist, and I'm quite happy with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 05:01 AM
    the sync cable is a mini usb not a regular usb....
    05-23-09 05:42 AM
    Um.... What??

05-23-09 06:24 AM
    The first poster stated he had plenty of USB cables, but the phone uses a mini usb cable...
    05-23-09 06:34 AM
    Welcome to cb

05-23-09 09:22 AM
    Mini USB is pretty much a standard for mobile devices, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the OP already knew this. I know I, for one, have 7 or 8 USB cables, all of which are Type A to Mini.

05-23-09 10:38 AM
    I should have specified that I had several USB to mini USB, from other devices. Sorry about that.
    05-23-09 12:01 PM
    When you download the Desktop Manager software from the blackberry website, I recommend you get version 4.6 without Media Manager.

Stay away from version 4.7, as it can be buggy when used with Curves and Pearls.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

Right now, I would have to say the most stable OS out is 4.5.0.131, which can be downloaded here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E+4M-yxIe68A**

Also, when you purchase your Curve on eBay, make sure you use PayPal. In case anything goes wrong with the transaction, you can initiate a dispute and or claim through PayPal to get a refund.

You can also check out squaretrade.com for a warranty on your eBay purchase. You can get up to 2 years of warranty protection for a reasonable amount.
    05-23-09 01:54 PM
    Excellent, I looked at Blackberry and saw there were different versions. Now I know what I can get without messing things up more than normal when it comes to electronic devices.

Thank you for steering me in the right direction.
    05-23-09 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD