Hey there! For some reason all of the buttons on my Blackberry Curve 8330 have gone unresponsive. I have not recently dropped, or exposed my phone to moisture of any kind. It was working earlier today, it just stopped working recently. I've tried pulling the battery twice, with no avail.

The only thing that can get the blackberry to respond are when it is placed on my charging cradle, and when the battery is reinserted after a battery pull. I believe everything else with the phone works because when I send an email, I can see the new messages count go up by placing it on the charger.

I received this cellphone as a prize in the DJ Tutor ToneMine.com contest, and I currently use it on Alltel. Because I did not purchase this phone from Alltel, I don't know if I will be able to get it replaced there; which is disregarding the fact that I've owned this phone for about half a year now.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
    06-28-09 03:26 AM
    alltel and RIM should hold a warranty on the device regardless of where you got it from. if you are seeking a replacement, contact alltell and see if its covered under the one year warranty. they should be able to tell you that by its ESN i think.
    06-28-09 03:29 AM
    alltel and RIM should hold a warranty on the device regardless of where you got it from. if you are seeking a replacement, contact alltell and see if its covered under the one year warranty. they should be able to tell you that by its ESN i think.
    Agreed. I've never won a phone in a contest so I'm not sure how that would work, but there should be some type of warranty on it. Calling Alltell to find out would be your best option.
    06-28-09 03:33 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try that. Unfortunately the device is a bit dinged up from past drops. However I don't believe that those past drops caused this because I haven't dropped this in at least 2 months.

Hopefully Alltel doesn't try to screw me over on that.

Thanks again, Dictoresno!
    06-28-09 03:34 AM
    just keep in mind, like most other carriers, if your device is under warranty, they will send you a replacement (probably refurbished) but at no cost. if they determine your handset isnt covered due to damage you caused and not a manufacturing defect or problem otherwise, they may charge you for the new device. so try to be sure the issue will be covered with alltels reps before agreeing to the replacement. but ive found that no matter how beat the phone was, past carriers have always taken my word for it and covered it.
    06-28-09 03:39 AM
    I'm a little confused now. I went to an Alltel retail outlet near my house and spoke with a sales rep. She looked at my plan in their system and declared that my phone is no longer under warranty because it has been a little over a year.

When I asked what phone she was referring to on my phone number, she told me it was my Blackberry Pearl. The only problem is that when I received my Blackberry Curve, about 4-6 months ago, I gave my old Blackberry Pearl to my sister because she has wanted a Blackberry for awhile now.

I made the sales rep aware of this, she scanned the barcode under my phone's battery and told me that she couldn't do anything regarding the warranty because it didn't show it as being a purchase I made... which makes sense... because I won it in a contest.

Anyways she said there's nothing she can do regarding the warranty, and said that she doesn't think that RIM would be able to assist me either since apparently they let the providers take care of warranties etc?

Anyways I am lost now; don't know what to do. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated. I wish I had the booklet that came with my Blackberry Curve to read the warranty policy, but alas I don't know where it went..

What I don't understand is why they won't honor my phone's warranty. It shouldn't matter if I payed for it or not. It was payed for by someone, the warranty should still be honored even if I won it in a contest

Thanks!
    06-30-09 11:02 PM
    Anyone?
    07-01-09 09:58 AM
    Crap, Apparently the RIM hotline isn't toll free. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? The alltel sales rep said that RIM wouldn't be able to help me either way :/
    07-05-09 07:14 PM
    You are going to have to pay to talk to RIM. That's how it works.

And the carriers typically only handle the warranty claims as a courtesy, so you can see why they would not process a claim for a device which was not purchased from them.

Keyboard issues typically are moisture and/or impact related, unfortunately, so your prospects aren't high anyway.

You might try purchasing used phone from a third party, or a new phone from the carrier.
    07-05-09 10:14 PM
    Try pressing
    ALT, RIGHT SHIFT and DEL at the same time and hold till powers off.
    Did it a couple times and pulled the battery and all OK
    08-29-09 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD