Bug in BlackBerry desktop software! | BerryReview.com �

"I kid you not. A nasty bug has been found hiding in the Blackberry Desktop Manager. According to the FrSIRT (French Security Incident Response Team),

A vulnerability has been identified in BlackBerry Desktop Software, which could be exploited by attackers to compromise a vulnerable system. This issue is caused by an error in the FLEXnet Connect DWUpdateService ActiveX control.

To be honest, I don�t know how this vulnerability could be possibly �exploited by attackers�, how said attackers would �compromise a vulnerable system� and how �vulnerable� our systems really are, but why take risks, right? Take action now! The HispaSec Web site points out this official RIM article that explains how to fix the problem. Basically, you have to either download and install a new version of the Desktop Manager or just install a patch kindly provided by Roxio, who introduced the flaw in the first place. It happens in the best of families. Just read that page, it is informative and thorough. Prevention is better than remedy."

by Luciano ES
    12-05-08 01:48 PM
    Thanks for the info. Always better to be safe than sorry.
    12-05-08 02:47 PM
    I have not taken time to look at the vulnerability and what has been released yet but, most likely there is either a port left open that an attacker can exploit or use active x to send commands to a vulnerable computer. Once connected, the attacker could be able to only do a few things or could take control of the computer and attack further in the network. If that is the case, they would be able to see files on your computer and gain any personal information or use your computer as a zombie for sending out spam for example. Thanks for posting this. I had not seen this one yet.
    12-05-08 07:09 PM
    Ditto. Thanks for the info. I have the DM without the media manager. I always recommend addicts get the DM by itself, no media manager. If you need to add/delete/move songs/videos, you can do it in mass media mode just like any USB drive. My .02
    12-05-08 07:25 PM
    Help with the Active X please. I have sprint 8830. According to notice nothing less than 4.5 will solve problem but highest sprint offers is 4.3?
    12-09-08 09:23 AM
    Help with the Active X please. I have sprint 8830. According to notice nothing less than 4.5 will solve problem but highest sprint offers is 4.3?
    go to Crackberry.com>Forums, then scroll down and choose the section accordingly for you BB and it should have the latest OS stickied at the top of the forum.
    12-09-08 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD