Twice in last 2 days, I've heard a sound I cannot ID. I've narrowed it down to the notifier sound associated with my browser, but do not understand why it would be going off. Thoughts?
    03-29-10 09:30 AM
    Funny you should ask this as I am having the same issue; I guess. My 8330 started acting funny about 3 days ago, would vibrate 2 and sound off 3 times. when I would look at it, no notification would be on the screen. This has happened to me about 4 times so far and at no particular time.

Note: I did a battery pull (Alt Del and actually pulling the battery) both with no luck.
    Last edited by MJ1s; 03-29-10 at 09:59 AM.
    03-29-10 09:56 AM
    Cool, I'm not crazy. Hope somebody will chime in with an answer.
    03-29-10 09:57 AM
    In messages look in folders and look for one that says browser messages. You guys may have a notification.
    03-29-10 10:08 AM
    No messages in the Messages/View Folder/Browser Messages folder. Nothing in any of the visible folders either when Expanded....
    03-29-10 10:14 AM
    Have you looked in your current profile to see if alerts are set for browser or other alerts.... are you getting an icon that you received an alert? Could you be getting a calendar alert?
    03-29-10 10:29 AM
    The alert sound I'm getting is only in the Browser - all others are different tones. I don't know what kind of notification would be associated with the browser? As mentioned above, there is no icon or graphic associated with the sound - that's why I'm puzzled.
    03-29-10 10:33 AM
    So you get the alert only when you are in the browser?
    03-29-10 10:41 AM
    Not even in the browser. Nothing is open when this occurs.
    03-29-10 10:42 AM
    Why do you think it is or has something to do with the browser then? Have you made any changes or installed anything in the last couple of days? Have you turned off your alerts to see if it goes away? Not sure what os you are on and I am using 5.0 so I have different options on the device...
    03-29-10 10:50 AM
    If I go to Profiles/then the active one, Loud in this case/Advanced/Loud (Active)/Browser - If I look at the Ring Tone associated with this - it's the Notifier_Spell and the only instance of Notifier_Spell used. Calendar through Tasks all use a different Ring Tones.

I just got notified and installed a desktop software change. It mus have also installed an OS change. I show 4.5.0.175 currently, but do not recall what it may have been before.

One last note. I see an icon for Skype now that I never saw before. I did not download it and cannot remove it as it does not show up when I list all applications.
    03-29-10 10:57 AM
    So on your home screen you do not get a notification just the sound? And have you tried changing the tone to another one to confirm it is the right alert?

Do not know anything about Skype unless this is an icon to download the app. Carriers download links to install apps or features.
    03-29-10 11:04 AM
    I just changed the ring tone for browser alerts to something else. We'll see now. Thanks for your vigilance.
    03-29-10 11:15 AM
    I too have been getting an audible browser alert for no apparent reason. That's why I came here looking for an answer.

I have an 8350i with the latest OS.

The alert sound is ONLY associated with the "browser" option in my ringer profile. It has made this alert several times in the last couple days while my phone was not in use (in another room) and has no associated on-screen icon. what is it for?
    03-29-10 11:15 AM
    I may have found my answer.

I opened the BB browser and selected the "bookmark" tab. All the way at the bottom, there was a tab for "channels" (i think it was channels, it has since disappeared). There was a link for accuweather that had a green globe icon next to it. All the other link globes were black/gray. I deleted that channel.

I believe that the channel was causing the browser alert anytime it became updated with new weather info. I don't know how I subscribed to that channel, but I think the random alerts will be over now.

hope this helps dawgfan76
    03-29-10 11:34 AM
    I had the same accuweather channel, I have also delated it. We'll see if that works.
    03-29-10 12:17 PM
    Hey hope this has cured the problem. Be sure to post back so others can use your fix...
    03-29-10 01:57 PM
    its been 24 hours without another browser alert, so I'm considering it "fixed". I will post again if it happens again, otherwise
    03-30-10 10:57 AM
    Son of a B....

Just as I was typing my last post it happened again. I looked in the browser channels and that stupid weather thing was there again. I deleted it again and also all bookmarks of accuweather as well as all history of accuweather. hopefully that will keep it out.
    03-30-10 10:59 AM
    count me in too . same browser alert
    03-31-10 01:17 AM
    You can silence the alert. Go to the volume option, highlight it and select "Silent"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 02:15 AM
    Notifier_Spell is the ring tone I keep hearing and there is no icon or other indication of what the ring tome signifies. I changed the browser notifier the other day to a new ring tone and have not heard that one go off yet.

Only thing I can guess is that whatever updates were installed, including the OS, have caused this mystery notification.
    03-31-10 06:36 AM
    Son of a B....

Just as I was typing my last post it happened again. I looked in the browser channels and that stupid weather thing was there again. I deleted it again and also all bookmarks of accuweather as well as all history of accuweather. hopefully that will keep it out.
    I don't exactly but you have to got to accuweather channel in the browser. Then chose unsubscribe to the weather alert. Deleting the bookmark will not delete the alert; as you already know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 07:06 AM
    Speaking of Accuweather...I was just going through my applications - thinking about deleting some - and I could not find Accuweather listed. How can I delete it now?

edit - I have Accuweather installed and showing on my screen. It did not sound clear above that I actually have it, but want to remove it.
    Last edited by dawgfan76; 03-31-10 at 10:20 AM. Reason: re-word
    03-31-10 07:22 AM
    I believe from reading this thread is you will still receive alerts even without the app. The post above yours describes how to remove the setting in your browser… I would also clear cookies and cache in your browser.
    03-31-10 08:31 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD