My friend has one of the 8330 curves on Sprint. She had issues with it the one she has and they sent her a new one. So it came in the mail and i came over and began to set up the device. As i was in the middle of begging to start the transfer she picked up her old phone and droped it. Yep, it broke the USB port. So... the problem i run into now is that i need to transfer all 221 of her contacts from the old BB to the new one. Of course blackberry and all it's might doesn't allow you to transfer your old contacts via bluetooth. So now, i don't want to make her transfer all of them by hand. is there a way to use some sort of program like google sync? or can i use it trought bluetooth? I am running Linux on my personal computer at home. Can i use the barry program to do any of this? Any help would be great. From what i am reading it is not possible. But i'm sure there is a way too do it. Thanks.
    12-16-09 03:34 PM
    My friend has one of the 8330 curves on Sprint. She had issues with it the one she has and they sent her a new one. So it came in the mail and i came over and began to set up the device. As i was in the middle of begging to start the transfer she picked up her old phone and droped it. Yep, it broke the USB port. So... the problem i run into now is that i need to transfer all 221 of her contacts from the old BB to the new one. Of course blackberry and all it's might doesn't allow you to transfer your old contacts via bluetooth. So now, i don't want to make her transfer all of them by hand. is there a way to use some sort of program like google sync? or can i use it trought bluetooth? I am running Linux on my personal computer at home. Can i use the barry program to do any of this? Any help would be great. From what i am reading it is not possible. But i'm sure there is a way too do it. Thanks.
    I use Google Sync to maintain contacts and calendars between two different Blackberry's, so it is possible to do the transfer OTA. Just setup Google Sync on both phones.
    12-16-09 05:00 PM
    Agreed. use google sync.
    12-16-09 05:18 PM
    I sync with outlook via bluetooth...you can try that
    12-16-09 06:13 PM
    Personally Google Sync is what I use ever since my USB port went KIA
    12-16-09 11:31 PM
    I must agree with googlesync, it has been flawless for me, I also recommend a charging cradle, she will need it
    12-16-09 11:35 PM
    You have a few options to back this up.

OPTION 1
    Sync with desktop manager through a bluetooth dongle using NATIVE WINDOWS bluetooth drivers (stack). Your best chance of doing this successfully is using windows xp, desktop manger 5.0.1 and a program called Bluetooth Installer (bluetoothinstaller DOT com) that allows you to install your bluetooth dongle or card using Windows native stack. Without this tool, the process is very complicated (including editing system files). If you cannot get the bluetooth to work, there are multiple reasons for this. If you try this option and can't get it to work, let me know.

OPTION 2
    Copy data to your sdcard using a BRAND NEW program that is still in the early stages of beta testing. It is called DataBackup made by S4BB:

(appworld DOT blackberry DOT com/webstore/content/3292)

they will send u an email confirmation. after u click the conf link, u will get another email with an OTA link.

These are the instructions they sent me:

"Hello XXXXXXX,

you have done it! My name is Peter from S4BB Limited and I will assist you with DataBackup. Please download the program files below.

Usage instructions:
    Please be reminded that this is a VERY EARLY beta version. Though it has gone through extensive testing, we can NOT guarantee data integrity. This is how you should use the application:
    1. Install the application (see below).
    2. Open the app by clicking the icon.
    3. Click the "Backup" button, select a name and click "Backup" again.
    4. All contacts are backed up to the file system now. The device might be non-responsive for some minutes. (Depending on the size of your address book)
    5. Optional: If you want to move the contents to another device --- Copy the directory "/Media Card/<name you entered in 3>" to another device's SD card at "/Media Card/"
    6. Start DataBackup on that device and click "Restore".
    7. All data from the backup is restored to our address book. The device might be non-responsive for a while as well.
    +++ You're Done! Happy Live! +++

Download files: (Current as of 01/20/2010)
    OTA: (s4bb DOT net/ota091110/beta/db3/databackup.jad)

"

Keep in mind that you should only use the above OTA link in an emergency. Better to sign up and get your own link as they often come out with new and better versions of the program.
    This is probably the easiest option, but since it is a beta program, they make no promises. Do not delete anything until your data is on a new device successfully.

OPTION 3

Use an App to copy your data over the internet to the AppMaker's servers. Then you can install the same app on the new device and restore the saved data. You can either use mIQ (from bestbuy mobile) (miqlive DOT com) or pleex from (en DOT pleex DOT com). Each program backs up different data and gives different amounts of free storage and options. Pleex has a pd version and I'm not sure if the free version will do a restore. I have used both apps to backup, but havenever tested doing a restore with either one. Any feedback on experiences with these 2 apps would be appreciated.

OPTION 4

You will only need this option if you are really stuck like I was yesterday. I had a 8830 with a broken miniusb port that somehow got a corrupted IT policy from restoring data from an old 7520. This IT policy (which can't be removed without using the usb port) was blocking all bluetooth capabilities so that knocked out option 1. The IT policy also locked the phone security in a way that made option 2 not work because the BackUp app would install but couldn't open (presumably because it was trying to access the data in a way restricted by the IT policy). Option 3 also didn't work because the IT policy locked the firewall on so no app could transfer data from inside the firewall (in the phone) to outside the firewall (to the internet).

I was desperate to get over 2000 contacts from this phone so I took the entire phone apart, removed the broken usb port from the main board using a pair of needle nose pliers. I put it back together enough to put battery back in, but not enough to block the part of the board that used to have the port attached to it. I then took a blackberry usb cable and removed the metal end part of the smaller end of the wire, leaving the pins and some plastic housing the pins. Using a box cutter, I carefully sliced small portions of the plastic off of the 5 pins untill they were completely exposed. With a pair of scissors, I cut all of the pins to the same length. Then, with the other end of the wire plugged into my pc (BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE PINS BECAUSE THEY ARE ELECTRIFIED) i pressed the 5 pins against the 5 dots on the board that the port used to be attached to. (Make sure u arent reversing the pins by marking part of the wire so you remember hoe it would have plugged in before you removed the port from the phone). By holding the 5 pins at a downward angle, and putting a decent amount of downward pressure connecting the pins, I was able to do a regular backup usinf desktop manager through USB!!!!

Good luck!! If this is useful for anyone, I can put together a video or picture tutorial of this method.
    Last edited by mbelsky; 01-20-10 at 11:24 PM.
    01-20-10 11:21 PM
    Wow what a long reply. Activate the first phone, install and run google sync. Be aware that any contacts in the gmail contacts will now be sent to your new phone. Set up a new gmail acct to keep it isolated.

run it then on new phone and your contacts get restored.

Another reminder to use google sync ALWAYS so you never have this issue. Continious ota backups

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD