View Poll Results: beat the **** out of newbies when they are misinformed or gently correct them?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verbally beat them Silly they deserve it!

3 21.43%
  • Cut them some slack . . . I was a newbie once too.

11 78.57%
    I just made the switch from a Motorola Q Black to BB 8330 Curve. I did a pile of research before making the change. Crackberry.com was very useful, but I had many unanswered questions that left me uneasy in making a move. I reluctantly switched and boy am I glad that I did.

In two years I went through 9 q's and it was only through major tweeking with a registry editor and the help of everythingq.com that the last one became useable. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 9th q. There are still things about it that I miss, but come on . . . it should have worked the way I tweeked it right out of the box.

My Q would last a full day (maybe) with an extended battery. With the same usage on my bb I get 3 full days. And realistically I use the curve more thanks to bb messenger and still 3 full days. The instant email is a huge plus also. No more waiting 15 minutes for the Q to do the next push. I will admit that the windows mobile platform is easy to use and initially the BB had me slightly intimidated and regretful of my purchase for the first 24 hours.

The more I play with my bb, the more I learn, and the more intuitive I find it. I miss being able to access youtube and google videos but the newfound stability, speed, and battery life of my bb overpowers the neatness factor of streaming flash video and the pie browser.

My one and only blackberry complaint is the webbrowser. Opera Mini is a much better browser, but neither is comparable to pocket internet explorer. Sorry, just my opinion.

My only two complaints with Verizon in regards to bb are they cripple the phones. Nothing new here . . . we know this, but at least with the q I could change my DNS settings for faster internet and get my internal gps working. It saddens me that I can't take advantage of my curve's gps and that verizon does not offer the wifi version, but I knew this going in.

So what were my original apprehensions:
    Would the battery life be that much better? YES
    Would it sync with outlook as well? EVEN BETTER
    Is the email abillity as good as the claims? ABSOLUTELY
    Could I access all the websites I did before? WITH OPERA MINI YES (FREE)
    Would the thickness of the curve bother me? IT ACTUALLY FEELS SMALLER
    Is there enough 3rd party support/apps? MORE THAN ENOUGH
    BB a media device? 3.5mm JACK and 8GB MEMORY CARD!!!
    Would the signal strength and call quallity be as good? BETTER and BETTER

There were more but you get the jist. My only regret is that I did not step up and switch sooner. This phone does everthing that I need (and more) while offering me the reliability I need in a business device that kicks but as personal device. The 8830 is a phone that is truly a tripple threat to windows mobile devices. We are all trained to accept the complexity and instabillity of the windows desktop and mobile platforms, but I say no more. Easy, Intuitive, and Stable . . . BB is the only way to fly.
    Last edited by driphter; 05-22-08 at 01:53 PM. Reason: thanks to jrsccivic98 for so politely correcting me on verizon not offering a wifi version of the curve. I did not know.
    05-22-08 11:50 AM
    driphter,

could NOT agree w/ you more! made the switch on friday...saturday was planning on taking curve back....now i wouldnt trade for anything!

even better...sold my black q for 100$ on ebay!

thing i miss (and hope to integrate)
    email attachments much better on q.
    05-22-08 12:06 PM
    Here's why winmo devices will ALWAYS have problems..

1. Microsoft does not make the device, only the OS.. they make a blanket OS and the device manufacturer tweaks to run on their device and then the carriers tweak more.

2. RIM makes the device so they can program it perfectly and without issues.. (for the most part)

3. The software available on WinMo devices is VAAAAAASTLY superior to what Blackberry software there is.. and along with all that software, are all sorts of compatibility issues with varying hardware..

Haven't you noticed that the same crap you go through on your PC.. you go through on your WinMo device?? it's like MS is plagued with software curses..

I've had my fair share of freezes, black screens, slow screen refreshes, slow scrolling then speeds up turbo.. all on WinMo devices..

so all in all.. if MS ever made the hardware then programmed software for it, it would be a good device. until then, we're stuck with the same ol slow/craptacular MS software curse.

I've used PocketPC and Smartphone WinMo devices, ranging from the 6700 to the Blackjack II, to the Moto Q9h.. all have problems.

I have almost 0 issues with my BB's..i've used like 5 over the past 1 year..

One thing though, you said that the call quality is better on the BB.. I've found that the call quality on my Moto Q9h (from AT&T) is alot clearer/less static interruptions than my previous Blackberrys.. that's just what I've found.
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-22-08 at 12:56 PM.
    05-22-08 12:41 PM
    It saddens me that I can't take advantage of my curve's wifi and gps, but I knew this going in.
    For the last time...

There is no got damn WiFi in the 8330. Curves come in two flavors, one that has GPS and Camera and one that has Wifi and Camera (GSM versions that is). The 8330 pairs a Camera and GPS. Verizon may cripple the GPS, but there is not fracking WiFi on this phone. When will you get that through your thick skulls?
    05-22-08 12:47 PM
    For the last time...

There is no got damn WiFi in the 8330. Curves come in two flavors, one that has GPS and Camera and one that has Wifi and Camera (GSM versions that is). The 8330 pairs a Camera and GPS. Verizon may cripple the GPS, but there is not fracking WiFi on this phone. When will you get that through your thick skulls?
    Easy there tiger.. it's just misinformation.

For anyone not clear on the device scheme its,

81xx: SureType consumer device; camera-enabled
    83xx: QWERTY consumer device; camera-enabled
    88xx: QWERTY business device; no camera, GPS-enabled
    xx00: GSM device
    xx10: GSM device; step-sibling upgrade of xx00 (Pearl and Curve only)
    xx20: GSM+Wi-Fi device
    xx30: CDMA/EVDO+GSM device
    05-22-08 12:58 PM
    Easy there tiger.. it's just misinformation.

For anyone not clear on the device scheme its,

81xx: SureType consumer device; camera-enabled
    83xx: QWERTY consumer device; camera-enabled
    88xx: QWERTY business device; no camera, GPS-enabled
    xx00: GSM device
    xx10: GSM device; step-sibling upgrade of xx00 (Pearl and Curve only)
    xx20: GSM+Wi-Fi device
    xx30: CDMA/EVDO+GSM device
    No, it's not misinformation. It's supidity. Have you counted how many threads since the 8330 released there have been where someone thinks there is WiFi on the 8330. It's like everyone is taking stupid pills or something. Where do they make up this stuff. What's next, VZW cripples the phone ringer volume on the 8830? Give me a break!

BTW, the above bolded line is misinforming because it leads you to belive that an 8130 or 8330 is CDMA/GSM, which it is not. Only the 8830 is dual-mode. Might want to fix that "misinformation".
    05-22-08 01:08 PM
    For the last time...

Wow, I didn't intend on stimulating such a passionate response to my overview. I appologize for assuming that the entire 83XX series would all have the same availablities. Show the love brother. Life's too short to walk around with a chip on the ol sholder.
    05-22-08 01:46 PM
    For the last time...

You should try to say what you mean and not beat around the bush when you make your points .

A quick check to the font of all Blackberry specifications BlackBerry shows that you are, of course - correct.
    05-22-08 01:57 PM
    Yeah, maybe it was a bit harsh, so sorry if it came off like that. It's not that you're new to Blackberry, it's that there's been a lot of threads lately that constantly depict the 8330 as having WiFi and that for some reason VZW disabled it. That's just not the case. To make it worse, then you have people asking how to enable it or VZW will ever release an update to open it up. I mean, come on... really?

Anyway, love the new poll. lol. You can guess what I voted for.

Perhaps next time I'll just use the Picard...
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-22-08 at 05:11 PM.
    05-22-08 05:04 PM
    I'm glad you like the poll. I thought it might make you smile. I know it's annoying when people muddy the threads with unnecessary questions and I didn't intend to state erronious info to stimulate more of the same nonsense. I like the picard. Water under the bridge.
    05-22-08 07:19 PM
    i think it depends on what they are in asking about if they come in and the first 10 posts are about where they can get 4.5 you should verbally abuse them lol
    05-22-08 07:21 PM
    Getting back to the OPs post,

I too came from the Moto Q and went through only about 6. I tethered the crap out of it and it was a lifesaver. I never bothered with the Qs push b/c it killed that battery that much quicker.

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the Curve. I went into the store, thinking of another Windows phone, or the Q9M or Q9C, or HTC Touch. Some of those phones were going for $100-$400! When I saw what the Curve offered and the quality I jumped on it, not having done any prior research (which is unlike me).

The phone continues to amaze. Sadly, today I had the phone on the bathroom after using it (semi dark in there) and the backlight and keyboard lights came were on. I turned on the light switch, and they went off. So I toggled the light switch a few times to see the Curve recognize the darkness and light up each time. Just another brilliant feature, and 1 that helps to save the battery as my q backlight was set at about 30 seconds, sunny or dark out.

Ok, probably TMI there =) Just happy to have a phone that is as functional as my iPhone buddies have been bragging about =)
    05-22-08 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD