well i moved to iowa from rhode island and i just have one question about the time zone switching on my curve.
    it's that every time i turn my berry off and back on it switches back to est... so i am forced to manually change it back to central time...
    i meen i wear a watch so it's not that big of a deal... but i'd prefer if it didn't keep swittching back to est...
    so basically i want to know is there a way to make it stop switching back to est?

os 4.5.0.69
    08-21-08 08:36 PM
    DId you change the time zone in option>date/time? do not forget to hit menu save
    08-21-08 08:40 PM
    yes that's how i've been changing it manually and yes i've been using the save button
    08-21-08 09:00 PM
    If you are synching to a desktop computer that's still on ET, and you have the option enabled to sync the device time to the computer, that will cause what you are seeing. Also, Central America Time and Central Time are both GMT-6, but Central America Time doesn't observe DST, so that's another potential source of a one-hour error.
    08-21-08 09:06 PM
    Dang jeff, I think CB needs to come up with something other than Genius for your level. Great info. I will put that into memory as well. Thanks.
    08-21-08 09:09 PM
    Well, thanks. You don't have to waste your memory on those, though. They're in the BlackBerry Time Zone Issues link in my sig.
    08-21-08 09:17 PM
    nope my desktop is still set to central time....
    and when i am turning it off i'm not connecting it to the computer
    not sure if that changes anything
    08-21-08 09:19 PM
    The only time I ever turn my 8830 off is when I'm on a plane, but I've never had a problem with it staying on the same time zone as when I turned it off. That's the main topic of my Time Zones thread.

What are your date time settings?
    If you're in CT, they should be:
    Time Zone: Central Time (-6)
    (GMT-6:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
    Time: 9:31 pm
    Time Format: 12 hour
    Date: Thu, Aug 21, 2008
    Date/Time Source: Network
    Network Time: 9:31 pm
    Network Date: Thu, Aug 21, 2008.

Is that what you've got?
    08-21-08 09:32 PM
    yea it's the same as those settings
    08-21-08 09:37 PM
    What else is associated with turning the BlackBerry off and on? Are you running any other programs? Are you turning it off by the power switch, or by the Auto On/Off function? There's something we're missing. BlackBerry's simply don't autonomously change time zones.
    08-21-08 09:57 PM
    nothing out of the ordinary is running... pacman... is pretty much the only 3rd party app that i run....
    ive been turning it off by use of the alt+right shift+del
    i usually turn it off whenever my memory drops below 20 megs
    08-21-08 10:06 PM
    Alt-R.Shft-Del is a soft reset, not a power off. Does yours actually power off when you reset it? It should not.
    08-21-08 10:08 PM
    it does when you hold it down for about 20 seconds
    08-21-08 10:26 PM
    Mine resets. And when it booted back up, it was still in ET. To duplicate what you're doing, I changed it to CT and held down the Alt-R.Shft-del for 20 seconds. The 8830 reset, and came back up in CT.

Since no other 8310 user has reported this behavior, I've got to think something's wrong with your particular device.

Next will be a google search for similar behavior. Since it's only 10:39 in CT, I'll let you do that!

If your device is in warranty, you might want to swap it for another and see if it has the same problem.
    08-21-08 10:40 PM
    nah a device swap is too much effort for this tiny problem...
    i'm hoping that it will just eventually fix itself....
    + i wear a watch all the time so even though this is annoying i can live with it

and it may be early but i'm tired as crap so i'm going to bed

thanks for all of your help though
    08-21-08 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD