I am using an 8330 Curve, but the charging port doesn't work anymore. I saw an accessory called the "Blackberry Power Station". It says that you can sync your phone through the usb cable. Does anyone know if this is correct? I saw a different one that said you could do that, but all the reviews said you can't and can only charge it. I actually have a separate cradle ( different product) that I recently purchased so I could charge the battery. I tried attaching the USB cable to the cradle and then to the computer to use the desktop manager, but the software won't recognize the cradle and so won't let me sync up. Does anyone have experience with this "power station" or similar product, and if so, if you can use it to sync using the USB port on it, instead of the Curve itself?
    Verizon says it can't be fixed, but I found a few sites that say they can fix it. The problem is down time, and thought if there was a cradle that allows you to sync, I can still use the phone while I wait for it to come in, and then sync up as I was doing before.
    Thanks for your help.
    05-16-10 10:13 PM
    Pick up a Bluetooth usb adapter for your windows PC. You can sync through that as long as you don't mind not being able to install applications through Desktop Manager.
    05-18-10 11:33 AM
    Pick up a Bluetooth usb adapter for your windows PC. You can sync through that as long as you don't mind not being able to install applications through Desktop Manager.
    Hi thanks for the response. I actually don't need a Bluetooth usb adaper. My laptop is bluetooth capable already. I don't want to sound stupid, but as much as I always wanted to use the bluetooth capability exactly for that reason, it never seems to work. I know it is a different subject, but I am sure there are a lot of people who could problem use a lesson on doing it, if you feel like becoming the professor. Any instructions would be great.
    Thanks.
    05-18-10 05:12 PM
    The charging pod is only for charging -- it wont connect to your PC.

If your port is permanently damaged, you will not be able to run DM with your device.
    05-18-10 10:05 PM
    The charging pod is only for charging -- it wont connect to your PC.

If your port is permanently damaged, you will not be able to run DM with your device.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-19-10 06:56 AM
    Hi docsmody, and thanks for your response. First though, I didn't actually ask about a charging pod which I already have. I asked about what is supposed to be a new accessory and similar products. The description actually says "it can be used to both charge the battery and sync to the computer though its __USB port." I was trying to see if anyone had any actual experience with it, because there is one product that I saw on Amazon that claims it can do that, but all the reviews said it couldn't and it appears that they finally changed it. Second, on the port itself, I saw a few sites from a discussion here on Crackberry, that say they can replace the port so it will work. I was trying to avoid the time without my Curve. I know ome person suggested syncing through Bluetooth, but I don't know how to do that.
    Thanks for youur answer though.

05-19-10 07:06 AM
    To docsmody's point, any charging station that uses the contacts at the bottom of the curve will not be able to sync with your DM as those are power contacts and not for data. The USB port is the only cable method of connecting and transfering data. If you need guidance on Bluetooth then I would do a search for "pairing" to connect your BB with your computer's OS, as the steps to do that are different between OS versions.

05-19-10 07:59 AM
    To docsmody's point, any charging station that uses the contacts at the bottom of the curve will not be able to sync with your DM as those are power contacts and not for data. The USB port is the only cable method of connecting and transfering data. If you need guidance on Bluetooth then I would do a search for "pairing" to connect your BB with your computer's OS, as the steps to do that are different between OS versions.

Hi thanks for your answer. Not sure why people are missiing what I am saying. The accessory I am talking about (power station) that can be seen here on the site, does not use the contacts to charge, it shows a separate compartment at the back to put the battery in, and says that you can use the USB port on this power station to sync to the computer. I know you can't do it with a charging pod. I was just trying to see if anyone had experience with this particular device. As to your comment on Bluetooth, my laptop is paired with the phone, that was never the problem - it is only in transferring information, that never seems to work. Thanks for replying anyway.
    05-19-10 12:42 PM
    How about providing a link to this product your speaking of? From what your describing is that it uses the usb port to transfer information, which won't work because your port is broken. Like what has been said, the only way to sync/connect/backup your BB to the computer is by usb port or through Bluetooth, there isn't a separate compartment in the back for connecting.

05-19-10 01:00 PM
    How about providing a link to this product your speaking of? From what your describing is that it uses the usb port to transfer information, which won't work because your port is broken. Like what has been said, the only way to sync/connect/backup your BB to the computer is by usb port or through Bluetooth, there isn't a separate compartment in the back for connecting.

Hello ridesno159,
    Thank you for your input on the subject. It appears that I can't supply the link. I had it here, but received a message saying that you have to have at least 10 posts to be able to include links, and I have seven, so I had to go back and take the lins out. However, if on this site, you go to the accessories, click on the Curve 8330 and look at chargers, you will find the "power station" yourself. I saw another one on another site as well. If you look at the product, you will indeed see on the back a small compartment to charge an extra battery. If you look at the photos, you will see that the device plugs into the wall. You will also see a USB port on the device which is what appears would connect to the computer to allow for syncing, unless that is just there if you want to use that for charging. However, from reading the description of the product, it says that syncing can be done either wirelessly (which I am still trying to figure out how) or through the USB cable. As far as the USB port on my device, I mentioned two sites that I also found here on Crackberry, that say that they can replace the port.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    The first site without giving the link is called pdarepairworld and it is followed by the dot com and yes they do cell phone repair. The description is below unless I have to go back and remove that as well.

"USB Port replacement service for BlackBerry 8800, 8820, 8830"
    "Has your data port become cracked or mangled, making it impossible to charge or sync your BlackBerry? Let the pro's replace your USB port in your BlackBerry 8800, 8820, 8830 World Phone with an OEM replacement. Price includes parts and 24 hour turnaround."
    List Price: $69.99
    Availability: Usually ships the next business day
    They also have a coupon for 10%.

The second site is called cellphone- repair-shop and then you could look up the Blackberry and the service and see the information that I have below.

Part #: BlackberryChargePortRepair
    Manufacturer: Cellphone Repair Service
    Rim Blackberry charge port, usb system connector, charger port, charging plug cellphone repair and diagnostic service (Labor charge, Replacement parts not included)
    Rim Blackberry charge port, usb system connector, charger port, charging plug cellphone repair and diagnostic service (Labor charge, Replacement parts not included)

Broken Blackbery USB Charger Loose Blackberry Charging Port

Defective Blackberry System Connector Don't worry, We can fix it

List Price: $60.00
    Price: $39.00

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Now, there is the link for the product and two services that say that they can replace the port. I did not include the link for the other product that I saw. Hopefully, this is enough for someone to say, "now I see what you are talking about, and it looks possible" or "sorry, I tried that and it doesn't work" or something similar. Also, if people have had business with either of these shops, that could be helpful as well. My thought was that if the product that I asked about works, then the cost of that is less then the cost of the repair, and I don't have to send the phone away.

Thanks again, for your suggestion, about including links so people could see what I was talking about. Sorry I didn't think of that on my own.
    05-19-10 02:54 PM
    . As to your comment on Bluetooth, my laptop is paired with the phone, that was never the problem - it is only in transferring information, that never seems to work. Thanks for replying anyway.
    What kind of information are you trying to transfer?
    05-19-10 03:05 PM
    What kind of information are you trying to transfer?
    Hi cookie1069,
    Thanks for your interest. I had originally wanted to be able to sync, contacts, calendar, and tasks. Then as I started using docs to go, I thought it would be nice to do that, and now because of the problem with my device where many files including pictures, music, etc. are on the media card and I keep getting that some files are encrypted, I would still like to be able to sync as much information as possible. If not copy the whole media card so I can somehow get rid of encryption that I never put on. In any case, even if I could sync calendar and contacts and tasks through Bluetooth, that is helpful. II had tried several products and right now, just use Goo Sync, but I always get duplicates of events or contacts. If I was able to just send a file or folder wirelessly without having to use goo sync, I would be better off. I also had started using Mozilla sunbird calendar, but then it won't sync properly with the Blackberry calendar or the google calendar. Seems, I can't get everything to go. I had also tried pocket informant and recently agendus. Again, anything I could do would be helpful.
    Thanks
    05-19-10 03:22 PM
    I have a similar problem my blackberry charging port stopped working so i bought the charging dock but then that stopped working too so i thought maybe it was the battery...i bought another battery and it still doesnt charge...but when i put my battery in my friends blackberry then it charges....does anybody know if i can fix this?!?! please help! thank you
    06-10-10 12:55 AM
    Good morning tinah07,
    I am sorry that you are that you are having a similar problem. In my posts, I did list a few sites that repair the charging ports, you could just do a search on Blackberry repairs, and I am sure that you will find them. It seems like a common problem. On the other hand, you mentioned you bought the charging dock which sounds like what I was asking about. I tried it and it didn't work. I did go on Amazon and found a charging pod for under $10 that the Curve sits in, and that works great for charging. If your port is broken, like mine, I decided to buy a micro SD adapter, took my card from the phone, put it in the adapter, plugged that into A USB port on the computer, and now transfer information, back up, sync, and whatever else is needed,then put the card back in my Blackberry. I can keep all my informatition, although the first time, I got some duplicates and a few other problems. I thought it was better then sending it out for repair, the charger works, and I didn't lose anything critical, and like I said, the charging pod was less then $10 and the adapter was about $12 and bought locally - so together it was less then the repair cost, and I didn't have to send it out or worry what someone else might mess up or take off my phone. Hope that helps.
    I have a similar problem my blackberry charging port stopped working so i bought the charging dock but then that stopped working too so i thought maybe it was the battery...i bought another battery and it still doesnt charge...but when i put my battery in my friends blackberry then it charges....does anybody know if i can fix this?!?! please help! thank you
    06-10-10 06:01 AM
    thank you but i already bought both of those items...i also bought my charging dock on amazon for under 10 bucks and a micro sd adaptor and it still does not work
    06-10-10 11:41 PM
    Hi thanks for the response. I actually don't need a Bluetooth usb adaper. My laptop is bluetooth capable already. I don't want to sound stupid, but as much as I always wanted to use the bluetooth capability exactly for that reason, it never seems to work. I know it is a different subject, but I am sure there are a lot of people who could problem use a lesson on doing it, if you feel like becoming the professor. Any instructions would be great.
    Thanks.
    Do you have "BlueFTP" installed on the device?
    If not search the freebees on this site for it.
    I don't know if it will help or not but it's worth a try.
    06-11-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD