Hello all, I'm a lurker on the site - first post, but I've been around for awhile.

I'm not usually one to use the DM, the last time I did was back in december to upgrade my OS (4.5.0.77), and that was the last time I ran a backup (and only time might I add) on my blackberry.

Regardless, this has become an issue because I've recently acquired a Storm - huge change might I add, not sure if I like it. The handy "technicians" at verizon didn't transfer my info from one blackberry to another saying their computer couldn't see my blackberry, I didn't much care thinking I could just use my backup from december. Long story short, some how my backup wasn't complete and half of my contacts are missing as well as other things that will take WEEEEKS to transfer over (yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not a fan of typing on the storm keyboard as of yet and don't look forward to sitting there inputting data).

Here's the problem, my 8330 DOES NOT get recognized by the computer.
    I have done the following:
    - installed/uninstalled my DM
    - downloaded and re-installed drivers
    - Looked up the windows update and manually made my "unknown" blackberry driver seen by using WimUsb.sys, RimUsb_AMD64.sys, rimusbnt, and RimUsbNT. My blackberry was then recognized by the computer as "blackberry device" but now shows error: code (10).
    - my storm is recognized (and driver updated through windows automatically)
    - yes my curve charges when connected (odd? yes... i know)

I am at my wits end. I've spent 2 days (literally) on this (I wish I was this adamant about studying for my boards) and can't take it anymore! I have seriously turned the internet inside and out.

please help me... please please please. I'm dying.

please
    thanks!

UPDATE!
    -we've gone around the usb issue by attempting blue tooth connection with the computer and DM. The as of right now the DM sees the blackberry, as does the computer, but the DM went "gray/hazy" after recognizing it. I restarted my blackberry, the DM saw it, backup run without "on board device memory" which can't be done on blue tooth, just completely transferred back up to my new storm!
    HURRAAAAY

So I guess those of us with USB problems should try bluetooth. Now I'm going to try re-install my OS, as I've heard this can be the problem.
    Last edited by nicstx; 05-27-09 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typooooooos
    05-25-09 03:15 PM
    Try restarting your PC then do the following with DM running.

XP: With your BB plugged in go to Start/My Computer/View system information/Hardware/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers then right click on BlackBerry Smartphone and uninstall then unplug the BB and plug it back in.

Vista: With your BB plugged in go to Start/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers then right click on BlackBerry Smartphone and uninstall then unplug the BB and plug it back in.
    05-25-09 03:20 PM
    done,
    -"usb not recognized"
    - 8330 now shows as unknown device
    - DM doesn't see it
    05-25-09 03:26 PM
    done,
    -"usb not recognized"
    - 8330 now shows as unknown device
    - DM doesn't see it
    Are you using the USB cable that came with your BB?

If you have any other cables try them.

Have you tried other USB ports?
    05-25-09 03:46 PM
    My computer does not recognize one of my 9530s on one of my Laptops, either. My other Laptop recognizes my other 9530. I do not understand either. I have tried uninstalling the DM, going to the Device Mgr on the Laptop, etc, rebooting the PC & the BB, tried other USB ports and the other Factory connection cable with my other BB 9530
    Last edited by carolinacajun; 05-25-09 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clearer Info
    05-25-09 03:47 PM
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be the port for connecting the cable. Verizon sent me a replacment/refurb which has worked fine ever since.
    05-25-09 04:00 PM
    Are you using the USB cable that came with your BB?

If you have any other cables try them.

Have you tried other USB ports?
    -I am using the one that that came with the BB, and have tried other cables -- will try to find them and try again.
    -I've tried all ports.
    -The BB had been recognized before, again, back in december when I upgraded the OS, on this computer.
    -It doesn't work on other computers either.

what does code(10) error mean? Maybe I can fix that? I dunno

**update**
    found other usb
    plugged into 8330, windows = unknown device
    went to drivers, manually put the driver (rimusb) on the unknown device.
    now again, it's recognized as a smart phone
    not seen in DM.
    - i wish i could tell you if it were charging or not, but the battery is full and it's not giving me the charge symbol.

that's all i can think of
    Last edited by nicstx; 05-25-09 at 04:29 PM.
    05-25-09 04:21 PM
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be the port for connecting the cable. Verizon sent me a replacment/refurb which has worked fine ever since.
    say it ain't so!
    I wish BB had a way to backup onto a memory drive... my life would be so much easier.
    05-25-09 04:24 PM
    -I am using the one that that came with the BB, and have tried other cables -- will try to find them and try again.
    -I've tried all ports.
    -The BB had been recognized before, again, back in december when I upgraded the OS, on this computer.
    -It doesn't work on other computers either.

what does code(10) error mean? Maybe I can fix that? I dunno
    I'm away from my PC right now but I just Googled code 10 error and some results for Microsoft Support came up so Google it and you should be able to find a fix

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 04:28 PM
    sadly I have, most of today actually. Nothing seems to pertain to my situation or those with blackberries that see code 10 either don't get help via BB savvy people, somehow amazingly get their bb to work by plugging it in differently or completely replacing their blackberry with no hope of back up...

I have not had such luck - and just one ONE back up, that's all... just one

but thanks for trying to help!!!

anyone else with any other ideas?

my browsing has found (for others with my problem)
    - http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/833...roblems-33504/
    - BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Mass Storage mode - BlackBerry 9500 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    - BlackBerry Support Community Forums - HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device - BlackBerry® Desktop Software - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    - View Document

if others have had this problem feel free to jump in with your own ideas... especially if you solved this issue!!!
    Last edited by nicstx; 05-27-09 at 11:29 AM.
    05-25-09 04:34 PM
    Did you say that the VZW store's PC wouldn't detect your Curve either?

I'm trying to think of things to help you out.

Maybe try taking the media card and battery out and plug it in then put the battery back in while it's still plugged in.

05-25-09 04:52 PM
    so i took the media card out, that did nothing. I also tried connecting without the battery in.
    The computer recognized it as "unknown device" then it disconnected from the computer with a picture of a battery with a slash through it on the front screen.

I will try to plug it in without battery and then then put the battery in -- will update shortly

p.s. thanks for everything

**update**
    still not recognized, but when i click on the "usb not recognized - click here" bubble it doesn't say unknown device, it says blackberry smart phone (may be because i re manually installed rimusbNT on it, i dunno).

no likey

any way for me to import my contacts on to my memory card? i don't care about anything else. I have attendings, and addresses, and school important things on here that I need for the upcoming match. I guess my contacts would be the most important thing to me.

or even enable mass storage some how and then get into my contacts?
    Last edited by nicstx; 05-25-09 at 05:12 PM.
    05-25-09 05:03 PM
    You can export your address book via bluetooth maybe you can look into that.

05-25-09 05:19 PM
    this computer doesn't have blue tooth (or my other one actually)

will check if those around me might and update. Let me know if you think of anything else.
    05-25-09 05:25 PM
    ok! got a computer with bluetooth access -- DM will automatically detect my bb?

i'm going to install DM on their computer, and check back in soon
    05-25-09 05:40 PM
    To pair with the PC make sure bluetooth is on and the PC is discoverable then on your BB:

Open the Set Up Bluetooth icon and search for devices and once the BB and PC are paired highlight the PC in the Paired Devices list and press the trackball and select Transfer Address Book.

When it's finished transferring: From the PC go to Start/Run/type "wab" and hit OK and the PC Address Book will open and you should see your complete list of addresses from the BB.

On Vista click Start and type "wab" in the search bar at the bottom of the window.

Then you might have to transfer the contacts to Outlook and sync them to your BB via DM.
    Last edited by blackngray70; 05-25-09 at 06:58 PM.
    05-25-09 06:15 PM
    would i be able to connect to DM exactly the same way through bluetooth as i would with a USB cable? i'm having the same issues and telus will not help with my storm. 'use device not recognized'. if i can still update OS's and do mass media work through bluetooth then i'll still be happy

PS-i'd test this myself but i dont have access to a computer with bluetoot at this point in time

UPDATE: shoulda just taken 2 minutes out to search. FLAME ME! I DESERVE IT!!!
    Last edited by 2face-MazE; 05-25-09 at 09:05 PM.
    05-25-09 09:01 PM
    I am having exactly the same problem and have tried all of the above suggested fixes. I even went so far as to wipe EVERYTHING on my laptop out and reset it to the original factory specifications.

I'm about to conclude that there is something wrong with that last batch of Vista and/or XP updates that has messed me up. I can't blame it solely on Vista since I also tried it on an XP machine. I have been using DM to synch and backup routinely then it all quit working two or three weeks ago. My battery will charge but other than that nothing.

Not only am I going to lose my contacts, I have an entire e-library that I can no longer transfer (yikes!) and I have no access to Bluetooth.

Any more ideas?
    05-25-09 10:06 PM
    Next time you try to connect to DM check this setting:

Run DM and click on Options then Connection Options and set Connection Type to USB.

If you don't get anywhere with that un-install DM and download and install DM 4.6 without Media Manager from HERE and see if you can connect.
    Last edited by blackngray70; 05-26-09 at 06:11 AM.
    05-26-09 05:47 AM
    would i be able to connect to DM exactly the same way through bluetooth as i would with a USB cable? i'm having the same issues and telus will not help with my storm. 'use device not recognized'. if i can still update OS's and do mass media work through bluetooth then i'll still be happy

PS-i'd test this myself but i dont have access to a computer with bluetoot at this point in time

UPDATE: shoulda just taken 2 minutes out to search.[/URL] FLAME ME! I DESERVE IT!!!
    kudos for posting the link! I still haven't been able to get back to my friend's computer - downloading DM took a minute and I went back to my books. Will update later.

Did this work for you?

p.s. annoying... i had to go back and delete your link because I don't have enough posts. ugh.
    05-26-09 01:24 PM
    HURRAAAAAAAAY! Bluetooth connection has been establish (as of a minute ago) however the DM on the computer connected to it has gone gray! UGGGH!

We're waiting to see if it normalizes, but at least the BB is recognized and the pin is showing up.

Will keep you updated, thanks for all your help, and the link posted earlier about blue tooth connection.

anyone else with this problem should try this alternative. If all goes well I'm going to try to reinstall my OS (i've read this can be the problem) and see if that solves my usb issue... but i'm getting ahead of myself.

anyone know how to get DM out of "gray mode?
    05-27-09 11:25 AM
    Not sure if this will help you out now but hers what I have done when I had this problem. Remove all RIM products.
    1 uninstall DM 4.7 through add/remove.
    2 get windows installer cleanup utility and run it.
    3 DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:check your registry. start run type regedit. Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/RESEARCH IN MOTION AND DELETE ALL. THEN HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/RESEARCH IN MOTION. Do the same.(always make a backup of your registry before making any changes.)
    4 reboot PC.
    5 download DM 4.6 again and install.
    6 download and install your OS.
    05-27-09 11:42 AM
    so i turned off the blackberry and back on, hazy screen gone, clicked back up and restore. Apparently "on board device memory" can not be transferred over bluetooth? i don't know what that entails, but if my contacts are transferred i'm happy.

p.s. what is on board device memory? -- i'll search now and update if i figure it out before you answer
    05-27-09 12:16 PM
    so i turned off the blackberry and back on, hazy screen gone, clicked back up and restore. Apparently "on board device memory" can not be transferred over bluetooth? i don't know what that entails, but if my contacts are transferred i'm happy.

p.s. what is on board device memory? -- i'll search now and update if i figure it out before you answer
    I think that is probably the media card.
    05-27-09 12:20 PM
    Everything has been resolved, thanks for everything everybody!
    05-27-09 01:37 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD