In an effort to help myself financially I'm considering cutting off my cable modem service to my laptop I know I can connect my berry via cord to laptop and use it as a modem. I have a data plan with t mobile, I believe its unlimited
    My question for those who do this is, is this a good solution? Is the connection pretty good? The one time I tried it I didn't notice a lag. Does anyone use this as sole way to connect laptop to internet?
    A@preciate any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 03:21 PM
    I found the usage to be unpredictable. Some times it would work for hours, and some times it would bomb out after a few minutes. When it works, I find it to be plenty tolerable as far as performance is concerned.

I don't know how much you'll be saving per month dumping cable internet, but a very reliable solution is TetherBerry. The connection is flawless and the speed is much faster than the cell network. The downside is that there's a one time fee of $60. If the dollars work for you it's what I would do.

BTW, TMO is unlimited data.
    03-24-09 03:39 PM
    Hey I'll check into that, thank you

03-24-09 04:15 PM
    I am coming to the end of my contract for my Verizon Aircard in June. I will not br be renewing it. When tethering with my Curve I get the same thing, only it's included in my phone service. And the speed is comparable. I also have T-Mobile and there is no extra charge! Love it!

03-24-09 11:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply.. I still don't get what tetherberry would do for me that plugging my phone into the cord into the laptop wont do.
    03-25-09 12:11 AM
    contact tmobile and see if any data limits on tethering. i think all carries have limits on that.
    03-25-09 01:12 AM
    Thanks for the reply.. I still don't get what tetherberry would do for me that plugging my phone into the cord into the laptop wont do.
    TetherBerry doesn't use your phones modem capability like regular tethering. It funnels the internet to you from there site (I think). Here's a link to their FAQ:FAQs | TetherBerry

A search might yield more information. The key is very reliable connections and faster speeds than plain tethering.
    03-25-09 07:34 AM
    contact tmobile and see if any data limits on tethering. i think all carries have limits on that.
    TMO has no limit on data.
    03-25-09 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD